Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z390 AORUS Ultra i9

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for your advice would you recommend
You can use free2000.efi short term for the install and then switch to whichever one works best for you post install. Go by the advice given in posts by pastrychef that go into detail on this.

Thank you for your advice would you recommend
For the sake of getting a First hand knowledge about Z390 Motherboard, I bought a GA-Z390X Gaming with Intel i5 9600K_LGA1151 CPU with Intel HD 630 Graphics to Install macOSMojave 10.14.6 and also Catalina Beta Public Release 10.15.6 on different SSDs without a discrete PCIE Graphics.

I am very methodical and look at BIOS options to Clover Boot Manager Screens, Verbose boot screens all the way to Login and Desktop and System Reports, System Preferences documenting each stage with screen images I can upload (if allowed and posts not deleted)

I use my working Hackintosh/or macPro to create the macOS USB Installer Flash disk on 16GB disks (USB 2,0 and USB 3.0) with very powerful LED light indicators using Create Install media commands and then install various current Clover EFI boot loaders ( I have downloaded and kept many versions including the latest v2.5k_r5066)and edit the contents of its critical folders and config.plist after knowing all I can get from various sources the Chipsets of devices on the MoBo, and if I use any add on cards , their Chipsets also to chose the best kexts and support files as possible.

Base on my personal experience I can categorically state that my chosen GA-Z390X Gaming board won't boot to install either macOSMojave 14.6 with updates unless I install the currently 'condemned' OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi in EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI

I don't know about all brands of Z370 Boards. I exclusively use Gigabytes Board for their easier BIOS Menus and choices.

Reportedly Intel had wrongly branded some Z270 as Z370 and those boards have a very easy acceptance of macOSes including the current Catalina Beta. I say that from personal experience.

Bottom line: if you have a Z390 Motherboard (I have only used Gigabyte Models) and if you want to install macOSMojave or beyond, you will have to use OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi during installation and/ or after updates or return the board to the seller or keep it in storage until some breakthrough occurs in the BIOS Firmware of these boards for CLOVER to overcome the booting issue. I have tried all the released Gigabyte BIOS updates on GA-Z390X Gaming and still had to use OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi.

I have yet to see a Well Documented Report of a successful use of other AptioFix..EFIs in macOSMojave 10.14.6 with updates yet. If anyone can post a link to a well documented Post I can verify, I would love to amend my above post.

For the sake of getting a First hand knowledge about Z390 Motherboard, I bought a GA-Z390X Gaming with Intel i5 9600K_LGA1151 CPU with Intel HD 630 Graphics to Install macOSMojave 10.14.6 and also Catalina Beta Public Release 10.15.6 on different SSDs without a discrete PCIE Graphics.

I am very methodical and look at BIOS options to Clover Boot Manager Screens, Verbose boot screens all the way to Login and Desktop and System Reports, System Preferences documenting each stage with screen images I can upload (if allowed and posts not deleted)

I use my working Hackintosh/or macPro to create the macOS USB Installer Flash disk on 16GB disks (USB 2,0 and USB 3.0) with very powerful LED light indicators using Create Install media commands and then install various current Clover EFI boot loaders ( I have downloaded and kept many versions including the latest v2.5k_r5066)and edit the contents of its critical folders and config.plist after knowing all I can get from various sources the Chipsets of devices on the MoBo, and if I use any add on cards , their Chipsets also to chose the best kexts and support files as possible.

Base on my personal experience I can categorically state that my chosen GA-Z390X Gaming board won't boot to install either macOSMojave 14.6 with updates unless I install the currently 'condemned' OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi in EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI

I don't know about all brands of Z370 Boards. I exclusively use Gigabytes Board for their easier BIOS Menus and choices.

Reportedly Intel had wrongly branded some Z270 as Z370 and those boards have a very easy acceptance of macOSes including the current Catalina Beta. I say that from personal experience.

Bottom line: if you have a Z390 Motherboard (I have only used Gigabyte Models) and if you want to install macOSMojave or beyond, you will have to use OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi during installation and/ or after updates or return the board to the seller or keep it in storage until some breakthrough occurs in the BIOS Firmware of these boards for CLOVER to overcome the booting issue. I have tried all the released Gigabyte BIOS updates on GA-Z390X Gaming and still had to use OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi.

I have yet to see a Well Documented Report of a successful use of other AptioFix..EFIs in macOSMojave 10.14.6 with updates yet. If anyone can post a link to a well documented Post I can verify, I would love to amend my above post.

I just updated from 10.14.4 to 10.4.6 on my FileVault test partition using OsxAptioFix3Drv + EmuVariableUefi. If I can do this update, I'm pretty sure it would be able to do a clean install too. This is on a Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming.

a 100% thankyou to all your help found the problem it was the ssd installed evo plus all working with out

a 100% thankyou to all your help found the problem it was the ssd installed evo plus all working with out
  • Can you please upload the Screen shot of your EFI/CLOVER/Drivers/UEFI or drivers64UEFI depending upon the CLOVER version you have on your System Disk's EFI or USB installer's EFI Folder.

• As you may know, you have to mount the hidden EFI Partition first, using Clover Configurator Global: Download or EFI Mounter V3:Download to navigate and find EFI>CLOVER>Drivers>UEFI or drivers64UEFI folder .

• Take a Screen Capture of the opened drivers64UEFI or its equivalent Folder to upload .

I just updated from 10.14.4 to 10.4.6 on my FileVault test partition using OsxAptioFix3Drv + EmuVariableUefi. If I can do this update, I'm pretty sure it would be able to do a clean install too. This is on a Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming.
  • I tried many times to see your suggested combinations of AptioFixes but the recalcitrant"could not allocate runtime area error" that appears on Verbose boot screen soon after I click on the macOSMojave UEFI USB Installer disk with the CLOVER containing any of the AptioFix.. efis would not budge until I finally replace that with OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi and config.plist _Boot Args with [√] slide=0

• My own experience confirms the same observation.
  • I have all the screenshots with and without OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi to Confirm beyond a shadow of doubt that without OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi GA-Z390X Gaming cannot install and update macOSMojave 10.14.6 .

• I did not spend time to fix the Intel HD 630 but instead used NVIDIA GeForce GT 710 2GB from MSI as the Video Card Disabling Intel HD through BIOS.

• Subsequently I also installed Catalina Beta 6 on a second SSD in the same hardware which is still on the Test Bench.
I wish to post my Catalina Beta 6 install on GA-Z390X Gaming with the supporting images for the benefit of the readers of this Forum, but I am afraid, like the 10 posts I made earlier with different combinations of MoBo +CPU+Graphics, this could get deleted because of the number of images (which were still within the accepted limit of 100) uploaded to show important steps in the installation.

Attachments

• 1.Could not allocate runtime area.png
    1.Could not allocate runtime area.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 75
  • I tried many times to see your suggested combinations of AptioFixes but the recalcitrant"could not allocate runtime area error" that appears on Verbose boot screen soon after I click on the macOSMojave UEFI USB Installer disk with the CLOVER containing any of the AptioFix.. efis would not budge until I finally replace that with OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi and config.plist _Boot Args with [√] slide=0

• My own experience confirms the same observation.
  • I have all the screenshots with and without OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi to Confirm beyond a shadow of doubt that without OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi GA-Z390X Gaming cannot install and update macOSMojave 10.14.6 .

• I did not spend time to fix the Intel HD 630 but instead used NVIDIA GeForce GT 710 2GB from MSI as the Video Card Disabling Intel HD through BIOS.

• Subsequently I also installed Catalina Beta 6 on a second SSD in the same hardware which is still on the Test Bench.
I wish to post my Catalina Beta 6 install on GA-Z390X Gaming with the supporting images for the benefit of the readers of this Forum, but I am afraid, like the 10 posts I made earlier with different combinations of MoBo +CPU+Graphics, this could get deleted because of the number of images (which were still within the accepted limit of 100) uploaded to show important steps in the installation.

OsxAptioFix3Drv + EmuVariableUefi is definitely NOT consistent when it comes to booting macOS. The "could not allocate runtime area" thing will appear and, when it does, I have to press the reset button on the case to try booting again.

For me, the most consistent Aptio fix is AptioMemoryFix without EmuVariableUefi. Of course, this results in no NVRAM support (emulated or native) which means sleep, reset, and shut down are broken.

In my trial and error testing, I have found that all these Aptio fixes work better with as few files in /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/ as possible. Removing the FileVault drives helped make booting much more consistent.

Edit:
Mistype... I meant to say the Aptio fixes work best with as few files in /EFI/CLOVER/drivers/UEFI/ as possible.

Last edited:
OsxAptioFix3Drv + EmuVariableUefi is definitely NOT consistent when it comes to booting macOS. The "could not allocate runtime area" thing will appear and, when it does, I have to press the reset button on the case to try booting again.

For me, the most consistent Aptio fix is AptioMemoryFix without EmuVariableUefi. Of course, this results in no NVRAM support (emulated or native) which means sleep, reset, and shut down are broken.

In my trial and error testing, I have found that all these Aptio fixes work better with as few files in /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/ as possible. Removing the FileVault drives helped make booting much more consistent.

pastrychef,

• I have tried 4 different EFI files in drivers64UEFI ( or its equivalent in recent versions of CLOVER) not just OsxAptioFix3Drv + EmuVariableUefi.
  • Please check the images of 4 trial drivers64UEFI folder content screen capture
    • The ONLY drivers 64UEFI that worked without any boot errors in GA-Z390X Gaming for macOS Mojave 10.14.6 (and Catalina Beta 6) installation and subsequent Update is shown in #4

Attachments

• 1.AptioFix.png
    1.AptioFix.png
    36.4 KB · Views: 90
  • 2.AptioFix.png
    2.AptioFix.png
    17.1 KB · Views: 74
  • 3.AptioFix.png
    3.AptioFix.png
    34.7 KB · Views: 83
  • 4.AptioFix.png
    4.AptioFix.png
    37.5 KB · Views: 89
pastrychef,

• I have tried 4 different EFI files in drivers64UEFI ( or its equivalent in recent versions of CLOVER) not just OsxAptioFix3Drv + EmuVariableUefi.
  • Please check the images of 4 trial drivers64UEFI folder content screen capture
    • The ONLY drivers 64UEFI that worked without any boot errors in GA-Z390X Gaming for macOS Mojave 10.14.6 (and Catalina Beta 6) installation and subsequent Update is shown in #4

I corrected a mistype in post #17.

Here's what I have in drivers:
Screen Shot 2019-09-05 at 9.02.42 PM.png

I corrected a mistype in post #17.

Here's what I have in drivers:
View attachment 424751
Thanks.
I will do a test install on the same hardware using your uploaded config to report my findings to add to our knowledge base in this Forum for search engines to find.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back