Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming build with working NVRAM

I built this with a GT 710 2G video card, the install worked well, but it only boots to the usb drive, if I attempt to boot to the hard drive I get a circle with a line through it.

I have the following issues still.

• Won't boot to the hard drive properly. was error, press any key.
    • clover menu but won't boot without using usb drive I used to install from your guide.
  • Graphics are not working right.
    • Shows as the right card but metal driver not working won't play basic games.
  • sound not working​
  • Sleep is working well, will wake up.​
  • Need to test USB ports still.​

I don't know why the GT 710 isn't working. There's nothing in the EFI folders that would inhibit it from working.

Did you copy your EFI folder to the EFI partition of your hard drive?

Edit:
Btw, I don't think the GT 710 is much of an upgrade over the UHD 630, especially when there are no tools in macOS to overclock the GT 710.

Here's a video comparing the GT 710 vs the HD 530 which is older than the UHD 630.

Last edited:
I'm not seeing it on the USB, where should it be located? I'm looking from terminal and it is not showing up...

Screen Shot 2020-09-21 at 8.56.05 AM.png

ok

that fixed it, I now have sound and it is booting. But a simple game like roblox says the graphics are to old to play... any suggestions?

As I said, I think the UHD 630 will perform better than the GT 710. The GT 710 is just too old and weak, plus I don't think Apple has updated any of the Nvidia drivers in a long time. If it were me, I'd just pull the GT 710 and use UHD 630.

The disadvantage to using UHD 630 with this motherboard is that 4K resolution will suck because it only has HDMI 1.4 which means no 60Hz @ 4K. Plus, HDMI just doesn't work well with macOS unless you are using a relatively low resolution or refresh rate.

What multibeast options do you recommend?
Z390 M with the onboard video

If you are on Catalina 10.15.5 or 10.15.6, I suggest using the EFI from post #1360.

Hi,

After months of using this setup happily and with less problems than my real Mac Pro trash can at work (which would crash once or twice a month with some sort of GPU error), I finally got around to buying a webcam, which gives me audio input. Or it was supposed to.

I bought the popular c920 webcam that everyone says is great (by amazing luck found one in Staples that came in two days ago). And it works on my High Sierra Prebook 4540s just fine, but doesn't work right on the system shown in my profile.

I get different symptoms in different situations. If I try to record a video with quicktime I get silence. If I just try to record only audio, I get fragments of audio interspersed with lots of clicks... and the audio recording is WAY longer than the time it took to record. The clicky parts race through time I guess. And if I use Google Meet, I get about 90% working audio but with some skipping and some fragments of audio repeated.

Has anyone seen anything like this before?

tom

Hi,

After months of using this setup happily and with less problems than my real Mac Pro trash can at work (which would crash once or twice a month with some sort of GPU error), I finally got around to buying a webcam, which gives me audio input. Or it was supposed to.

I bought the popular c920 webcam that everyone says is great (by amazing luck found one in Staples that came in two days ago). And it works on my High Sierra Prebook 4540s just fine, but doesn't work right on the system shown in my profile.

I get different symptoms in different situations. If I try to record a video with quicktime I get silence. If I just try to record only audio, I get fragments of audio interspersed with lots of clicks... and the audio recording is WAY longer than the time it took to record. The clicky parts race through time I guess. And if I use Google Meet, I get about 90% working audio but with some skipping and some fragments of audio repeated.

Has anyone seen anything like this before?

tom

I also have a Logitech C920 and it has always worked great, including with Siri and FaceTime.

Have you done your USB configuration?
Have you tried connecting the C920 to a powered hub? (I have mine plugged in to my monitor's built-in hub)

I also have a Logitech C920 and it has always worked great, including with Siri and FaceTime.

Have you done your USB configuration?
Have you tried connecting the C920 to a powered hub? (I have mine plugged in to my monitor's built-in hub)

When I switched over to your native nvram method one of the few things I didn't do was switch to USBPorts kext, but stuck with USBInjectAll and the port configuration I had built for that because it seemed to work fine. Although now that I'm trying every port the lower red port that I thought I had configured for USB3 only does not seem to work. Maybe I should read up on the USBPorts method.

Not sure I have a working powered USB hub around any more.

Back