Contribute
Register

Gigabyte X299X - Catalina Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have tried all the BIOS versions in the last few months and with the F3h the overclocking performance has improved slightly (very slightly).
Unfortunately they are still too unstable! The VCCSA bug is back, the required voltages are still too high and sometimes the frequencies set on the CPU change by themselves, setting to 4.6 for no reason.

I am currently "stable" @ 4.8Ghz, Vcore 1.245, AVX -1 / AVX512 -2 and the rest of the voltages on AUTO because they didn't bring any improvement (IDLE 28-30°C, Full load 90°C).
Cinebench R23 it gives me an error after about 4 tests, sometimes even after the first test.

Unable to complete any test @ 4.9 and 5 Ghz (I didn't go beyond a 1.36v Vcore).

MacoOS Catalina, Opencore 0.7.4.

Has anyone experienced overclocking on this card recently?
So is there a stable bios version that allows this mobo to run smoothly for production workflows?

1635227412098.png

1635227497228.png

I meet a memory problem, I use G.SKILL DDR4 2666 256GB (8 x 32GB), but the bios only show 128GB, and I try set memory clock to 2200, it works, I think the motherboard memory compatibility is very bad, I strongly do not recommend buying this motherboard if you want to use 256GB memory.

the F3h BIOS is compatible with big sur 11.6 ?

Is the F3h bios compatible with Big on?
they have fixed the problem. This is good news. Can anyone confirm ?
No, I just use F3h test memory, and I finally fallback to F3c.

I want to change another motherboard to use 256GB memory, but it's hard to find a X299 motherboard support thunderbolt 3. I use ASUS WS X299 SAGE/10G + GIGABYTE GC-TITAN RIDGE before.I think ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore is better if don't need thunderbolt 3.

I want to change another motherboard to use 256GB memory, but it's hard to find a X299 motherboard support thunderbolt 3. I use ASUS WS X299 SAGE/10G + GIGABYTE GC-TITAN RIDGE before.I think ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore is better if don't need thunderbolt 3.
Personally I don't use thunderbolt. I switched to an Asus ROG_STRIX_X299-E_GAMING_II.
Everything works I have no problem.

So is there a stable bios version that allows this mobo to run smoothly for production workflows?
At the moment I have not had any stability problems during the work sessions.

Intel displays a max temperature of 86° max for the package cpu on the 10980xe. ( much lower than on other cpu, often around 95°)
I advise you to be careful if you go up to 90° (the "Die" of a cpu (especially with 18 cores) goes up much higher than the "package cpu") it can exceed 105°.

I personally set all the cores to 4.6 Ghz so as not to exceed 80° under full load. (with Gigabyte motherboard). whith Asus motherboard I put my least hot cores at 4.8 and 4.7 Ghz and the rest at 4.6ghz always for not to exceed 80° under full load. but it is impossible with Gigabyte bios )
I made a great custom loop to be able to overclock this CPU, however I fear that no waterblock is able to dissipate the heat quickly. The liquid in the loop remains fresh, but the fins in contact with the liquid inside the waterblock are too small (less than 1 millimeter high), consequently the contact surface with the coolant is ridiculous and insufficient.

During the most intense work sessions the temperature never exceeds 50° C, but in tests (Cinebench for example) the temperatures fluctuate between 86-90° C (the hottest core can reach 93° C). The benchmark lasts a few seconds so it's not worrying.
With other brands, a 4.8Ghz clock is stable already with a Vcore below 1.2v, but with this motherboard...

Last edited:
yep, they that bought the motherboard knows that it isn't an issue board, but the 2x 10G NIC and Onboard TB3 is what I was looking for, I'm running latest version of Catalina without any issues, as long as all my software will still be working on Catalina I'm not going to upgrade to Big Sur or the newer OS.

1635306446648.png

Update to Monterey 12.0.1 success.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    2.8 MB · Views: 99
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back