Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming build with working NVRAM

In Clover I have a SmUUID and a Custom UUID. Which one do I use for Open Core.

Also for the MAC address, does it matter if I use the ethernet or wifi address?

Ok, so I put the EFI onto my USB drive that I use for testing. For some reason the BIOS isn't giving me the option to boot from my USB drive, so I still end up in the clover menu. I can then choose my USB drive and boot from it, but I don't think that's using open core then?

Nevermind: Figured this out. I had copied over the whole EFI Open core folder, not just the EFI subfolder underneath.

Last edited:
Ok, so I see the USB drive in the BIOS to boot from. It shows up as both OpenCore and a drive. Regardless of which one I choose, I get to the open core screen, but I only see my M2 drive which still has clover in the EFI. It doesn't give me the option to boot off my USB drive.

Attachments

• IMG_8656.jpg
    IMG_8656.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 42
Ok, so I see the USB drive in the BIOS to boot from. It shows up as both OpenCore and a drive. Regardless of which one I choose, I get to the open core screen, but I only see my M2 drive which still has clover in the EFI. It doesn't give me the option to boot off my USB drive.

You already booted from the USB drive... Do you also have an operating system on the USB drive?

You already booted from the USB drive... Do you also have an operating system on the USB drive?

Yes, I made sure I could boot from it using clover, then I swapped out the EFI. Booting into MacOS doesn't show up as an option for my USB drive though.

Yes, I made sure I could boot from it using clover, then I swapped out the EFI. Booting into MacOS doesn't show up as an option for my USB drive though.

What OS is it? How was the USB drive initialized?

What OS is it? How was the USB drive initialized?

I am using Mojave 10.4.6. Will that work with your open core EFI?

It's been a few months, but I had created a USB installer thumb drive, then formatted and installed Mojave on my external USB SSD drive. Once Mojave was installed on the USB SSD drive, I replaced the EFI with the clover one so that I could boot off of it. To test open core, I changed the EFI Folder with the open core EFI.

I do see an OCquirks error message that shows up on the screen with the gigabyte logo when the machine first boots, before it goes into the open core screen. I'll post a picture of it tonight. Maybe that is the issue? I was also looking through the sanity checker for the open core plist, and it was suggesting some changes.

Looks like I may need to change the scan policy to allow a boot from USB?

By default, ScanPolicy is given a value of 0x10F0103(17,760,515) which is the combination of the following:

• OC_SCAN_FILE_SYSTEM_LOCK
  • OC_SCAN_DEVICE_LOCK
  • OC_SCAN_ALLOW_FS_APFS
  • OC_SCAN_ALLOW_DEVICE_SATA
  • OC_SCAN_ALLOW_DEVICE_SASEX
  • OC_SCAN_ALLOW_DEVICE_SCSI
  • OC_SCAN_ALLOW_DEVICE_NVME
  • OC_SCAN_ALLOW_DEVICE_PCI
And lets just say for this example that you want to add OC_SCAN_ALLOW_DEVICE_USB:

0x00200000 + 0x10F0103 = 0x12F0103

And converting this to decimal gives us 19,857,667

Ok, sorry for all the posts. Modifying the scan policy now shows me all my drives. When I try to boot from the USB drive or my normal M2 SSD drive, I get this security policy error. Ever seen that?

Attachments

• IMG_8659.jpg
    IMG_8659.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 48
Back