Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z390 Designare, i7-9700K, 64GB, Sapphire Pulse RX 580 8GB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey @MacMarshall sorry for bumping your thread. I have a very similar setup to you. Z390, i9-9900k, 64gb 3200 different brand RAM, same SSDs, similar RM850x PSU, same case, similar D15H cooler, and RX 7200 XT GPU. I am seeing the Boot Failure Detected issue too. If my system powers off sometimes getting it to turn back on is a nightmare. It might take 2-5 tries to get it to actually boot. Sometimes I can get passed it and booted, other times I get the Boot Failure Detected and have to reset my BIOS (and thus have to re-unlock my MSR 0xE2 each time). I tired disabling XMP for the RAM but doesn't seem to make a difference. Curious if you ever found the solution for the weird boot issue?

Weirdly enough I swear I had this exact same issue on a old Gigabyte board with an i5 years ago and it's driving me crazy that this issue has come back to haunt me again on an otherwise incredible build (credits to @CaseySJ and his incredible Z390 thread and guides, thank you so much).

Curious if you ever found the solution for the weird boot issue?
My solution was to disable sleep, then I did the updates in post #9 in this thread, and though the CPU is not sleeping (I do let the display turn off when system is inactive) I have not had the boot problem during restarts. That said, when I had the problem I never had to reset the BIOS, I just had to go in and (re)point it at the correct boot drive. So maybe something was causing it to lose that info. One of these days I am going to have to try the move from Mohave to Catalina again. Last try I was getting a system hang shortly after what seemed like a successful boot into Catalina, as described here, https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...700k-amd-rx-580.267551/page-1217#post-2053382

The Samsung Pro NVMe seems to be running a little hot. With nothing much going on it is 50 degC. Maybe I should try putting that heatsink on it?

I noticed that @CaseySJ is recommending the use of NVMeFix in his Z490 Golden Build, that fix mentions better power management for non-Apple NVMe SSDs, so I thought I would give that a whirl. NVMeFix requires Lilu >=1.4.1, so I had to update that, and while I was at it also updated AppleALC and WEG. I tried using KextBeast and Kext Utility, but for some reason those didn't work. This guide suggests using Hackintool, I followed it and that did the trick. My Samsung NVMe Pro is now running almost 10 degC cooler, was 57 degC before, now below 50 degC. So this seems like a must-have kext for any Hackintosh running a NVMe SSD.

hack.png

Nice build. :thumbup: I'm planing a similar build which would be my first Hackintosh.

After one aborted attempt at upgrading from Mojave to Catalina almost a year ago I decided to give it another go. After updating my EFI following @CaseySJ's guide I was unable to boot into my Mojave installation. @CaseySJ suggested I give OpenCore a try, and that did the trick. Steps I followed:

1. Updated BIOS from F8 to F9i (updating settings, including disabling CFG-Lock)
2. Set up and installed OpenCore 0.6.3 EFI using @CaseySJ's guide
3. Used GibMacOS to download the Catalina installer (did not want to make the jump to Big Sur just yet), following another @CaseySJ guide

All good, now running 10.15.7. I had to deauthorize all computers from Music and then authorize to be able to access my TV Library.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back