Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming build with working NVRAM

When I switched over to your native nvram method one of the few things I didn't do was switch to USBPorts kext, but stuck with USBInjectAll and the port configuration I had built for that because it seemed to work fine. Although now that I'm trying every port the lower red port that I thought I had configured for USB3 only does not seem to work. Maybe I should read up on the USBPorts method.

Not sure I have a working powered USB hub around any more.

Yeah, try to configure the USB ports. Hackintool will help do the USB power injection.

I was wondering if the C920 needed more power than the motherboard USB ports are providing. That's why I suggested trying a powered hub. My C920 has worked great since day 1. I never had to do anything extra in terms of configuration.

Is there a easy way to switch between different options like with that EFI? I have 10.15.3 now but can update and then load the one you mentioned

Use the config.plist from post #4 if you are on 10.15.3.

ok got it working, had to create the EFI folder with the files. Sound and video are working great.

USB works but my mouse needed re-plugged in to work after it started up.

Testing other stuff now will update after, thank you for all the help!

Last edited:
ok not sure why but when I copy the EFI from the USB over it works, but when I download and copy it over it stops at the bios not seeing at as an option any idea what I could be missing?

I don't know. It shouldn't make any difference.

Been a minute since I configured a build based around this motherboard for a friend. I figured I'd check back in and give an update.
The install process was frustrating, perhaps because I was using a 5600 XT card, but with Pastry Chef's patient and invaluable assistance, finally got into Catalina, and my friend has been very pleased moving to this system from the dual core 2010 Mac Mini Server that I gave him many years ago to try his hand at the Macintosh operating system. I configured his system with OSX installed on a 256GB sata SSD, raided two more of the same drives to make his work volume, and threw a 3.5" spinner in for bulk storage. Everything seemed fairly well balanced, and I'd say the system worked out 99% perfect.
Perhaps the only hangup was that the wifi card never quite "fit" right with the front bracket - seemed to unlevel itself in the socket when i screwed it down, so had to leave it "loose", and never did get bluetooth working on that card, although probably not a huge deal for him. Instructions with the card were in Chinese, but I did run the bluetooth cable into a USB header on the mobo - He wasn't too worried about it and had a project that required immediate attention, so I never played with anything in Bios or spent any effort to troubleshoot. I did notice that I only had tow antenna connected out of the three on the card, but short of snipping the the microcup connector and soldering it onto a pad on the card I didn't see anywhere it could have gone. He didn't seem concerned with bluetooth at all so I didn't worry about it much, but I will say it kinda troubled my OCD a little bit not having that final item resolved, lol.
One thing I noticed about the whole process (this was my second hackintosh build so far) was that the guides on the site seem a little dated, and searching for simple questions was cumbersome. That's why I really do, once more, want to express my profound appreciation for the help that Pastry Chef has given everyone in this thread. If I had to do it again, I would perhaps choose a different mobo - I think I was going on my years old assumption that Gigabyte was the most "Golden" of builds, lol.
Guess I did have one final "question", though I think I know the answer, but his kid wants to use his Oculus Rift on the system, so I had him buy a NVMe drive and I'm gonna throw windows on there - but since the guides are still recommending formatting in mac os journaled for the hack side of things, just wanted to check the recommendation that a separate drive for windows should be configured by OSX first as GPT partition and then a standard uEFI install of Windows will get everything working- have to admit It would be easier if I can just configure the drive here at my house on my Windows system and then just drop it into his build and have Clover play nicely on the boot screen,
Mainly, I wanted to check in a say thanks. I see that the site is now supporting discussions on Ryzen builds, so, who knows, if I ever migrate off my Nvidia RTX gpu i might give a go at dual booting my gaming computer.

Been a minute since I configured a build based around this motherboard for a friend. I figured I'd check back in and give an update.
The install process was frustrating, perhaps because I was using a 5600 XT card, but with Pastry Chef's patient and invaluable assistance, finally got into Catalina, and my friend has been very pleased moving to this system from the dual core 2010 Mac Mini Server that I gave him many years ago to try his hand at the Macintosh operating system. I configured his system with OSX installed on a 256GB sata SSD, raided two more of the same drives to make his work volume, and threw a 3.5" spinner in for bulk storage. Everything seemed fairly well balanced, and I'd say the system worked out 99% perfect.
Perhaps the only hangup was that the wifi card never quite "fit" right with the front bracket - seemed to unlevel itself in the socket when i screwed it down, so had to leave it "loose", and never did get bluetooth working on that card, although probably not a huge deal for him. Instructions with the card were in Chinese, but I did run the bluetooth cable into a USB header on the mobo - He wasn't too worried about it and had a project that required immediate attention, so I never played with anything in Bios or spent any effort to troubleshoot. I did notice that I only had tow antenna connected out of the three on the card, but short of snipping the the microcup connector and soldering it onto a pad on the card I didn't see anywhere it could have gone. He didn't seem concerned with bluetooth at all so I didn't worry about it much, but I will say it kinda troubled my OCD a little bit not having that final item resolved, lol.
One thing I noticed about the whole process (this was my second hackintosh build so far) was that the guides on the site seem a little dated, and searching for simple questions was cumbersome. That's why I really do, once more, want to express my profound appreciation for the help that Pastry Chef has given everyone in this thread. If I had to do it again, I would perhaps choose a different mobo - I think I was going on my years old assumption that Gigabyte was the most "Golden" of builds, lol.
Guess I did have one final "question", though I think I know the answer, but his kid wants to use his Oculus Rift on the system, so I had him buy a NVMe drive and I'm gonna throw windows on there - but since the guides are still recommending formatting in mac os journaled for the hack side of things, just wanted to check the recommendation that a separate drive for windows should be configured by OSX first as GPT partition and then a standard uEFI install of Windows will get everything working- have to admit It would be easier if I can just configure the drive here at my house on my Windows system and then just drop it into his build and have Clover play nicely on the boot screen,
Mainly, I wanted to check in a say thanks. I see that the site is now supporting discussions on Ryzen builds, so, who knows, if I ever migrate off my Nvidia RTX gpu i might give a go at dual booting my gaming computer.

Make sure that you have the USB cable from your Wi-Fi/Bluetooth card connected to F_USB1 on the motherboard. Once the USB cable is connected to a working USB port, Bluetooth should immediately start working.

Depending on which Wi-Fi/Bluetooth card you are using, it may have 2, 3, or 4 antennas. I think the 2 antenna version is most common.

If you want, you can certainly install Windows on your computer and then bring the NVMe to your friend's system. I've done this plenty of times.

When installing Windows, install in UEFI mode. Format the NVMe as NTFS/GUID, not GPT.

ok got it working, had to create the EFI folder with the files. Sound and video are working great.

USB works but my mouse needed re-plugged in to work after it started up.

Testing other stuff now will update after, thank you for all the help!
Everything but sleep is working, once it goes to sleep it will not wake up...I'm using 10.15.6 with the efi from #1360 as you suggested.
I'm using bios F9j with the same bios settings from post 1
Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Everything but sleep is working, once it goes to sleep it will not wake up...I'm using 10.15.6 with the efi from #1360 as you suggested.
Any suggestions?
Using bios F9j and the DVI monitor output...read another post about unlocking the MSR and the monitor being the issue but tried a different monitor no luck on either once it goes to sleep...

Any suggestions?

Please try enabling screen sharing/VNC and see if you can connect to the system from another computer after trying to wake it.

Back