Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Wifi, cannot get installer to boot

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, first off, since this is a potential system and not yet listed on my sig, here's the hardware I'm working with:
Mobo: Gigabyte z390 Aorus Pro Wifi (both original F5 BIOS and F6 latest BIOS gave same results)
CPU: i7 8700k
RAM: 32GB 2400 Crucial, 8GB/stick (tried with all slots populated and then just one, also tried moving the single stick to every slot, no change)
GPU: NVIDIA GT720 (also tried with the internal UHD630 when I removed all PC cards, still no change).

The problem? I can't get either installers (HS or Mojave) to boot. As soon as I select one, within 3 seconds the comp restarts or just freezes. I've played with various BIOS settings such as above 4g decoding, using XMP or not, disabling onboard devices, it still won't boot. I've reset CMOS and loaded optimized defaults various times just for extra measures. I'm using the 10.14.1 installer downloaded last week. I know the installer is fine, as I installed it on my probook and X99 systems without any issues.

I've also tried different AptioMemoryFix files:
When using AptioMemoryFix-64.efi it restarts with the last line being end random seed.
When using OsxAptioFix3Drv-64.efi it also restarts with end random seed being the last line, and sometimes it will stop but not restart with the error couldn't allocate runtime area.
With OsxAptioFix2Drv-64.efi, I get one of 2 errors at random: couldn't load kernel cache or couldn't allocate runtime area.
Finally, OsxAptioFixDrv-64.efi doesn't make it too far, no matter what settings I change it just says stops at "OsxAptioFixDrv: allocaterelocblock(): cannot allocate relocation block(0x19941 pages below 0x100000000): not found".
I've tried a few other files I have in one of my x99 folders, such as OSXAptioFixFree2000 and a test2016 one, but those all restart at end random seed.

View attachment 364982
View attachment 364983
View attachment 364984

Does anybody have any workarounds or suggestions that would help me get the installer going? I've also tried 2 different clover versions, including the latest and I believe it was 4724 and 4700. Using safe mode or regular yields no change.

I read someone else has macOS running on a Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro (same as this one but without wifi), but I haven't heard from them to see if they took any special steps to get it up and running.

The RAM is good, as I used it on another system, and the board runs Windows fine, so I don't think the board itself is bad; I'm running memtest though just to iliminate that possibility from the equation.

Are any of you guys that started hacking on Z390 using Gigabyte boards? If so, are you on latest BIOS/UEFI? Any settings that need to be set or changed? Any tweaks to the config.plist? Right now I have a minimal one with no fixes or patches enabled, using iMac18:3 SMBIOS.

I was thinking maybe the wifi card was causing issues? I couldn't find a way to disable it from BIOS, and I was going to remove it physically, but I don't want to do that (covered by the I/O shield and plastic cover), since I've got a day left to decide if I'll keep the board or not, which at this point, I might just try something else.
Hopefully someone can chime in before tomorrow afternoon (11/12), as I'll be going to my local Microcenter to exchange the board if I can't get it up and running by then, before the return window closes. I unfortunately have very little time left to make a choice, so if anyone has any suggestions, please fire away! :)

THX!
Try to enable XMP I mode in BIOS and use AptioMemoryFix. This solves the instability issue.
And EmuVariableUefi solves the reboot issue.

Im working on a very similar build.... I was able to boot from the usb and go through that installer but on the second installer it restarts at "about 13 minutes remaining". Does anyone have any ideas as to what might fix this?

Im working on a very similar build.... I was able to boot from the usb and go through that installer but on the second installer it restarts at "about 13 minutes remaining". Does anyone have any ideas as to what might fix this?
Enable XMP I mode in the BIOS

Enable XMP I mode in the BIOS
For most Gigabyte Z390 motherboards, please try:
  • OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000 instead of AptioMemoryFix
  • Remove EmuVariable and optionally remove RC scripts if you installed them (/etc/rc.boot.d and /etc/rc.shutdown.d)
  • Check on the boot argument “slide=0”
  • For one-key wake from sleep, try darkwake=0
OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000 is available from Bullet #3 here:
https://nickwoodhams.com/x99-hackintosh-osxaptiofixdrv-allocaterelocblock-error-update/

A handful of ACPI checkboxes might also be needed for sleep. See post-installation METHOD 1 screenshots in “SPOILER: Final Steps in Post-Installation” here:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...390-thunderbolt-3-i7-9700k-amd-rx-580.267551/

I am currently working on installing Mojave to my GA-Z390I Pro Wifi (The WiFi card has been removed)

After trying several times to install from the stock UniBeast stick, I searched posts with similar builds. I finally found an EFI that will boot the installer and, get me to the second part of starting from the 'Preboot' to finalize installation of MacOS.

The install stops at the point shown in the attached image. I was not even aware that there would BE a kernel cache at this point. So, I am stuck.

Any advice on how to move forward?
IMG_0319.jpg

Since my earlier post I have completed my build and got my hack hacking...

My advise is to double check your bios settings... I know that is the standard answer given most of the time but I had similar issues with this mobo and changing my bios settings was one of the things I did to get my hack working.

I followed this guide for my bios settings and installation. Also in clover under boot options be sure you have "slide=0" , "dart=0" , and depending on your GPU "dv_disable=1".

In addition to all of this I remember I had to remove my GPU during installation and use onboard graphics until the install was complete.

Also if you are hoping to do a dual boot system, you must disconnect your OSX formatted drives during windows installation, or else windows will throw a hissy fit and give you the run around on your windows formatted drives.

I hope this all helps!

I am currently working on installing Mojave to my GA-Z390I Pro Wifi (The WiFi card has been removed)

Every time I have an issue I reset my bios and go back to these settings that I got from Blouse's build.
Also, you don't have to remove the Wifi card, just add "uia_exclude=HS14" to your boot options.

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...i9-9900k-z390-aorus-pro-dual-vega-64s.264948/

Blouse said:
1. Change BIOS Settings
Blouse said:
• Save & Exit → Load Optimized Defaults
• BIOS → Fast Boot : Disabled
• BIOS → LAN PXE Boot Option ROM : Disabled
• BIOS → Storage Boot Option Control : UEFI
• Peripherals → Trusted Computing → Security Device Support : Disable
• Peripherals → Network Stack Configuration → Network Stack : Disabled
• Peripherals → USB Configuration → Legacy USB Support : Auto
• Peripherals → USB Configuration → XHCI Hand-off : Enabled (Extremely important)
• Chipset → Vt-d : Disabled
• Chipset → Wake on LAN Enable : Disabled
• Chipset → IOAPIC 24-119 Entries : Enabled

The install stops at the point shown in the attached image. I was not even aware that there would BE a kernel cache at this point. So, I am stuck.

The first error message is the key: Error allocating 0x3390 pages at ....

This indicates a problem with the memory fix UEFI driver. If you're using AptioMemoryFix-64, try adding the boot argument "slide=0". This can be done in config.plist (which applies it every time you boot) or at the Clover Boot Menu (which applies it only once) by pressing Spacebar and choosing the 4th item in the list, "Disable KASLR (slide=0)".

If the problem recurs, try replacing AptioMemoryFix-64 with OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000 and keep slide=0.

Every time I have an issue I reset my bios and go back to these settings that I got from Blouse's build.
Also, you don't have to remove the Wifi card, just add "uia_exclude=HS14" to your boot options.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...i9-9900k-z390-aorus-pro-dual-vega-64s.264948/

Thank you for the suggestion. I removed the WiFi/BT card because I ordered a BCM94360CS2 which I hope will fit in that slot. (?) And, I did not want any complications from the Intel WiFi to interfere with the general setup.

I have checked the BIOS settings almost every time I change anything. I am 100% positive about that part.

Thank you for the suggestion. I removed the WiFi/BT card because I ordered a BCM94360CS2 which I hope will fit in that slot. (?) And, I did not want any complications from the Intel WiFi to interfere with the general setup.

I have checked the BIOS settings almost every time I change anything. I am 100% positive about that part.
The WiFi/BT card is an Intel CNVi on a Socket 1 slot according to the Gigabyte specifications:

"1 x M.2 Socket 1 connector for an Intel® CNVi wireless module only (CNVI)"

Unfortunately, the BCM94360CS2 is a mini-PCIe card that will not fit. It will require a PCIe adapter.

Broadcom WiFi and Bluetooth Module -- BCM94360CS2
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07C78VBCD/?tag=tonymacx86com-20
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAH648BE6920

PCIe x1 adapter card for WiFi/BT module
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076KBBFV4/?tag=tonymacx86com-20
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAH648BF4026

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back