CPU
i9-10900K
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I was planning on following CaseySJ's golden build with the Z390 Designare board as I want thunderbolt for music production. But is it worth it to wait for the 10th gen chips and the Z490 Aorus Xtreme with TB3 and an Aquantia 10GbE? I'm assuming those chips would work out of the box once apple starts using the 10th gen chips?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-05-01 at 9.13.16 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-01 at 9.13.16 PM.png
    292.2 KB · Views: 79
The choice is yours. From what I've read in that Golden Build thread, CaseySJ won't be upgrading to Z490 as there is no real compelling reason to do so. There's also no guarantee the Z490 systems will work as well either. So if you can play the waiting game for a few months you might be able to discern whether 10th gen and the Z490 chipset will work. Note that the supply of Z390 Designares won't continue much longer after the Z490 boards are for sale later this month. If you need something guaranteed to work right now the Z390 build is the logical choice.

Yea I figured I would have to wait until Apple refreshes their iMacs with the new chips. I know there have been rumors of a 23" iMac, pretty much doing what they did with the 15" MacBook Pro. My current system is good for now but doesnt have thunderbolt. I dont mind waiting if there is a reasonable chance that apple is releasing 10th gen chips by the end of the summerish. Unless there is something I'm missing, once apple starts using those CPUs it's pretty straightforward while using trusted manufacturers. Meaning not much would change especially considering this is another refresh of coffee lake.

I guess it really comes down to would waiting for the new iMacs be riskier if they end up getting a T1 security chip? Have hackintosh's used system definitions that have T1 chips or are those chips signaling the end of the hackintosh? I'm assuming thunderbolt 3 chips are all the same within the generation especially if they are integrated in the mobo like on the designare and Aorus boards.

Sorry for being so long winded. I know the designare will be one of the first boards to go, and I don't mind waiting as long as I can reasonably be sure that once Apple supports 10th gen chips that I would be good to go baring some unusual change to how things are being done

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back