Gigabyte Z390 Gaming SLI
CPU
i7-8700
Graphics
Vega 56
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
It is really a pain in the neck to make work the 3.0 USB ports in a custom mac if you are a person who uses a PC as a tool and not as a life.

UPDATE September 2020: These instructions help you to get your USB 3.0 ports working, however, as many have mentioned, it could lead to an unstable performance of your Hack. In my case, I changed my PSU for a Corsair HX 850i and connected the corsair link to a USB port and my hack started waking up every minute if set it to sleep. So you can perform this instructions and later, read [B][U]UtterDisbelief[/U][/B]'s post to finish configuring your USB ports properly:

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/the-new-beginners-guide-to-usb-port-configuration.286553/

After you finish using my steps you can skip to Step 2 in UtterDisbelif's thread to set your hack more properly or you can just start directly at his thread, the result should be the same.

Again, thanks UtterDisbelief for sharing those steps!

So, Conitinuing with my contribution:

Ive read countless threads and posts and asked moderators a lot of questions which they, by the way, answered partially. What a shame! And got some information to write this post.

For me, I use the computer as a tool, thus, I have plenty knowledge in many many things, but not in Computer Science, however, I consider myself as a very skilled computer user.

A little bit of explanation:

Why does 3.0 USB ports don't work? Well, the reason is pretty simple, however, not every thread explains it easily. Each USB 3.0 port actually is 2 ports in one: One 3.0 and one 2.0 IN THE SAME PORT! And they, all mighty gods of Apple, when writting OSX Software, have limited the port number to 15 (don't ask me why).

So, as the OSX boots, it will only "read" up to 15 ports, starting from the 2.0 USBs. It turns out, at least in my case, that there are more than 15 USB ports in my computer, and, guess what? the 3.0 ports (also called SS) are from 16 until 30 so the OS, does not care about them.

So, you need to tell the OS (using some patches when booting) That there are more ports after port number 15, so it can "read" them.

What I did.

After trying many threads (countless hours reading and trial and error). I got an Idea of how this works.

First I installed mojave (thanks Pastrychef) and after that, I updated it to 10.14.5. At this point many people complain that their USB 3.0 stopped working due to the update to 10.14.5. That was not my case because mine never did after installing mojave 10.14.4.

So, if you are as lost as I was, try doing this:

Step 1:
Download the "Hackintool" Utility. (there is not a very easy user's manual on this one).

Step 2:
Run The Hackintool and click on the "bootloader" tab. A list of patches will appear.

Step 3:
Look for these ones on the list:

USB Port limit patch #1/4 10.14.x modify by ...
USB Port limit patch #2/4 10.14.x modify by ...
USB Port limit patch #3/4 10.14.x modify by ...
USB Port limit patch #4/4 10.14.x modify by ...

Step 4:
Click on the checkbox at the left. (take a look at this image)

Screen Shot 2019-07-03 at 1.29.44 AM.png

Step 5:
Cross your fingers and, from the icons at the center bottom of the screen, click on the "apply bootloader patches" one, the one on the right.

It will ask you where to save them, be sure to save the changes to your config.plist file in your EFI Unit (where you boot clover).

Step 6:
Reboot

Step 7:
Download the "IORegisty Explorer" tool

Step 8:
Run IORegistry Explorer

Step 9:
On the top right corner, at the search bar, type: USB (or HCI). The screen should change to something like in this image:

Screen Shot 2019-07-03 at 1.30.18 AM.png

If you see a list with items starting with HS and SS followed by some numbers, CONGRATULATIONS my friend, you got it working.

WARNING.

I've read some posts that, after getting your USB 3.0 ports working by fixing this 15 port limit (kind of what we did), you should/must create your DSDT file (or whatever that is). Because there could be some issues with the memory. I don't know what that means actually and how could that affect your rig. If I ever get to know what that is and how to do it, I will update this thread. If you find it before me, I would appreciate it if you leave a comment below.

UPDATE SEPTEMBER 2020 (part 1): Following the thread that I mentioned avobe will help you to create the needed kext to use only the ports that you need in your hack, leaving the rest unused by the kernel making your hack more stable.

I hope this saves you many "but-seated" hours.

Cheers!

Last edited:
It is really a pain in the neck to make work the 3.0 USB ports in a custom mac if you are a person who uses a PC as a tool and not as a life.

Ive read countless threads and posts and asked moderators a lot of questions which they, by the way, answered partially. What a shame! And got some information to write this post.

For me, I use the computer as a tool, thus, I have plenty knowledge in many many things, but not in Computer Science, however, I consider myself as a very skilled computer user.

A bit of explanation:

Why does 3.0 USB ports don't work? Well, the reason is pretty simple, however, not every thread explains it easily. Each USB 3.0 port actually is 2 ports in one: One 3.0 and one 2.0 IN THE SAME PORT! And they all mighty gods of Apple, have limited the port number to 15 (don't ask me why). So, as the OS boots, it will only "read" up to 15 ports, starting from the USB 2.0. It turns out, at least in my case, that the 3.0 are more than 15 in my computer, and, guess what? the 3.0 ports (also called SS) are from 16 until 30 and the OS, does not care about them.

So, you need to tell the OS (using some patches when booting) That there are more ports after port number 15, so it can "read" them.

What I did.

After trying many threads (countless hours reading and trial and error), I got an Idea of how this works.

First I installed mojave (thanks Pastrychef) and after that, I updated it to 10.14.5. At this point many people complain that their USB 3.0 stop working. That was not my case because mine never did after installing mojave 10.14.4.

Step 1:

Download the "Hackintool" Utility. (there is not a very easy manual on this one)

Step 2: Run The Hackintool and click on the "bootloader" tab. A list of patches will appear.

Step 3: Look for these ones on the list:

Step 4: click on the checkbox at the left. (take a look at this image)

View attachment 414534

Step 5:
Cross your fingers and click on "apply bootloader patches" is the icon on the right from the 3 icons in the bottom center of the screen.
It will ask you where to save them, ask it to save the changes to your config.plist file in your EFI Unit (where you boot clover).

Step 6: Reboot

Step 7:

Step 8:
Run IORegistry Explorer

Step 9:
On the top right corner, at the search bar, type: USB (or HCI). The screen should change to something like in this image:

View attachment 414535

If you see a list with items starting with HS and SS followed by some numbers, CONGRATULATIONS my friend, you got it working.

WARNING.

I've read some posts that, after getting your USB 3.0 ports working by fixing this 15 port limit (kind of what we did), you should/must create your DSDT file (or whatever that is). Because there could be some issues with the memory. I don't know what that means actually and how could that affect your rig. If I ever get to know what that is and how to do it, I will update this thread. If you find it before me, I would appreciate it if you leave a comment below.

Good work:thumbup:

As you point out the reason for those four patches is to remove the port-limit Apple has imposed.

A lot of people say removing the limit like this does no harm and there is no need for an SSDT configuration. They can get quite angry too.

For whatever reason, Apple has set aside an "array" (to use an older programming phrase) big enough to accommodate the 15 ports. That means the system fully understands and controls this memory space, or array.

Problems arise when you go beyond these 'bounds' because although it might seem to work macOS now has no control over how the allocated memory is assigned. It is beyond its "knowledge". This can cause conflicts as macOS doesn't "see" the overflow.

As a daft analogy you might have a bag designed to carry 1kg of goods. It works well. You put in 1.5kg and it seems to be fine. Ha! you say. What do they know?! Then the carrying handle breaks ...

:)

Last edited:
Are you share UEFI for me?,pls. I cant install mojave. Sorry, I'm poor English

Hello,

Here is the post where pastrychef sent me the EFI File, download it unzip it and then erase your EFI partition and copy these two folders there. Then try to boot from that EFI Partition:

You should also check that thread as well, there you might find some more information regarding installation. Z370 and 2390 motherboards are not that different.

Warning, Your Motherboard should have the same hardware as mine, however, Im running a radeon R580 and, as far as I can tell, you have an intel. I don't know if that can affect you. I hope not.

Cheers.

Hello,

Here is the post where pastrychef sent me the EFI File, download it unzip it and then erase your EFI partition and copy these two folders there. Then try to boot from that EFI Partition:

You should also check that thread as well, there you might find some more information regarding installation. Z370 and 2390 motherboards are not that different.

Warning, Your Motherboard should have the same hardware as mine, however, Im running a radeon R580 and, as far as I can tell, you have an intel. I don't know if that can affect you. I hope not.

Cheers.
Oh. Thank you.

A little bit of explanation:

Why does 3.0 USB ports don't work? Well, the reason is pretty simple, however, not every thread explains it easily. Each USB 3.0 port actually is 2 ports in one: One 3.0 and one 2.0 IN THE SAME PORT! And they, all mighty gods of Apple, have limited the port number to 15 (don't ask me why). So, as the OS boots, it will only "read" up to 15 ports, starting from the 2.0 USBs. It turns out, at least in my case, that the USBs are more than 15 in my computer, and, guess what? the 3.0 ports (also called SS) are from 16 until 30 and the OS, does not care about them.

What I did.

After trying many threads (countless hours reading and trial and error), I got an Idea of how this works.

First I installed mojave (thanks Pastrychef) and after that, I updated it to 10.14.5. At this point many people complain that their USB 3.0 stop working. That was not my case because mine never did after installing mojave 10.14.4.

Step 1:
Download the "Hackintool" Utility. (there is not a very easy manual on this one)

Step 2:
Run The Hackintool and click on the "bootloader" tab. A list of patches will appear.

Step 3:
Look for these ones on the list:

Step 4:
Click on the checkbox at the left. (take a look at this image)

View attachment 414534

Step 5:
Cross your fingers and click on "apply bootloader patches" is the icon on the right from the 3 icons in the bottom center of the screen.
It will ask you where to save them, be sure to save the changes to your config.plist file in your EFI Unit (where you boot clover).

Step 6:
Reboot

Step 7:

Step 8:
Run IORegistry Explorer

Step 9:

View attachment 414535

WARNING.

Thank you very much ! It finally saved my USB ;-) I've been trying for weeks to get it working. I even posted a cry for help with no replies - https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...mit-removal-patch.274052/page-12#post-1966061...

Hi rojarrolla,

Thanks for your teaching, my usb 3.0 & usb 3.1 is finally working.
But after I executed the usb port limit, my usb 2.0 didn't work. . . Even after inserting the USB flash disc, the LED light will not light up (no power?), can you tell me how to fix it ?

Solved! Then it wasn't....it worked for a while, stopped working and this is what the registry looked like.
Screen Shot 2020-01-06 at 4.58.03 PM.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back