Contribute
Register

Gigabyte X299X - Catalina Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
@BerndVP I stayed on macOS Catalina, I have not tried to update for known compatibility issues.
To find out if Big Sur is supported by the latest BIOS, someone who has version F3c and MacOS 11 would need to update the BIOS to version F3i.
If it does not work then it is always possible to go back to the previous version.

After the APPLE logo is displayed at the end of the BIOS screen, the progress bar is displayed about 8 seconds later. Can it be solved?

tomorrow I'll replace it with an Asus.

Did you ever try the ASUS?

I have the x299 Designare EX, and was thinking about upgrading to the x299x 10G only because I can't figure out how to get TB3 working, but I was discouraged by your post lol Didn't know that the x299x 10G was so buggy :/

I have the x299 Designare EX, and was thinking about upgrading to the x299x 10G only because I can't figure out how to get TB3 working
If the Thunderbolt connection is not working it is due to a wrong setting on the BIOS or the wrong SSDT.

If the Thunderbolt connection is not working it is due to a wrong setting on the BIOS or the wrong SSDT.
Yeah, I’ve been working with CaseySJ on this, something’s not right - my machine KP’s on boot with the SSDT :/

@gabevf, more information is needed:
- Is the Thunderbolt-related path renamed correctly on Ioreg?
- Does KP take place with or without connected devices?
- Without SSDT, do the devices connected and turned on at boot work?
Devices that connect at startup, such as a Dock for example, need the "Thunderbolt boot support" option enabled in the BIOS to work.
- What Thunderbolt device do you need to connect?
- If you can, check if they work with Windows.

Please note that the X299 Designare EX and X299X Designare 10G have the same Thunderbolt controller.

@gabevf, more information is needed:
- Is the Thunderbolt-related path renamed correctly on Ioreg?
- Does KP take place with or without connected devices?
- Without SSDT, do the devices connected and turned on at boot work?
Devices that connect at startup, such as a Dock for example, need the "Thunderbolt boot support" option enabled in the BIOS to work.
- What Thunderbolt device do you need to connect?
- If you can, check if they work with Windows.

Please note that the X299 Designare EX and X299X Designare 10G have the same Thunderbolt controller.
Hi @LeleTuratti, thank you for your reply,please refer to this ongoing thread between @CaseySJ and me for more details, as I think I've answerer all of your questions there.

I don't think the x299 designare and the x2992 have the same controller, though.
Mine's an Alpine Ridge JHL6540, whereas the x299x has a Titan Ridge, no?

Last edited:
@BerndVP I stayed on macOS Catalina, I have not tried to update for known compatibility issues.
To find out if Big Sur is supported by the latest BIOS, someone who has version F3c and MacOS 11 would need to update the BIOS to version F3i.
If it does not work then it is always possible to go back to the previous version.

EDIT - it was my BIOS settings. Works under F3i. Didn't get to Big Sur yet.

@LeleTuratti I tried just that - upgraded BIOS to F3i (from F3c) and my box won't even boot.

I slightly modified your EFI folder, and it works under Catalina and F3c. Modifications, if it makes any difference, are as following:

1. Re-added HS14 USB port because I replaced Intel WiFi/BT CNVW with a compatible card
  2. Re-enabled SmallTree drivers
  3. Reconfigured TSCAdjustReset.kext to support my 10 cores
  4. Disabled SSDT-Disable-CNVW.aml to bring back my compatible WiFi
  5. Entered my own serials etc. Naturally :)

I don't know of any of the above matter. It works just fine under F3c, exactly the same way it was before. Even takes forever to wake up from sleep, but it does wake up.

Last edited:
I don't think the x299 designare and the x2992 have the same controller, though.
Mine's an Alpine Ridge JHL6540, whereas the x299x has a Titan Ridge, no?
Sorry, I thought Designare EX had Titan Ridge as a controller.

However I understand what the problem is. The SSDT you are using is made to enable Thunderbolt BUS, which is theoretically possible on the Alpine Ridge, but does not work on Gigabyte motherboards because it requires the "GPIO3 Force power" option enabled on the BIOS, but on Gigabyte motherboards this option was removed years ago.

I have personally tested an SSDT similar to yours two years ago on my previous GB X299 with the Alpine Ridge Thunderbolt PCI card, but the GPE method was not working properly and force injecting "GPIO3 Force power" with the SSDT caused Kernel Panic.
The only way to enable the Thunderbolt BUS therefore remained flashing the Thunderbolt chip but I excluded this option because in my case I didn't need it.

Add and enable this SSDT and don't forget to clean the NVRAM after adding it.

Attachments

• SSDT-X299DesignareEX-TB3.aml
    2.2 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
upgraded BIOS to F3i (from F3c) and my box won't even boot.
I have tried all BIOS released for this card and rest assured they all work. If it does not boot anymore, probably something went wrong during the update process, try again and check on info if the installed BIOS version is the correct one.
Also check that you haven't forgotten any settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back