Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming build with working NVRAM

Thanks for this pastrychef! Got my Z390 M Gaming up and running with the OpenCore 0.7.3 files. One issue - system will not sleep. Screen goes back, system "wakes up", but fans don't shut off and power light stays on.

Code:
pmset -g assertions
2021-10-03 18:30:11 -0700
Assertion status system-wide:
   BackgroundTask                 0
   ApplePushServiceTask           0
   UserIsActive                   1
   PreventUserIdleDisplaySleep    0
   PreventSystemSleep             0
   ExternalMedia                  0
   PreventUserIdleSystemSleep     0
   NetworkClientActive            0
Listed by owning process:
   pid 98(hidd): [0x00003547000987a1] 00:00:00 UserIsActive named: "com.apple.iohideventsystem.queue.tickle.4294968371.3"
    Timeout will fire in 1200 secs Action=TimeoutActionRelease
Kernel Assertions: 0x4=USB
   id=500  level=255 0x4=USB mod=1969-12-31, 4:00 PM description=com.apple.usb.externaldevice.14300000 owner=Keyboard Hub
   id=507  level=255 0x4=USB mod=1969-12-31, 4:00 PM description=com.apple.usb.externaldevice.14330000 owner=USB Receiver
Idle sleep preventers: IODisplayWrangler

I tried adding darkwake=0 which didn't help. Only connected USB devices are mouse and keyboard. Specs are in my sig. Any thoughts from anyone?

There doesn't seem to be anything preventing sleep other than "UserIsActive"...

Hey all.

I've been following CaseySJ's thread on z390 Designare for a long time as I have several builds based on that thread, and recently something came to light that I wanted to share here as it appears to apply to this board as well (hopefully it's okay to do this and I have this Moderator's blessing!). I take no credit and fully disclose that I'm definitely not qualified to really know the ins-and-outs of all of this stuff -- nor do I fully understand how and why certain things like SSDTs function -- I'm just a very rudimentary practitioner! And of course, Pastrychef, please yell at me or correct any and all statements as you see fit, or if somehow I missed that this has been discussed previously.

I am a video editor, and one of my machines in particular had this strange problem that REQUIRED VT-d to be enabled in BIOS to circumnavigate (having to do with a BlackMagic PCIe card). In the past year, Casey and his skilled contributors developed the means to more properly enable VT-d in such a way that MacOS truly found it activated (Apple VTd), which can have the benefit of improved Thunderbolt device support, and better functioning wifi/ethernet.

Here goes;
Pastrychef acknowledges (sorry to speak of you in third person!) that he has never had a build that cared if VT-d is enabled in bios or not -- and I agree I've never seen ill-effects either way. However on my build, it seems Mac OS wasn't truly utilizing VT-d as if AppleVTD was available. Using Opencore (in my case 073) if one applies the same SSDT-DMAR.aml from the Designare thread (along with some OC config adjustments), AppleVTD will appear in IOReg like it would on a real Mac.

All info can be found here:
Enable AppleVTD with No Impact to WiFi and Ethernet

In a nutshell:
1) Enable VT-d in BIOS
2) Install the SSDT-DMAR.aml in OC/ACPI (attached)
3) Add the SSDT-DMAR.aml to the ACPI section in config
4) Uncheck DisableIoMapper in Kernel Quirks
5) Remove dart=0 from boot-args (if it exists)
6) Delete the standard DMAR table by adding an entry in ACPI/Delete
7) Reboot

I hope this a welcome contribution!

The following images were borrowed from Casey's thread:
screen-shot-2021-07-06-at-4-53-13-am-png.523868

screen-shot-2021-09-15-at-9-56-52-am-png.529007

screen-shot-2021-07-06-at-4-12-43-am-png.523867

I just made the appropriate changes and everything seems to be working. Thanks again!

There doesn't seem to be anything preventing sleep other than "UserIsActive"...
@tertiumsquid -- I struggled with sleep on my hack for a while, but I think I've got it going. I haven't had a problem in a while and it's been sleeping fine.

1) Check your energy savings settings. Post a screenshot - that will help. Make sure to uncheck “Prevent computer from sleeping automatically when the display is off” and “Wake for Wi-Fi network access.” Check “Put hard disks to sleep when possible” Set your sleep time for around 30 min to 1 h for this test.

2) Make a note of the time, then don't touch the computer until well past the time period that you set the computer to go to sleep.

3) In terminal, type pmset -g log and look at the output. Specifically during the time that the computer is supposed to go to sleep. For example, if you set your computer to go to sleep after 1 h, then your last activity is 3 pm, check what the computer is doing at 4 pm

After many months of doing this, using pmset -g log I narrowed my problems down to some background activity.

1) If you have a web browser up and it is playing media, then that will prevent sleep.
2) The Apple Stocks app sometimes prevents sleep. I have no idea when and why.
3) If you have an Apple TV connected, sometimes it prevent sleep
4) Some applications prevent sleep. VueScan is one example
5) If you have Time Machine, it will prevent sleep when it is backing up. Sometimes after an OS update, it will take a while as it is backing up and may push it past the time limit to sleep.

If nothing in the background is preventing sleep then try deleting these from your Library/Preferences, then restarting:

com.apple.powerlogd.plist com.apple.PowerManagement.7D11C3CC-80C9-56F3-84C8-BDFB8E5B39B3.plist com.apple.PowerManagement.plist

You'll have to re-specify your sleep preferences after restart.

If that doesn't work, then the nuclear option is to reinstall the operating system. I had to resort to that. If, after a fresh reinstall, the rig doesn't sleep reliably, then I'm out of ideas!

Ted

Great! But all thanks goes to Casey and his contributors... and you!!
@SmackAttack @pastrychef

I'm going to try this on my Z390 Gaming X rig! What does enabling AppleVTD do? Is there a benefit in performance or is it specific requirement for particular applications?

@SmackAttack @pastrychef

I'm going to try this on my Z390 Gaming X rig! What does enabling AppleVTD do? Is there a benefit in performance or is it specific requirement for particular applications?
My understanding is limited and I'd say it's not a performance benefit but a requirement for proper functioning with particular applications (devices); specifically for those with Antelope Audio devices, certain Thunderbolt devices, wifi/ethernet devices, or, in my case, certain PCIe devices that seem to need it to function properly. There's also mention that OC 0.7.3+ may prefer to have AppleVTD functional going forward.

My understanding is limited and I'd say it's not a performance benefit but a requirement for proper functioning with particular applications (devices); specifically for those with Antelope Audio devices, certain Thunderbolt devices, wifi/ethernet devices, or, in my case, certain PCIe devices that seem to need it to function properly. There's also mention that OC 0.7.3+ may prefer to have AppleVTD functional going forward.
Well in the true spirit of Hackintoshing, I will see if it works on my mobo, even though I have no idea if I actually need it :D

Thanks @SmackAttack for posting here, and of course to CaseySJ and the group for their constant tweaking.

Well in the true spirit of Hackintoshing, I will see if it works on my mobo, even though I have no idea if I actually need it :D

Thanks @SmackAttack for posting here, and of course to CaseySJ and the group for their constant tweaking.
I know that the DMAR.aml needs to be modified for some (most) other boards as it's pretty specific but I wouldn't have the slightest idea how to: 1) determine that it does, and 2) actually do so.

Sure, I can open and change stuff in MaciASL or a p-list editor but beyond that it's kind of gibberish to me. I wish I could! For now, my maximum is probably customizing USB port assignments! Pathetic compared to many who contribute to these forums!!!

OpenCore EFI updated to version 0.7.4.

All kexts updated to latest release versions.
Made appropriate additions to enable AppleVTD. (make sure VT-d is enabled in BIOS)

This will likely be the minimum version of OpenCore we will need if we want to update to Monterey.

Remember to test the new EFI on a USB flash drive before deleing your existing/working EFI.

Back