Contribute
Register

Gigabyte X299X - Catalina Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have tried all the BIOS versions in the last few months and with the F3h the overclocking performance has improved slightly (very slightly).
Unfortunately they are still too unstable! The VCCSA bug is back, the required voltages are still too high and sometimes the frequencies set on the CPU change by themselves, setting to 4.6 for no reason.

I am currently "stable" @ 4.8Ghz, Vcore 1.245, AVX -1 / AVX512 -2 and the rest of the voltages on AUTO because they didn't bring any improvement (IDLE 28-30°C, Full load 90°C).
Cinebench R23 it gives me an error after about 4 tests, sometimes even after the first test.

Unable to complete any test @ 4.9 and 5 Ghz (I didn't go beyond a 1.36v Vcore).

MacoOS Catalina, Opencore 0.7.4.

Has anyone experienced overclocking on this card recently?

big sur 11.6 works.
there are just some bugs in the F3c bios that will never be fixed since the new version of the bios does not work from big sur 11.3

for big sur 11.6 you need:
- F3c or older bios.
- make a USB map (since big sur 11.3) you can use "USBToolBox" it's very easy
- disable "XhciPortLimit" in Kernel / Quirks/
Reading this very thread, I was under impression that any BIOS older than F3C will cause major issues.
Which BIOS are you using, @tosh71?

I have tried all the BIOS versions in the last few months and with the F3h the overclocking performance has improved slightly (very slightly).
Unfortunately they are still too unstable! The VCCSA bug is back, the required voltages are still too high and sometimes the frequencies set on the CPU change by themselves, setting to 4.6 for no reason.

I am currently "stable" @ 4.8Ghz, Vcore 1.245, AVX -1 / AVX512 -2 and the rest of the voltages on AUTO because they didn't bring any improvement (IDLE 28-30°C, Full load 90°C).
Cinebench R23 it gives me an error after about 4 tests, sometimes even after the first test.

Unable to complete any test @ 4.9 and 5 Ghz (I didn't go beyond a 1.36v Vcore).

MacoOS Catalina, Opencore 0.7.4.

Has anyone experienced overclocking on this card recently?

I have not tested the F3h bios.
But here is what I have seen with the old bios and written in this forum before.
Maybe it's still a display bug ?

"" For the VCCSA:
With the Bios F3f and F3g ( maybe also the F3c, I have not checked).
When I put a voltage in the VCCSA about 3 times out of 10 all is well. But 7 times out of 10 the value displayed in the bios or in a software like HWinfo is the default value ( about 0.900v). It's strange, because as I said the bug doesn't happen all the time, about 7 restarts out of 10.
But this is not very serious. Because it is only a display bug. The real value used by the RAM controller is the one I entered in the VCCSA ( 1.150v in my case ) My Computer can't boot with only 0.900v ( if the RAM is overclocked and the Timing tightened ). I even did a Stress Test of the RAM when the bug occurs to be sure and do not have an error. So it is indeed a display bug. ""

Intel displays a max temperature of 86° max for the package cpu on the 10980xe. ( much lower than on other cpu, often around 95°)
I advise you to be careful if you go up to 90° (the "Die" of a cpu (especially with 18 cores) goes up much higher than the "package cpu") it can exceed 105°.

I personally set all the cores to 4.6 Ghz so as not to exceed 80° under full load. (with Gigabyte motherboard). whith Asus motherboard I put my least hot cores at 4.8 and 4.7 Ghz and the rest at 4.6ghz always for not to exceed 80° under full load. but it is impossible with Gigabyte bios )

If you want to be sure of the stability (especially for the AVX) do some video encoding with handbrake !
With cinebench and the special test for AVX, AVX2, AVX 512 from OCCT => everything was stable for me.
But as soon as I did video encoding with Handbrake (Mac version) => it crashed quickly (I was forced to lower the AVX2 offset)

Would you mind sharing your EFI folder for Big Sur, @tosh71 ?
Good for me that I'm on F3c as well.

I gave my EFi 2 days ago. You have the right to read the forum ^^

if you have a "Navi" graphics card (gen RX 5000) you have to add the boot argument:

agdpmod=pikera

in NVRAM / Add / 7C436110-AB2A-4BBB-A880-FE41995C9F82 / boot-args/

The thunderbolts is not activated on this EFI (I forgot to specify it last time. I do not use thunderbolt only USB)

Maybe you have to redo the USB Map if the front USB connection of your case is different from mine.
You can use "USBToolBox" to remake the USB Map

EFI OpenCore 0.7.2 for Big sur 11.6

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    31.1 MB · Views: 58
Last edited:
I gave my EFi 2 days ago. You have the right to read the forum ^^

if you have a "Navi" graphics card (gen RX 5000) you have to add the boot argument:

agdpmod=pikera

in NVRAM / Add / 7C436110-AB2A-4BBB-A880-FE41995C9F82 / boot-args/

The thunderbolts is not activated on this EFI (I forgot to specify it last time. I do not use thunderbolt only USB)

Maybe you have to redo the USB Map if the front USB connection of your case is different from mine.
You can use "USBToolBox" to remake the USB Map

EFI OpenCore 0.7.2 for Big sur 11.6
Fantastic, thank you so much, @tosh71!
I saw your earlier post, just wasn't sure I'd work with Big Sur and F3c BIOS.
I usually merge other people's EFI parts with my own, taking advantage of their updates and keeping things like USB map I already have. Trying to get the best of both :)
Oh and I have W5700 Pro so the agpmod=pikera is required for my boot arguments.

Fantastic, thank you so much, @tosh71!
I saw your earlier post, just wasn't sure I'd work with Big Sur and F3c BIOS.
I usually merge other people's EFI parts with my own, taking advantage of their updates and keeping things like USB map I already have. Trying to get the best of both :)
Oh and I have W5700 Pro so the agpmod=pikera is required for my boot arguments.
I have modified the file.
Can you please download my EFI again. I forgot to delete information like the serial number-product I used.

Merci

I have modified the file.
Can you please download my EFI again. I forgot to delete information like the serial number-product I used.

Merci
I did re-download the file, @tosh71. Thank you for notifying.
Naturally I'll use my own serials etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back