Register

Gigabyte Z390 Designare, i7-9700K, 64GB, Sapphire Pulse RX 580 8GB

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Hey @MacMarshall sorry for bumping your thread. I have a very similar setup to you. Z390, i9-9900k, 64gb 3200 different brand RAM, same SSDs, similar RM850x PSU, same case, similar D15H cooler, and RX 7200 XT GPU. I am seeing the Boot Failure Detected issue too. If my system powers off sometimes getting it to turn back on is a nightmare. It might take 2-5 tries to get it to actually boot. Sometimes I can get passed it and booted, other times I get the Boot Failure Detected and have to reset my BIOS (and thus have to re-unlock my MSR 0xE2 each time). I tired disabling XMP for the RAM but doesn't seem to make a difference. Curious if you ever found the solution for the weird boot issue?

Weirdly enough I swear I had this exact same issue on a old Gigabyte board with an i5 years ago and it's driving me crazy that this issue has come back to haunt me again on an otherwise incredible build (credits to @CaseySJ and his incredible Z390 thread and guides, thank you so much).

Motherboard
GA-Z97X-UD3H
CPU
i7-4790K
Graphics
HD 4600
Mac
MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
Curious if you ever found the solution for the weird boot issue?
My solution was to disable sleep, then I did the updates in post #9 in this thread, and though the CPU is not sleeping (I do let the display turn off when system is inactive) I have not had the boot problem during restarts. That said, when I had the problem I never had to reset the BIOS, I just had to go in and (re)point it at the correct boot drive. So maybe something was causing it to lose that info. One of these days I am going to have to try the move from Mohave to Catalina again. Last try I was getting a system hang shortly after what seemed like a successful boot into Catalina, as described here, https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...700k-amd-rx-580.267551/page-1217#post-2053382

Motherboard
GA-Z97X-UD3H
CPU
i7-4790K
Graphics
HD 4600
Mac
MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
The Samsung Pro NVMe seems to be running a little hot. With nothing much going on it is 50 degC. Maybe I should try putting that heatsink on it?
I noticed that @CaseySJ is recommending the use of NVMeFix in his Z490 Golden Build, that fix mentions better power management for non-Apple NVMe SSDs, so I thought I would give that a whirl. NVMeFix requires Lilu >=1.4.1, so I had to update that, and while I was at it also updated AppleALC and WEG. I tried using KextBeast and Kext Utility, but for some reason those didn't work. This guide suggests using Hackintool, I followed it and that did the trick. My Samsung NVMe Pro is now running almost 10 degC cooler, was 57 degC before, now below 50 degC. So this seems like a must-have kext for any Hackintosh running a NVMe SSD.

hack.png

Motherboard
GIGABYTE Z390 DESIGNARE
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
Sapphire RX580
Mac
Mac Pro
Nice build. :thumbup: I'm planing a similar build which would be my first Hackintosh.