Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Wifi + Gigabyte GC-Titan Ridge Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks! Will do. I have a Raspberry Pi Zero W hanging about somewhere from a failed PiHole experiment - hopefully that will work? I'll need to get the rest of the gear (clip, jumper wires) and then will report back. I bought the Titan Ridge card for ~$90, but it seems flashed versions go for twice that. To me it's worth the slight risk.
The Raspberry Pi Zero W should work. It seems to have the same GPIO pin configuration as the Pi 3 and 4. A pre-flashed card at twice the price is not worth it! If you do it yourself, you have the ability to flash the original firmware back (for better compatibility in Linux and Windows).

The Raspberry Pi Zero W should work. It seems to have the same GPIO pin configuration as the Pi 3 and 4. A pre-flashed card at twice the price is not worth it! If you do it yourself, you have the ability to flash the original firmware back (for better compatibility in Linux and Windows).
At this stage it's not likely that I'll re-flash the card, but who knows. One question - the recommended test clip you linked in this guide is out of stock - I assume this is the same thing - is it worth the extra compared to the low cost clip, given I only plan on using it this once?

At this stage it's not likely that I'll re-flash the card, but who knows. One question - the recommended test clip you linked in this guide is out of stock - I assume this is the same thing - is it worth the extra compared to the low cost clip, given I only plan on using it this once?
The low cost clip is all we need, particularly for add-in cards. Any low cost SOIC8 clip is okay. We just need to be very gentle when attaching the clip and also when detaching the clip. There are nearby surface mount devices (resistors, capacitors) that could be knocked out if we’re not careful.

The low cost clip is all we need, particularly for add-in cards. Any low cost SOIC8 clip is okay. We just need to be very gentle when attaching the clip and also when detaching the clip. There are nearby surface mount devices (resistors, capacitors) that could be knocked out if we’re not careful.
Just a quick update to say that it worked!

I followed your guide and, with a little searching the thread for help...

Specifically: The splitting of a wire from the Raspberry Pi to two pins on the SOIC8 clip was tricky - I ended up slicing a small hole in the Female to Female wire with a exacto knife and just inserting the male end of a M-F wire into the hole).

The pins on the SOIC8 clip weren't widely spaced apart enough to comfortably receive the female ends of each of the dupont wires, so that required some very careful bending.

But aside from that (Oh, and some almost disasters when attaching the clip to the actual chip) everything worked like a charm, and now I have Target Disk Mode working!

Now to try and figure out why none of my rear USB 3.0/3.1 ports are working...

Just a quick update to say that it worked!

I followed your guide and, with a little searching the thread for help...

Specifically: The splitting of a wire from the Raspberry Pi to two pins on the SOIC8 clip was tricky - I ended up slicing a small hole in the Female to Female wire with a exacto knife and just inserting the male end of a M-F wire into the hole).

The pins on the SOIC8 clip weren't widely spaced apart enough to comfortably receive the female ends of each of the dupont wires, so that required some very careful bending.

But aside from that (Oh, and some almost disasters when attaching the clip to the actual chip) everything worked like a charm, and now I have Target Disk Mode working!
Good job!!

Now to try and figure out why none of my rear USB 3.0/3.1 ports are working...
Are these USB Type-C ports or blue/red/yellow Type-A ports?

Good job!!

Are these USB Type-C ports or blue/red/yellow Type-A ports?
Just to say that I missed out thanking you specifically @CaseySJ - without your help I'd probably have thrown in the towel and just bought an iMac! So THANK YOU!

To your question -

There's a couple of USB C ports (one on the front panel, one on the rear), neither of which work. They power an external ssd I have, but it's not recognized.

The 5x 3.0 (2 front, 3 rear) and 2x 3.1 (rear) ports don't work either. (In that they don't recognize USB 3 devices)

There are 4x USB 2.0 ports on the rear, and 2x on the front panel. They all recognize usb sticks, hubs etc.

These all (The 2.0, 3.0 and 3.1 ports) recognize simple peripherals (tested with mouse and keyboard) but not external usb 3 hubs or ssds etc.

I'm reading the Dortania Opencore USB Mapping guide now, and also have The New Beginner's Guide to USB port configuration open in another tab, but to be truthful it's all feeling a bit of a slog at the moment!

@tapdown,

The USB problems you describe are symptomatic of a missing USB port map so you're on the right track by reading through The New Beginner's Guide to USB Port Configuration.

If you download and run IORegistryExplorer and scroll (not search) for XHC, you'll see a list of the currently-active ports.

Ports starting with HS such as HS01, HS02, etc. are High Speed or USB 2.0.
Ports starting with SS such as SS01, SS02, etc. are Super Speed or USB 3.0.

My suspicion is that you'll only see HSxx ports. But after a USB port map is created you should see a combination of HSxx and SSxx ports.

Great! Good to know I'm going in the right direction. Though I doubt I'll get it sorted by tonight.

One other thing - why scroll (not search) for XHC? It seems like It'd take forever to find all ports manually. I can only assume that the search function doesn't always show everything? A search brings up, like you said, just HSXX ports:

Screen Shot 2022-07-19 at 9.39.12 PM.jpg

The device tree is long, but it is well organized and I encourage everyone to become familiar with it over time.

The search function collapses the device tree and short-circuits the process of getting familiar with the contents of the tree.

There is so much valuable information in that tree — information we can use to help ourselves understand how the system is configured and troubleshoot problems. If we keep looking for shortcuts, we end up asking others to help us with nearly every problem we encounter.

Hi @CaseySJ and @MACAK im back :)
Been using my system since.. But Im about to try install Mac OSx 13.1 on a new SSD ... wish me luck.. I will try to use OpenCore since the Clover I made always was a little funky in boot (but worked).
I will re-use the SSDT files I got from here. :cool:

update will follow...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back