Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Wifi + Gigabyte GC-Titan Ridge Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Firstly - thanks heaps to @CaseySJ, @blouse, @psedog for your great discussion, guides and tips (and other threads!).

I've been Hackintoshing for as long as it's been a thing, but everything keeps changing so rapidly it's tough to keep up!

I'm on the GB Z390 Pro WiFi with an Alpine Ridge card for TB3 (I kept it from a 270 board) running multiple UAD Audio interfaces in a TB chain. Previously on my 270 board my TB3 devices worked flawlessly, provided I turned them on just after booting the computer.

My issue isn't major - it's just annoying.

It seems to detect the TB3 card (in PCI devices in Sys Profiler) and successfully connect the UAD devices via TB3 every *second boot*.

So, I power up the UAD devices, turn on the computer, and it fails to detect them. I reboot (leaving them turned on) and it works. Or, I shut down, start up a second time and it works.

I'm using what I believe to be the most recent aml supplied by @CaseySJ for the z390 with the 'Alpine Ridge' name in it.

Anyone experienced anything similar?

F10 BIOS, Mojave 10.14.6, iMac 19,1 definition.
If you don't already have it, here a aml file that will help with the T-Bolt. I don't have a thunderbolt card, but this apparently will help map it.

Make sure you have your iGpu disabled as it takes resources that the T-bolt card needs.

Other fixes for our memory allocation is
OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi
EmuVariableUefi.efi

Those have helped me and others get our systems right. Good luck.

Attachments

• SSDT-TB3HP.aml.zip
    1.4 KB · Views: 100
Thanks @psedog and @elfcake ... I'll check what other files I've got in my EFI drive as well.

iGPU is disabled I believe, but I'll triple double check that too.

Yes, I figured hot plug didn't work (it never did in Sierra with my 270 board either) but at least I could turn it on at a specific point and it'd run all day.

Will definitely post back if I get it going!

Thanks again.

Damn!

I threw that TB3HP file in there, and checked the others were present ... but it's still behaving the same way.

Essentially every second boot, everything works perfectly ... and every other boot, it's completely missing from the System Profiler!

I'm guessing that a Titan Ridge card would probably work better.

Ok some interesting things to report back.

• Swapping the old Alpine Ridge card for a new Titan Ridge card worked straight away without needing to connect the brand new card to Windows and install drivers/firmware.

I'm not sure what that means in the search for trying to get a way to install TB3 cards without Windows first, but I found that very interesting.

• Secondly, it does work on first boot more often, but it doesn't solve the issue. What's happening occasionally now (every now and then) is that the computer will detect one or two of the daisy chained devices, but not all of them ... and it kind of hangs when detecting.

• It definitely works more often with 'Boot Once' chosen in the BIOS.

• The audio in the UAD devices is occasionally distorted and the relays in the devices click a lot unless I disable 'Thunderbolt Boot Support' option in the TB 3 BIOS settings.

I'm much happier with this setup because it is working on first boot a lot more often.

Sys Profiler Roger-Explosion.png

Last edited:
hey @CaseySJ I was wondering if you might be able to take a look at my setup and tell me what I'm doing wrong. I have a gigabyte Z390 Pro (non-wifi) with the titan ridge card. I have everything working in windows with my ultrafine 5k (video, audio, webcam, usb-c hub) however in MacOS nothing works except video.

The only way I can make thunderbolt work in MacOS is if I warm boot into it after booting windows. After including SSDT-DTPG.aml and SSDT-Z390-RP21-SLOT4-TB3HP.aml in clover I can now see the thunderbolt card in system report -> PCI, however the only thing that continues to work on my ultrafine is video (no audio, usb-c hub, webcam, etc).

I've attached my IOReg, HWiNFO and screenshots. If you wouldn't mind taking a quick peak I would really appreciate it (and btw thank you so much for your discussion in this thread, it was really helpful for getting up to this point. I think I'm really close!)

Hi DavidCanada67, did you ever find a solution to your issues? I have pretty much the same set up except a Sapphire Radeon RX570 card. All connected up to an LG UltraFine 5K monitor via TB3. For me issues are as follows:

- In Windows everything works & output is to monitor is 5K
- In Mac OS everything seems to work, audio, USB 3, Webcam, res is 5K, however the card does not show in system info.
- Most annoyingly though on boot I have no video output till the log on screen in either OS, which can make navigating Clover an interesting exercise. I feel this is defenitely bios related. Currently running Bios F11 and same settings as elfcake I believe.

Please try out the 2 files provided here:
Both files must be copied to CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder in the EFI partition of your Mojave SSD. Then reboot. This will only work if the Titan Ridge card is installed in Slot 4 of your motherboard.
Hello,

I updated my Hackintosh with GA-Z390 Aorus Pro WiFi, RX 580 and GA-Titan Ridge card. I flashed the TR card with Gigabyte Util to v.50 (using Win 10 boot) and set the BIOS (TB3 is showing up in BIOS) to security "disabled" and boot option to "boot once". I have CalDigit TS3 Plus Thunderbolt 3 Dock attached to the TB3 card and all (card reader, ethernet & USBs are functional). IOregistry shows the Thunderbolt card. But "about this Mac" does not show any PCI (TB3 card). Thunderbolt: no drivers installed.

Please advise.

Hello,

I updated my Hackintosh with GA-Z390 Aorus Pro WiFi, RX 580 and GA-Titan Ridge card. I flashed the TR card with Gigabyte Util to v.50 (using Win 10 boot) and set the BIOS (TB3 is showing up in BIOS) to security "disabled" and boot option to "boot once". I have CalDigit TS3 Plus Thunderbolt 3 Dock attached to the TB3 card and all (card reader, ethernet & USBs are functional). IOregistry shows the Thunderbolt card. But "about this Mac" does not show any PCI (TB3 card). Thunderbolt: no drivers installed.

Please advise.
When we update the firmware of GC-Titan Ridge using Gigabyte's firmware updater tool in Windows, we don't activate Thunderbolt Bus because all of the official firmware files configure the Titan Ridge controller to operate in ICM mode (Internal Connection Manager).

To get Thunderbolt Bus on a Mac, we need to flip some switches (i.e. modify some bytes) in the firmware so that the Titan Ridge controller operates in OS-Managed mode. This is done by using an external CH341a programmer.

But the most important question you must answer is this:
  • Do your Thunderbolt devices connect and work?
  • If so, you can safely stop. There's nothing more to do or worry about.

I have the same config as the OP - Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro WiFi with a GC-Titan Ridge v2 card that I'm trying to get working.
  • Do I have to boot into Windows at least once to get this Titan Ridge card activated? Or can it be done without Windows?

• Sounds like my NVMe drive needs to be in the "M2A" slot (upper slot closest to the cpu)?

• Does iGPU need to be disabled in the bios?

• Could I get a copy or link to the "SSDT-Z390-RP21-SLOT4-TB3HP.aml" and "SSDT-DTPG.aml" files listed on page 4? - Right now that goes to an error page.

• Can you also run the Fenvi FV-T919 card at the same time? (I have this card already), as it uses the F_USB1 port too? (I.e. can I plug that into the F_USB2?)
Thank you for the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back