Motherboard
Asus TUF Gaming Z790-Plus WIFI
CPU
i7-14700K
Graphics
RX 6900 XT
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
OK, first off, since this is a potential system and not yet listed on my sig, here's the hardware I'm working with:
Mobo: Gigabyte z390 Aorus Pro Wifi (both original F5 BIOS and F6 latest BIOS gave same results)
CPU: i7 8700k
RAM: 32GB 2400 Crucial, 8GB/stick (tried with all slots populated and then just one, also tried moving the single stick to every slot, no change)
GPU: NVIDIA GT720 (also tried with the internal UHD630 when I removed all PC cards, still no change).

The problem? I can't get either installers (HS or Mojave) to boot. As soon as I select one, within 3 seconds the comp restarts or just freezes. I've played with various BIOS settings such as above 4g decoding, using XMP or not, disabling onboard devices, it still won't boot. I've reset CMOS and loaded optimized defaults various times just for extra measures. I'm using the 10.14.1 installer downloaded last week. I know the installer is fine, as I installed it on my probook and X99 systems without any issues.

I've also tried different AptioMemoryFix files:
When using AptioMemoryFix-64.efi it restarts with the last line being end random seed.
When using OsxAptioFix3Drv-64.efi it also restarts with end random seed being the last line, and sometimes it will stop but not restart with the error couldn't allocate runtime area.
With OsxAptioFix2Drv-64.efi, I get one of 2 errors at random: couldn't load kernel cache or couldn't allocate runtime area.
Finally, OsxAptioFixDrv-64.efi doesn't make it too far, no matter what settings I change it just says stops at "OsxAptioFixDrv: allocaterelocblock(): cannot allocate relocation block(0x19941 pages below 0x100000000): not found".
I've tried a few other files I have in one of my x99 folders, such as OSXAptioFixFree2000 and a test2016 one, but those all restart at end random seed.

Couldn't Allocate Relocation Block.jpg

Couldn't Allocate Runtime Area.jpg

End Random Seed.jpg

Does anybody have any workarounds or suggestions that would help me get the installer going? I've also tried 2 different clover versions, including the latest and I believe it was 4724 and 4700. Using safe mode or regular yields no change.

I read someone else has macOS running on a Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro (same as this one but without wifi), but I haven't heard from them to see if they took any special steps to get it up and running.

The RAM is good, as I used it on another system, and the board runs Windows fine, so I don't think the board itself is bad; I'm running memtest though just to iliminate that possibility from the equation.

Are any of you guys that started hacking on Z390 using Gigabyte boards? If so, are you on latest BIOS/UEFI? Any settings that need to be set or changed? Any tweaks to the config.plist? Right now I have a minimal one with no fixes or patches enabled, using iMac18:3 SMBIOS.

I was thinking maybe the wifi card was causing issues? I couldn't find a way to disable it from BIOS, and I was going to remove it physically, but I don't want to do that (covered by the I/O shield and plastic cover), since I've got a day left to decide if I'll keep the board or not, which at this point, I might just try something else.
Hopefully someone can chime in before tomorrow afternoon (11/12), as I'll be going to my local Microcenter to exchange the board if I can't get it up and running by then, before the return window closes. I unfortunately have very little time left to make a choice, so if anyone has any suggestions, please fire away! :)

THX!

Last edited:

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    18 MB · Views: 579
I have Z390 AORUS PRO and RX570 with Mojave 10.14.1.
I also attached my EFI that may help you. There are some differences between blouse'one and mine that also help me to
understand more stable configuration.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    8.3 MB · Views: 487
I have Z390 AORUS PRO and RX570 with Mojave 10.14.1.
I also attached my EFI that may help you. There are some differences between blouse'one and mine that also help me to
understand more stable configuration.

Hi @okubo-show. Have you managed to get audio working? Mine is still showing no audio devices.

Thanks guys for uploading your efi folders! Unfortunately neither of them worked out for me. :(
As of this morning, after a couple BIOS resets I'm stuck at the couldn't allocate runtime area error. I've tried switching out various AptioMemFix files, switching flash drives, trying different ports, but no go.

It looks like I'll be exchanging this board.

A couple questions for you guys, since you are both using the Z390 Aorus Pro, I believe I can get that one. How much RAM do you guys have installed? What vendor/type? (I want to make sure my RAM isn't causing problems on these boards, though it tested out fine).
What BIOS version are you guys running?
For the pro wifi, the latest f6 BIOS/UEFI says "improve memory compatibility" for the release notes, so I reverted to the F5 (original) BIOS, but it made no change. I'd love to keep hacking away at this to get it going, but I don't want to risk it, since today is my last day to decide to keep or return the board.

Hi, djx8605,

I and blouse have succeed to boot with their EFI setting, so our difference will be come from BIOS/UEFI setting. blouse’s link is really helpful ex. “XHCI Hand off -enable”.

One thing I remember was your screenshots said “couldn’t allocate..runtime area” thing. I got same error with BIOS/UEFI setting GPU enabled or with EmuVariableUefi-64.efi.

Currently I use RADEON RX570 so BIOS/UEFI GPU disabled and load Aptiomemoryfix, without EmuVariableUefi-64.efi(so, I can not manage sleep and shutdown issue).
I think these setting help to prevent “ couldn’t allocate..runtime area”error.

Hi, blouse,
I can not get ALC1220 audio working so far, I use USB audio DAC. I will try audio inject using FB-pather later. but currently I can not get recognize ALC1220 device in FB-pather although IORegistryExlporer.app detect ALC1220 in HDEF.

Thanks guys for uploading your efi folders! Unfortunately neither of them worked out for me. :(
As of this morning, after a couple BIOS resets I'm stuck at the couldn't allocate runtime area error. I've tried switching out various AptioMemFix files, switching flash drives, trying different ports, but no go.

It looks like I'll be exchanging this board.

A couple questions for you guys, since you are both using the Z390 Aorus Pro, I believe I can get that one. How much RAM do you guys have installed? What vendor/type? (I want to make sure my RAM isn't causing problems on these boards, though it tested out fine).
What BIOS version are you guys running?
For the pro wifi, the latest f6 BIOS/UEFI says "improve memory compatibility" for the release notes, so I reverted to the F5 (original) BIOS, but it made no change. I'd love to keep hacking away at this to get it going, but I don't want to risk it, since today is my last day to decide to keep or return the board.
I was able to get my MSI WT75 (with C246 chipset which is very similar to Z390) to boot a stock Unibeast High Sierra by simply updating the version of USB-Inject-All kext to latest. The one it came with by default did not have the series 300 chipset ID's and would not boot.

I can not get ALC1220 audio working so far, I use USB audio DAC. I will try audio inject using FB-pather later. but currently I can not get recognize ALC1220 device in FB-pather although IORegistryExlporer.app detect ALC1220 in HDEF.

I have same problem ... no audio ...did you solve it? how ? thank you

@djx8605, I ran into the same problem today with my Gigabyte Z390 Designare. I tried every version of the memory fix driver (one by one), but nothing worked. I tried everything in BIOS and started fresh with "Load Optimized Defaults", but again nothing worked.

It then occurred to me that the BIOS must have become corrupted somehow. I had been rebooting regularly and playing with Thunderbolt configurations, so something could have gone awry.

So I decided to re-flash the BIOS (same F4 version as before) and then started again with "Load Optimized Defaults". After making just the basic BIOS modifications for the Hackintosh and rebooting, everything worked again! (I use AptioMemoryFix64).

So try re-flashing the BIOS...but I suspect you have purchased a new motherboard by now and hence a fresh new BIOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back