Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Wifi + Gigabyte GC-Titan Ridge Help

I'm making progress but could really use some help if possible.

I booted into windows and installed the TB driver and saw the Titan Ridge 2 card in windows.

I've added the SSDT's I made from the guide in the Designare Z390 golden build.
Mac OS seems to see the TB card - I see it in "ioregisteryexplorer" and it shows as "No drivers are loaded" in system information now. Also I have entries in PCI for Titan Ridge Thunderbolt 3 NHI and Titan Ridge USB 3.1

But it's not working with any Thunderbolt or USB devices (I assume because it still shows "no drivers are loaded"?

I'm attaching screenshots of the system information, my open core config, my ioregistryexplorer output and the two SSDT files I used.

Seems like the OP and I have the same setup and they got there's working - I seem to be close, but could really use some help if possible? Thank you!

@CaseySJ - You seem to be the best source of help on this? Any chance you could spare a minute?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-03-09 at 12.57.30 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-09 at 12.57.30 PM.png
    268 KB · Views: 52
  • Screen Shot 2022-03-09 at 12.55.37 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-09 at 12.55.37 PM.png
    243.8 KB · Views: 57
  • Screen Shot 2022-03-09 at 12.55.33 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-09 at 12.55.33 PM.png
    246.2 KB · Views: 56
  • Screen Shot 2022-03-09 at 12.54.57 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-09 at 12.54.57 PM.png
    195.2 KB · Views: 52
  • Chris’s iMac.ioreg
    9.5 MB · Views: 35
  • SSDT-DTPG.aml
    100 bytes · Views: 49
  • SSDT-TB3-DROM-HOTPLUG.aml
    2.2 KB · Views: 38
Just to jump on and bump this thread -

I have a Big Sur 11.6 / Z390 Aorus Pro Wifi / Intel Core i9-9900K / Radeon RX 590 System with a Titan Ridge 2.0 card.

I've followed the steps in this thread (thanks for all the help!) and got to a point where the Titan Ridge card is recognised in both Windows and Mac OS. The Thunderbolt 3/USB-C ports work with a portable USB-C SSD (9Gb file in ~1min!)

But the real reason I got the card is so I can mount my ageing, though still very capable 2013 MacBook Pro (with 2x TB 2 ports) in Target Disk Mode for working in Lightroom on my desktop, but I can't seem to get it to work.

I initially tried using a Thunderbolt 2 cable from the MacBook to the titan ridge card, but stupidly didn't realize the Thunderbolt 2 ports were just Mini-DisplayPort rather than Thunderbolt 2 data ports. (Though it did show up as 'Macbook' in the windows Thunderbolt utility).

I've since tried this:

Macbook Pro > new Thunderbolt 2 Cable > Apple Thunderbolt 2 to Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) dongle > Titan Ridge USB-C port, but no dice. I've tried restarting, hot-plugging, again, no dice. Am I missing something obvious?

@CaseySJ, or anyone else, do you have any suggestions? Please help! I'm not at my wit's end, but I'm close...

Just to jump on and bump this thread -

I have a Big Sur 11.6 / Z390 Aorus Pro Wifi / Intel Core i9-9900K / Radeon RX 590 System with a Titan Ridge 2.0 card.

I've followed the steps in this thread (thanks for all the help!) and got to a point where the Titan Ridge card is recognised in both Windows and Mac OS. The Thunderbolt 3/USB-C ports work with a portable USB-C SSD (9Gb file in ~1min!)

But the real reason I got the card is so I can mount my ageing, though still very capable 2013 MacBook Pro (with 2x TB 2 ports) in Target Disk Mode for working in Lightroom on my desktop, but I can't seem to get it to work.

I initially tried using a Thunderbolt 2 cable from the MacBook to the titan ridge card, but stupidly didn't realize the Thunderbolt 2 ports were just Mini-DisplayPort rather than Thunderbolt 2 data ports. (Though it did show up as 'Macbook' in the windows Thunderbolt utility).

I've since tried this:

Macbook Pro > new Thunderbolt 2 Cable > Apple Thunderbolt 2 to Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) dongle > Titan Ridge USB-C port, but no dice. I've tried restarting, hot-plugging, again, no dice. Am I missing something obvious?

@CaseySJ, or anyone else, do you have any suggestions? Please help! I'm not at my wit's end, but I'm close...
To use Target Disk Mode it is necessary to flash the firmware of the GC-Titan Ridge! That will enable Thunderbolt Bus (i.e. when you open System Information --> Thunderbolt you'll actually see details of the Thunderbolt Bus).

Have you heard of "flashing the firmware"?

To use Target Disk Mode it is necessary to flash the firmware of the GC-Titan Ridge! That will enable Thunderbolt Bus (i.e. when you open System Information --> Thunderbolt you'll actually see details of the Thunderbolt Bus).

Ah, crap. I have indeed heard of flashing the firmware - I definitely came across it on my various forum searches and so forth, but for some reason I didn't think it applied to me, or didn't twig that it was what was required to get Target Disk Mode working. Indeed, I've just realized that it was your guide that I dismissed yesterday (!) evening because of this line:

• If System Information --> Thunderbolt says No drivers are loaded, then this does not apply to you.

My Sys Info says that very thing under Thunderbolt/USB4, so I figured that perhaps flashing wasn't needed? Just to 100% triple check before I go and undertake something I've never done, is that what the above quote means?

If not, then great! I'm only mildly anxious about doing it, but your guide looks very thorough and mostly idiot proof :)

Ah, crap. I have indeed heard of flashing the firmware - I definitely came across it on my various forum searches and so forth, but for some reason I didn't think it applied to me, or didn't twig that it was what was required to get Target Disk Mode working. Indeed, I've just realized that it was your guide that I dismissed yesterday (!) evening because of this line:

• If System Information --> Thunderbolt says No drivers are loaded, then this does not apply to you.

My Sys Info says that very thing under Thunderbolt/USB4, so I figured that perhaps flashing wasn't needed? Just to 100% triple check before I go and undertake something I've never done, is that what the above quote means?

If not, then great! I'm only mildly anxious about doing it, but your guide looks very thorough and mostly idiot proof :)
Oh, I think I may have just confused myself for no reason - The guide says the following:
  • Become thoroughly familiar with the following posts:
And then the following 'no drivers are loaded' part refers to the above Winbond chip flashing procedure, not the guide as a whole. Duh. Not enough sleep...

@CaseySJ - I tried the Option 1: Web GUI Method from your guide using your HackinDROM tool and MaciASL (1.6.2) last night, but I must be missing something, since after a couple of reboots, Thunderbolt Port 7 isn't activated.

Steps I took:

• I selected 'Gigabyte GC-Titan Ridge v1 or v2' from the HackinDROM tool.
• From my ioreg (attached) it seems like the root port for the card is 21, which is the same as in the tool, so I didn't change anything.
• Copied and pasted the code from the tool to MaciASL (though had to manually highlight as it doesn't automatically copy to clipboard)
• Saved As an .aml with appropriate name, and added to OC/ACPI folder (screenshot attached).

I'm assuming I should be doing something else with the code, or perhaps an SSDT is conflicting with something? If you have a minute to take a look, I'd be very grateful!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-07-01 at 1.10.45 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-07-01 at 1.10.45 PM.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 34
  • Tapdown's Mac Pro .ioreg
    11.9 MB · Views: 25
@CaseySJ - I tried the Option 1: Web GUI Method from your guide using your HackinDROM tool and MaciASL (1.6.2) last night, but I must be missing something, since after a couple of reboots, Thunderbolt Port 7 isn't activated.

Steps I took:

• I selected 'Gigabyte GC-Titan Ridge v1 or v2' from the HackinDROM tool.
• From my ioreg (attached) it seems like the root port for the card is 21, which is the same as in the tool, so I didn't change anything.
• Copied and pasted the code from the tool to MaciASL (though had to manually highlight as it doesn't automatically copy to clipboard)
• Saved As an .aml with appropriate name, and added to OC/ACPI folder (screenshot attached).

I'm assuming I should be doing something else with the code, or perhaps an SSDT is conflicting with something? If you have a minute to take a look, I'd be very grateful!
Hello @tapdown,

To use Target Disk Mode, it is necessary to flash the firmware of the GC-Titan Ridge. The IOReg file indicates that the original firmware is still running.

Screenshot 2022-07-01 at 1.50.50 PM.png

We can use either a dedicated USB 3.3V CH341a programmer (click here for instructions) or a Raspberry Pi 3B or newer (click here for instructions).

The new firmware is located in this Repository:

This is a delicate procedure, but relatively straightforward to perform on a GC-Titan Ridge. As always, the user assumes all risk and liability for any problems that might occur (standard disclaimer)!

To use Target Disk Mode, it is necessary to flash the firmware of the GC-Titan Ridge. The IOReg file indicates that the original firmware is still running.

View attachment 550495

We can use either a dedicated USB 3.3V CH341a programmer (click here for instructions) or a Raspberry Pi 3B or newer (click here for instructions).

The new firmware is located in this Repository:

This is a delicate procedure, but relatively straightforward to perform on a GC-Titan Ridge. As always, the user assumes all risk and liability for any problems that might occur (standard disclaimer)!

Oh wow, evidence I'm a noob to all this! I honestly thought this was achievable through software - I think I must have gotten turned around by all the different guides. (And that this was mostly discussed over two years ago.)

So thank you for your patience @CaseySJ! I wish I'd known and just purchased a flashed card, but I'll have a go. What's the worst that can happen? :lol:

Oh wow, evidence I'm a noob to all this! I honestly thought this was achievable through software - I think I must have gotten turned around by all the different guides. (And that this was mostly discussed over two years ago.)

So thank you for your patience @CaseySJ! I wish I'd known and just purchased a flashed card, but I'll have a go. What's the worst that can happen? :lol:
If you decide to flash the firmware, feel free to ask any questions ahead of time. Flashing the GC-Titan Ridge is generally much easier and safer than flashing a Thunderbolt controller on the motherboard.

Because this involves physical contact with the Winbond flash ROM chip on the PCIe card, it's important to be very gentle/careful when attaching and detaching the 8-pin clip.

Although the procedure is straightforward, every step should be double and triple checked.

The PCIe card should be removed from the motherboard and placed on an anti-static bag (that came with the card) or an anti-static mat.

If you decide to flash the firmware, feel free to ask any questions ahead of time. Flashing the GC-Titan Ridge is generally much easier and safer than flashing a Thunderbolt controller on the motherboard.

Because this involves physical contact with the Winbond flash ROM chip on the PCIe card, it's important to be very gentle/careful when attaching and detaching the 8-pin clip.

Although the procedure is straightforward, every step should be double and triple checked.

The PCIe card should be removed from the motherboard and placed on an anti-static bag (that came with the card) or an anti-static mat.
Thanks! Will do. I have a Raspberry Pi Zero W hanging about somewhere from a failed PiHole experiment - hopefully that will work? I'll need to get the rest of the gear (clip, jumper wires) and then will report back. I bought the Titan Ridge card for ~$90, but it seems flashed versions go for twice that. To me it's worth the slight risk.

Back