Contribute
Register

Gigabyte X299X - Catalina Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank You for ansewer Tosh

Actually after several tests Big on 11.4 does not work on the latest version of BIOS F3f and F3g

Only the F3c version allows to run Big on 11.4 on a Gigabyte x299x Designare 10g rev 1 motherboard.
Nvram, 2x Eternet 10G, Thunderbolt, USB 3.2, Wifi, Bluetooth, Big on 11.4 everything works (except the bug of the Bios corrected in the recent version. as the function "CPU EIST funstion" and other

Hi Tosh

Can you please give more detail on what does not work in 11.4 with F3F and F3G?

I tried F3F a few weeks ago and had a major problem (could not even boot) - seemingly related to NVME. But others reported success (I don't know if they were on 11.4 or not). I have not been able to test again due to being very busy, but I hope to do so in the next couple of days.

You initially reported some success, then said it did not work? So I guess you did get into the OS, but then found some problems later? Could you describe those problems?

Soon I will try F3F and F3G again and see what I find. Thanks for posting F3G, that's very interesting that Gigabyte are sending you a new version. I thought they did not really reply to any complaints/problems.

Does F3G fix the DRAM Training Voltage bug?

Also do you set VCCSA (Ssystem Agent) to non-auto? If so, have you noticed the bug where it always resets to Auto after shutdown/wake-from-sleep? That bug exists in F3B and F3C, but I didn't get a chance to see if it was fixed in F3F yet.

Thanks for posting your findings!

Tosh71, your EFI F3c bios run with Radeon RX 6900 ?

I've Gigabyte X299 EX, Intel 9940X, 128Go Corsaire 3600Mhz and a Gigabyte Radeon RX 6800 XT

I don't find what thread exactly I need to fallow
I'm running an AMD 6900XT on my Gigabyte Designare X299X, currently with BIOS F3C, and it runs fine. Currently on 11.4 but I'll upgrade to 11.5 when it's out of beta (soon I think).

Hi Tosh

Can you please give more detail on what does not work in 11.4 with F3F and F3G?

I tried F3F a few weeks ago and had a major problem (could not even boot) - seemingly related to NVME. But others reported success (I don't know if they were on 11.4 or not). I have not been able to test again due to being very busy, but I hope to do so in the next couple of days.

You initially reported some success, then said it did not work? So I guess you did get into the OS, but then found some problems later? Could you describe those problems?

Soon I will try F3F and F3G again and see what I find. Thanks for posting F3G, that's very interesting that Gigabyte are sending you a new version. I thought they did not really reply to any complaints/problems.

Does F3G fix the DRAM Training Voltage bug?

Also do you set VCCSA (Ssystem Agent) to non-auto? If so, have you noticed the bug where it always resets to Auto after shutdown/wake-from-sleep? That bug exists in F3B and F3C, but I didn't get a chance to see if it was fixed in F3F yet.

Thanks for posting your findings!

Hi TheBloke

With the F3f and F3g version it was impossible for me to update big sur 11.2.3 to 11.3 or 11.4.

If I install Big sur 11.4 on a Mac and put the ssd in the hackintosh (with the F3f or F3g bios). I can boot up, enter my password and access the finder. Everything works fine for about one or two minutes and then the system freezes systematically. I searched a lot, but I didn't find a solution.

With the Bios F3c Big on 11.4 works perfectly. (update 11.2.3 to 11.4 or direct installation of 11.4).

For the Training Voltage bug:
I thought the F3c version fixed the bug. I use the Training Voltage with F3c / F3f / F3g it seems to work correctly. But maybe I am wrong. I don't know where to make the measurements with a multimeter to check the voltage. ( If you know how to make these measurements, I would like an explanation to check).

For the VCCSA:
With the Bios F3f and F3g ( maybe also the F3c, I have not checked).
When I put a voltage in the VCCSA about 3 times out of 10 all is well. But 7 times out of 10 the value displayed in the bios or in a software like HWinfo is the default value ( about 0.900v). It's strange, because as I said the bug doesn't happen all the time, about 7 restarts out of 10.
But this is not very serious. Because it is only a display bug. The real value used by the RAM controller is the one I entered in the VCCSA ( 1.150v in my case ) My Computer can't boot with only 0.900v ( if the RAM is overclocked and the Timing tightened ). I even did a Stress Test of the RAM when the bug occurs to be sure and do not have an error. So it is indeed a display bug.

The BIOS F3c:
Big sur 11.4 works fine.
The parameter "CPU EIST Function" does not work. In fixed voltage mode CPU ( example 1.050v) CPU EIST Function allows to vary the CPU voltage according to its frequency.
But even if the parameter is activated, it does not work.
There are surely other bugs that I don't know.

The BIOS F3f and F3g;
Big sur works well until version 11.2.3
The "CPU EIST Function" parameter works (the CPU voltage varies according to its frequency when you are in fixed voltage mode on the CPU)
But even if you disable the parameter it remains enabled. (This is better than not being able to activate it like on F3c. But there is still a bug ...)

The BIOS F3g:
I asked the support to increase the maximum value of the RAM timings tREFI and tREFIx9.
The max value for tREFI is on this bios 65000 (instead of 30000). This is very interesting to decrease the latency of the RAM Kit.
For the tREFIx9 they didn't change anything. (I think they can't encode the value on more than 128 values). I will ask them to shift the values for example from 64 to 192 instead of 0 to 127. This shouldn't be a problem and even a low-end RAM kit won't go below 64.
I noticed minor corrections on the descriptions of some bios parameters.
There may be other minor bug fixes. But I don't know about it.

Gigabyte support:
At first I was very angry with Gigabyte support who never answered my messages ( 4 or 5 messages without answer).
I noticed that the support site deleted all the spaces and all the carriage returns from the messages. This makes the messages completely unreadable.
So I made a capture of my messages ( image in .jpeg) and sent the capture with the message ( with the "attached file") to be sure they could read the messages.
Since then Gigabyte has answered all my messages and even accepted the changes I proposed for the RAM timings (the F3g bios).

I haven't had time to contact Gigabyte support yet to tell them about the bugs I know about. But I will do it. I'm afraid that Big sur problem on 11.4 doesn't interest them. But maybe if they release a new version it will be compatible with big sur 11.4.
I encourage you to contact them ( also sending a JPEG capture of your message) to report the problem with big sur. If several people complain maybe they will do something.

BIOS F3g:

Attachments

• X299XDESIGNARE10G_f3g.zip
    7.5 MB · Views: 86
Last edited:
I'm running an AMD 6900XT on my Gigabyte Designare X299X, currently with BIOS F3C, and it runs fine. Currently on 11.4 but I'll upgrade to 11.5 when it's out of beta (soon I think).

Good news

I'm going with O.C. 0.7.1 on Gigabyte X299 Designare EX. Bios F6

Hi

I have a problem with "Istat Menus" (latest version). The download speed is not displayed on the graph.
It's strange because the download speed is displayed correctly in the process list, but not on the graph. ( upload is working correctly)
Instead of the speed, it says "OK".
See the screenshot.

I have the same problem on Catalina and on Big sur.

Does anyone have the same problem? Is there a solution?

Thanks

Attachments

• Istat menus.jpg
    Istat menus.jpg
    442.4 KB · Views: 90
Hi tosh, thank you very much for your detailed reply to my post. I've been super busy the last weeks and haven't been able to go through it in detail, but hope to soon.

I think I had exactly the same problem as you when I tried to update on BIOS F3f - the system freezing after a couple of minutes. I posted about it a couple of pages back. I was confused because other users were reporting that they were on F3f with no problems, but I guess that difference is because I was on 11.4 and they weren't. When I got that freeze I then got a Crash Report dialogue on the next boot, and this seemed to indicate the problem was related to NVMe somehow.

I'll try again soon with F3f and F3g on macOS 11.5 and see if it's any different - but based on your findings I'm not expecting it to be.

Thank you for your findings on VCCSA! Based on your view that this is purely a display problem, and that VCCSA is definitely set correctly, I have gone back to setting mine and not leaving it at AUTO. It is a weird problem, because even OS monitoring tools report it at 0.9v, not just the BIOS.

Also that's great info about how to get in touch with GB support. I will have to try messaging them sometime.

I will reply to your post with more details of my findings hopefully soon, when I can test the BIOS update again.

Does anyone have the same problem? Is there a solution?
Yes I have the same problem, and always have:

1628512816840.png

Others have reported it as well. I think it must be an issue with the Small Tree drivers.

OC 0.7.2
mobo Gigabyte X299X Designare 10G, F3C with 6800 XT on Big Sur 11.4.
There is still USB issue, all USB port was gone.
somebody resolve this issue?

And I have a question 6800 XT working on OC 0.6.8?

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    49.1 MB · Views: 78
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back