Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming build with working NVRAM

I had some issues with my "backup" system for a moment and have not been able to test out the variations yet. Is there an OpenCore option I can try that works with igpu?

I will post video of the panics either later tonight or tomorrow.

I know I keep saying it but thank you so much for your help with this! I know we can get it there but still not real sure what that is going to look like. I read in another post you said the integrated memory controller for the 9900k is more finicky could any of the issues be coming from the ram I'm using? I mentioned it earlier its the g skill sport 2400 16 x 2 sticks.

Is there an option where we emulate NVRAM and not tweak the bios or is that not an issue here?

I never tried making an OpenCore EFI for IGPU only systems. I was too lazy to pull my video card again. The case I have doesn't leave much room to work in especially with the ginormous heatsink that I use...

You can disable XMP in BIOS until you have things stable to ensure that RAM isn't an issue.

Thanks again, @pastrychef - my new build is flying.

Does this mean my NVRAM is working and I unlocked MSR correctly?

Screenshot 2020-03-01 13.35.19.png

View attachment 452551

As per forum rules, please complete your profile to include your CPU, motherboard, and GPU. It makes it much easier for others to help you.

That doesn't really tell if MSR is unlocked... The fact that you are able to boot with my EFI is a good indication. But if you want to confirm MSR is unlocked, please see this post.

Also, if you want to confirm that NVRAM is working, just mute the audio after booting in to macOS, then reboot. If the audio is still muted after reboot, NVRAM should be working.

I never tried making an OpenCore EFI for IGPU only systems. I was too lazy to pull my video card again. The case I have doesn't leave much room to work in especially with the ginormous heatsink that I use...

You can disable XMP in BIOS until you have things stable to ensure that RAM isn't an issue.
So....I tried booting without doing the bios patch and everything works perfectly...

This means I don’t have native nvram though right? I’m not trying to use handoff or the iPad thing and imessage App Store have been fine for me before doing it through Clover, am I good then. I can’t believe it was that simple if that’s the case!

So....I tried booting without doing the bios patch and everything works perfectly...

This means I don’t have native nvram though right? I’m not trying to use handoff or the iPad thing and imessage App Store have been fine for me before doing it through Clover, am I good then. I can’t believe it was that simple if that’s the case!

Are you using the EFI that I provided? Do you have EmuVariableUefi.efi installed in /EFI/CLOVER/drivers/UEFI/?

You can try the NVRAM test that I explained in post #353.

Are you using the EFI that I provided? Do you have EmuVariableUefi.efi installed in /EFI/CLOVER/drivers/UEFI/?

You can try the NVRAM test that I explained in post #353.

Yeah I’m using the folder you sent me when I was having all those issues, everything works and I tried your test and it stayed muted. I should be good from here thank you for all your help!
Why do you thing that patch was the root of all evil for me? It’s a rev 1 board w the current bios version.

Yeah I’m using the folder you sent me when I was having all those issues, everything works and I tried your test and it stayed muted. I should be good from here thank you for all your help!
Why do you thing that patch was the root of all evil for me? It’s a rev 1 board w the current bios version.

I have no idea why you had issues with the MSR. I suggest that you save your BIOS profile to a USB flash drive in case the CMOS gets cleared, you can just recover all your settings from the flash drive.

Is your Thunderbolt device also working well?

View attachment 452551
Follow this you can test it your NVRAM.

Time to reboot and test new bootloaders and kexts versions...

Screen Shot 2020-03-02 at 5.13.12 PM.png

Updated both the Clover and OpenCore EFI folders. Latest release versions of the bootloaders and kexts are in there.

To update:
  1. Make backups of everything.
  2. Download and unZip your EFI of choice.
  3. Copy/Paste your Serial, Board Serial, UUID (and MAC address if you are on OpenCore) to the included config.plists.
  4. Replace the EFI folders in the EFI partitions of your main system drive.
  5. Reboot.
* I have not tried the new boot picker and boot chime functions of OpenCore. I have no plans to incorporate these yet.

Back