Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z370 Ultra Gaming support on El Capitan?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like to know if Gigabyte Z370 Ultra Gaming WIFI with i7 8700 will support installation of El Capitan?

Yes, El Capitan 10.11.6 can run provided that the GPU is supported. I tested it on my Z370 Ultra Gaming 2.0 with a i7 8700 and a GTX 660 and El Capitan 10.11.6 ran successfully using a FakeCPUID 506E3 (Skylake) in Clover. I only tested with a previously installed copy of El Capitan and not installing El Capitan.

The HD 630 graphics on the i7 8700 is not supported in El Capitan, however.

Last edited:
This is great news, and thank you Jamesbond007 for sharing this, but any chance El Capitan will run on the Z390, too, using the same FakeCPUID ? The MB would be an Asus one and I would also use an existing El Capitan install.
Found a chipset comparison here: https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Intel-Z370-vs-Z390-Chipset-Comparison-1231/

My 6700k+Z170 just crashed, and since Z170 boards are no longer available, I want to upgrade to the latest. Given that's it's a considerable amount of money, I want to be efficient :)

I am forced to use El Capitan because it's a production system with special hardware and software not supported by the latest OS X versions (Nvidia drivers as an example)

Thank you !

This is great news, and thank you Jamesbond007 for sharing this, but any chance El Capitan will run on the Z390, too, using the same FakeCPUID ? The MB would be an Asus one and I would also use an existing El Capitan install.

My 6700k+Z170 just crashed, and since Z170 boards are no longer available, I want to upgrade to the latest. Given that's it's a considerable amount of money, I want to be efficient :)

I am forced to use El Capitan because it's a production system with special hardware and software not supported by the latest OS X versions (Nvidia drivers as an example)

Thank you !

Yes, El Capitan can also run on Z390 motherboards using a 8th generation CPU such as a i7 8700 provided the GPU is supported. I tested it myself sometime ago using a Gigabyte Z390 Designare motherboard with a i7 8700 and GTX 660, and El Capitan 10.11.6 can boot successfully using the same FakeCPUID.

I believe the crucial thing is the CPU. Use a 8th generation CPU and a supported GPU and El Capitan 10.11.6 should be able to run on Z370 and Z390 motherboards.

However, I recall being unable to get the audio to work on the Z390 Designare under El Capitan. Under Sierra and High Sierra audio works fine on the same motherboard. I have no need to really run El Capitan on the system so I did not investigate further.

Last edited:
Well, I have already ordered the i9 9900K :)
Will keep you posted.

Well, I have already ordered the i9 9900K :)
Will keep you posted.

You have ordered a 9th generation CPU? I am not sure if it can run El Capitan 10.11.6. You will have to test it yourself.

Simply by supplying the FakeCPUID for Skylake does not work, gets stuck right after the row of plus signs.
I have moved on to installing High Sierra, the last version Nvidia Web Drivers are available for.

Thank you for the hint, Jamesbond007 ! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back