CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
Make sure your BIOS in TB is properly set. @CaseySJ helped me the most with the set-up.
Cheers @elfcake - I think it's right, but I have looked at so many threads and resources that I'm not sure whether it's the most recent/definitive settings!

I'll try to do some more digging in here and compare it to mine.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 5
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
iMac, MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
Cheers @elfcake - I think it's right, but I have looked at so many threads and resources that I'm not sure whether it's the most recent/definitive settings!

I'll try to do some more digging in here and compare it to mine.
What are your BIOS settings for TB?
This is what I have: TBT Vt-d BaseSecurity disabled
Thunderbolt Boot Support. Boot Once
GPIO3 Force Power enabled
Skip PCI Option ROM disabled
Security level No Security
Reserved memory 737
Reserved Pmemory 1184

Last edited:
Motherboard
Z390 Aorus Pro WiFi
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
What are your BIOS settings for TB?
This is what I have: TBT Vt-d BaseSecurity disabled
Thunderbolt Boot Support. Boot Once
GPIO3 Force Power enabled
Skip PCI Option ROM disabled
Security level No Security
Reserved memory 737
Reserved Pmemory 1184
Thanks @elfcake - yep all the same here.

I should get the Titan Ridge controller tomorrow, so it'll be interesting to see if swapping that out makes all the difference!

Motherboard
Z390 Aorus Pro WiFi
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
Ok some interesting things to report back.

• Swapping the old Alpine Ridge card for a new Titan Ridge card worked straight away without needing to connect the brand new card to Windows and install drivers/firmware.

I'm not sure what that means in the search for trying to get a way to install TB3 cards without Windows first, but I found that very interesting.

• Secondly, it does work on first boot more often, but it doesn't solve the issue. What's happening occasionally now (every now and then) is that the computer will detect one or two of the daisy chained devices, but not all of them ... and it kind of hangs when detecting.

• It definitely works more often with 'Boot Once' chosen in the BIOS.

• The audio in the UAD devices is occasionally distorted and the relays in the devices click a lot unless I disable 'Thunderbolt Boot Support' option in the TB 3 BIOS settings.

I'm much happier with this setup because it is working on first boot a lot more often.

Sys Profiler Roger-Explosion.png

Last edited:
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 5
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
iMac, MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
Ok some interesting things to report back.

• Swapping the old Alpine Ridge card for a new Titan Ridge card worked straight away without needing to connect the brand new card to Windows and install drivers/firmware.

I'm not sure what that means in the search for trying to get a way to install TB3 cards without Windows first, but I found that very interesting.

• Secondly, it does work on first boot more often, but it doesn't solve the issue. What's happening occasionally now (every now and then) is that the computer will detect one or two of the daisy chained devices, but not all of them ... and it kind of hangs when detecting.

• It definitely works more often with 'Boot Once' chosen in the BIOS.

• The audio in the UAD devices is occasionally distorted and the relays in the devices click a lot unless I disable 'Thunderbolt Boot Support' option in the TB 3 BIOS settings.

I'm much happier with this setup because it is working on first boot a lot more often.

View attachment 438006
The tb card shares PCIe lanes with SATA and NVMe make sure you don’t have an NVMe card in the lowest M2 port and check with the manual to figure out which SATA ports conflict with the PCIe slots. I hope that makes sense.

Motherboard
Z390 Aorus Pro WiFi
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
The tb card shares PCIe lanes with SATA and NVMe make sure you don’t have an NVMe card in the lowest M2 port and check with the manual to figure out which SATA ports conflict with the PCIe slots. I hope that makes sense.
Good tip - cheers!

Only using regular SATA SSDs here - no NVMe drive (although they look pretty cute) yet.

So there is a possibility that one of the SATA drives is sharing something with the card, and that might be causing some issues? I could probably downsize and put one in a USB 3.1 external enclosure. I have all 6 ports in use.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Pro
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
RX 570
Mobile Phone
Android, iOS
hey @CaseySJ I was wondering if you might be able to take a look at my setup and tell me what I'm doing wrong. I have a gigabyte Z390 Pro (non-wifi) with the titan ridge card. I have everything working in windows with my ultrafine 5k (video, audio, webcam, usb-c hub) however in MacOS nothing works except video.

The only way I can make thunderbolt work in MacOS is if I warm boot into it after booting windows. After including SSDT-DTPG.aml and SSDT-Z390-RP21-SLOT4-TB3HP.aml in clover I can now see the thunderbolt card in system report -> PCI, however the only thing that continues to work on my ultrafine is video (no audio, usb-c hub, webcam, etc).

I've attached my IOReg, HWiNFO and screenshots. If you wouldn't mind taking a quick peak I would really appreciate it (and btw thank you so much for your discussion in this thread, it was really helpful for getting up to this point. I think I'm really close!)
Hi DavidCanada67, did you ever find a solution to your issues? I have pretty much the same set up except a Sapphire Radeon RX570 card. All connected up to an LG UltraFine 5K monitor via TB3. For me issues are as follows:

- In Windows everything works & output is to monitor is 5K
- In Mac OS everything seems to work, audio, USB 3, Webcam, res is 5K, however the card does not show in system info.
- Most annoyingly though on boot I have no video output till the log on screen in either OS, which can make navigating Clover an interesting exercise. I feel this is defenitely bios related. Currently running Bios F11 and same settings as elfcake I believe.