Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming build with working NVRAM

@pastrychef

Do you have any guide for vega 56 changes fan speed?

My Gigabyte Radeon RX VEGA 56 GAMING OC 8G get overheating. And the IOREG shows the GPU with 70c and the fans always run at low speed, the fan speed never over 2000 rpm.

@pastrychef

My Gigabyte Radeon RX VEGA 56 GAMING OC 8G get overheating. And the IOREG shows the GPU with 70c and the fans always run at low speed, the fan speed never over 2000 rpm.
What were you doing when it was 70°C?

@pastrychef

I used VGTab to change my settings a long time ago and kept the same settings through all the macOS updates.

wow 4k w/ all Effects
Classic? 70°C is not very hot for the series at all so the fan speed would not raise. Retail WoW for me often reaches about near 76°C and the fan speed would be between 1800rpm to 2600rpm.

Classic? 70°C is not very hot for the series at all so the fan speed would not raise. Retail WoW for me often reaches about near 76°C and the fan speed would be between 1800rpm to 2600rpm.
did you get screen freeze when playing the wow? Sometimes, I got computer crash(white screen) while playing the game.

It seems like the video card overheating.

did you get screen freeze when playing the wow? Sometimes, I got computer crash(white screen) while playing the game.

It seems like the video card overheating.
Honestly I game on Windows only so I could be benefitted by Radeon Software.

Finally my TB3 SSD Enclosure arrived, testing Titan Ridge 1.0 with Thunderbolt 3 Orico SSD Enclosure and SSD 512GB KingSpec.
TB3 Orico.jpeg
TB3 Speed.jpeg

what is your vgtab setting, can you share it?

It's been a long time, but I think these are the settings I used...

MSI Vega 56 Air Boost:
1592Mhz GPU Freq
1010mV GPU core voltage
920MHz HBM2
50C Target Temp

PowerColor Vega 56 Red Dragon (w/ Sapphire Vega 64 vBIOS):
1640MHz GPU Freq
1060mV GPU core voltage
1075MHz HBM2
50C Target Temp

If memory serves me correctly, after a certain point, GPU Freq gave diminishing returns and there was much more to gain from increased HBM2 speed.

Back