Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z390 Designare TB 3 Buil-int does not work ... Help me !! .. Please...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you recommend OpenCore these days? I've stuck with Clover, but not married to it.
If Clover is working then of course there's no imperative to switch to OpenCore. If you're experiencing USB port map issues, it would be good to compare your USB SSDT with SSDT-UIAC-DESIGNARE-Z390-V7.aml located in the Z390 Designare build guide.

Some Thunderbolt devices will not work unless Thunderbolt Bus is activated by flashing the firmware. However, someone was able to use his Lacie D2 Thunderbolt 2 device by connecting it to a Thunderbolt daisy-chain port on his LaCie 2Big, and connecting the 2Big directly to the Designare.

Consider the following options:
  • Connect LaCie D2 through a dock such as Belkin Thunderbolt 3 Express Dock HD.
  • Flash the Thunderbolt firmware -- only if you're comfortable with the process and have excellent near vision.
  • Consider an OWC Thunderbolt 3 hard drive enclosure instead of the LaDie D2.
So I updated SSDTs to most recent -including the Fractal Design R6 .aml files. I now have a TB3 Raid array (Raid0 for speed), and was testing it today. I'm getting a write speed of about 800mb/s and read speed of 1gb.

While this is fast, I still feel like I am missing some speed here. If I was getting TB3 connection shouldn't this be a good deal faster?

I see TB3 in the IO Reg, but I don't know if it's being used. I'm attaching the speedtest and other relevant files below. Love to hear what you think. Trying to make this FCPX monster really roar!

Attachments

• DiskSpeedTest_Terra5BayTB3.png
    DiskSpeedTest_Terra5BayTB3.png
    227 KB · Views: 49
  • Screen Shot 2020-10-09 at 12.26.23 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-10-09 at 12.26.23 PM.png
    108.8 KB · Views: 51
  • iMac.ioreg
    13.8 MB · Views: 48
  • config copy.plist
    7.6 KB · Views: 30
So I updated SSDTs to most recent -including the Fractal Design R6 .aml files. I now have a TB3 Raid array (Raid0 for speed), and was testing it today. I'm getting a write speed of about 800mb/s and read speed of 1gb.

While this is fast, I still feel like I am missing some speed here. If I was getting TB3 connection shouldn't this be a good deal faster?

I see TB3 in the IO Reg, but I don't know if it's being used. I'm attaching the speedtest and other relevant files below. Love to hear what you think. Trying to make this FCPX monster really roar!
Are you using spinning hard drives, SATA SSDs, or NVMe SSDs?

If you're using spinning hard drives or SATA SSDs then the read/write times are quite good.

Ahh - of course. I feel pretty dumb now. The benchmark I was using had a couple NVMe SSDS. Of course my spinning drive array isn't going to get to that speed.

That said, is there any way to confirm that this is running to the computer as USB3 or TB3?

Ahh - of course. I feel pretty dumb now. The benchmark I was using had a couple NVMe SSDS. Of course my spinning drive array isn't going to get to that speed.

That said, is there any way to confirm that this is running to the computer as USB3 or TB3?
This can be determined by downloading and running IORegistryExplorer and scrolling the device tree on left side (do not use the search bar) until you get to RP05. You may then post a screenshot or check if the RAID Array is connected to DSB1/DSB4 or to SS01/SS02.

If it's connected to either DSB1 or DSB4 then it's connected over Thunderbolt, otherwise it's connected over USB 3.

Odd. I don't see anything but DSB0 there. And it looks like the RAID is coming into pci-bridge4

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-10-10 at 2.42.33 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-10-10 at 2.42.33 PM.png
    741.7 KB · Views: 50
  • Screen Shot 2020-10-10 at 2.47.29 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-10-10 at 2.47.29 PM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 61
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back