Contribute
Register

Gigabyte X299X - Catalina Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
@tosh71 You can try use F3c BIOS, I have same problem at F3f.

@lx23 From memory I thought I also had this problem with the F3c. ( I'm not sure)
There are 3 versions of difference between these bios (even if they could never be downloaded). So still a number of bug fixes.
Gigabyte support calls the F3c a "Beta" version
On the F3c there are several options to adjust the CPU/RAM voltage that don't work or don't work properly. And that are very useful for my CPU + RAM overclock

I had a very very bad experience with the F3c Bios. The motherboard and/or the CPU burned out after one month of use (but I don't know the real cause. Maybe a problem with the power supply. I asked for a warranty return for everything )

Can you confirm me that with the Bios F3f you have the same problem? And that with the F3c there is no such problem? please.[/USER]

Last edited:
@lx23 From memory I thought I also had this problem with the F3c. ( I'm not sure)
There are 3 versions of difference between these bios (even if they could never be downloaded). So still a number of bug fixes.
Gigabyte support calls the F3c a "Beta" version
On the F3c there are several options to adjust the CPU/RAM voltage that don't work or don't work properly. And that are very useful for my CPU + RAM overclock

I had a very very bad experience with the F3c Bios. The motherboard and/or the CPU burned out after one month of use (but I don't know the real cause. Maybe a problem with the power supply. I asked for a warranty return for everything )

Can you confirm me that with the Bios F3f you have the same problem? And that with the F3c there is no such problem? please.[/USER]
@tosh71 Yes, I'm sure F3c and 11.4 no problem, and I just enable XMP.
1624863501876.png

1624863675797.png

Hi all,

I have a question about X299 motherboards.
As of today which is the best option as X299 motherboard?
Is the Gigabyte x299x Designare 10g rev 1 a viable option or not?

Thanks a lot.

Hi all,

Thanks a lot.

Hello,

The Gigabyte x299x Designare 10g rev 1 is the only one (I think) that has 2 PCIx16 slots (useful for RAID 4 nvme SSDs on a PCI card)
I have 1 Nvme SSD on the M2 slot under the CPU for the System and 4 Nvme SSDs in RAID on the PCIx16 card for my user folder
If you don't need the 4xSSD PCI card you can choose another motherboard I think.

EDIT:
Only the BIOS version F3c allows to run Big on 11.4
nvram, 2x Eternet 10G, Thunderbolt, USB 3.2, Wifi, Bluetooth, Big on 11.4 everything works (except the bug of the Bios corrected in the recent version. as the function "CPU EIST funstion" and other

EDIT: This following problem are only with the last version of BIOS F3f and F3g:
With a X299X DESIGNARE 10G (rev. 1.0) Big sur everything works well until version 11.2.3 (the nvram works)

But from 11.3 and 11.4 the problems start:

- What I am sure for the moment is that you should not update from 11.2.3 to 11.3 or 11.4 on a X299X DESIGNARE 10G (rev. 1.0).
- You are obliged to do the update on a Mac or another Hackintosh and put your ssd with big on 11.4 already installed in the hackintosh (or use a backup with big sur already installed )

The problem does not come from the EFI but from the motherboard or the bios

I made tests with the version of the BIOS:
- F3c: many bug on this version, "CPU EIST Function" does not work if been in "fixed" voltage mode on the CPU

- F3f: "CPU EIST Function" works correctly with "fixed/manual" voltage mode on the CPU (which allows to vary the CPU voltage according to its speed)

- F3g: A more recent version not available for download that Gigabyte support gave me. I asked them to increase the maximum value of the RAM timing "tREFI" useful if you make Overclock on the Ram to decrease the latency of the Ram. There are obviously some minor improvements in the descriptions of some options and maybe some additional bug fixes on this version)

BIOS setting:
- Disabled VT-d (not test enabled)
- Enabled Above 4G (disabled Resizable BAR)
- do NOT disable "CMS Support" ( dortania guide says of disabled. But this does not work with Big sur 11.4 on this motherboard)

I managed to make the hackintosh work with 11.4. But I haven't finished all my tests.
I'll post a message later today when I'm done

I have not tested with Catalina.

(sorry if my english is bad. it's not the native language)

BIOS F3g:

Attachments

• X299XDESIGNARE10G_f3g.zip
    7.5 MB · Views: 75
Last edited:
Hello,

The Gigabyte x299x Designare 10g rev 1 is the only one (I think) that has 2 PCIx16 slots (useful for RAID 4 nvme SSDs on a PCI card)
I have 1 Nvme SSD on the M2 slot under the CPU for the System and 4 Nvme SSDs in RAID on the PCIx16 card for my user folder
If you don't need the 4xSSD PCI card you can choose another motherboard I think.

With a X299X DESIGNARE 10G (rev. 1.0) Big sur everything works well until version 11.2.3 (the nvram works)

But from 11.3 and 11.4 the problems start:

- What I am sure for the moment is that you should not update from 11.2.3 to 11.3 or 11.4 on a X299X DESIGNARE 10G (rev. 1.0).
- You are obliged to do the update on a Mac or another Hackintosh and put your ssd with big on 11.4 already installed in the hackintosh (or use a backup with big sur already installed )

The problem does not come from the EFI but from the motherboard or the bios

I made tests with the version of the BIOS:
- F3c: many bug on this version, "CPU EIST Function" does not work if been in "fixed" voltage mode on the CPU

- F3f: "CPU EIST Function" works correctly with "fixed/manual" voltage mode on the CPU (which allows to vary the CPU voltage according to its speed)

- F3g: A more recent version not available for download that Gigabyte support gave me. I asked them to increase the maximum value of the RAM timing "tREFI" useful if you make Overclock on the Ram to decrease the latency of the Ram. There are obviously some minor improvements in the descriptions of some options and maybe some additional bug fixes on this version)

BIOS setting:
- Disabled VT-d (not test enabled)
- Enabled Above 4G (disabled Resizable BAR)
- do NOT disable CMS ( dortania guide says of disabled. But this does not work on this motherboard)

I managed to make the hackintosh work with 11.4. But I haven't finished all my tests.
I'll post a message later today when I'm done

I have not tested with Catalina.

(sorry if my english is bad. it's not the native language)

BIOS F3g:
Thanks a lot for your exhaustive reply.
Really helpful and appreciated.

I don't need the 16x NVME card but I like the dual 10G port and integrated Thunderbolt.

The Asus Sage X299 10G has no integrated Thunderbolt and it doesn't have USB 2.0 internal header to connect native bluetooth. It sucks as an internal hub or routing from external USB 2.0 needs to be done.

The Asus Prime X299 DeLuxe II seems ok. It only has 5G Ethernet but it has integrated Thunderbolt 3. Do you know anything about this board? Does Thunderbolt 3 work as expected?

Thanks a lot!

Hi zzmadd, a good entry level tip is the MSI X299 Pro (https://de.msi.com/Motherboard/X299-PRO), you only have to use a patched UEFI (I have it, if you need). I have got it nearly perfect with an RX 580 and 590, and a flashed Alpine Ridge TB Card (1000 thanks to scottkendall). Tested with 9960X, 10900X, 9940X.

@oli.mathieu
I have tested a 10900X successfully with the above mentioned MSI X299 Pro and the Asus Prime X299 A-II, both with the magic of Loloflatsix and UEFIpatch. Not much more complicated than the previous X299´s.
Do you have a patched bios for WS X299 Pro/SE? I am planning on using it with i9-10920X.

@tosh71 You can try use F3c BIOS, I have same problem at F3f.
Thanks @lx23

Actually after several tests Big on 11.4 does not work on the latest version of BIOS F3f and F3g

Only the F3c version allows to run Big on 11.4 on a Gigabyte x299x Designare 10g rev 1 motherboard.
Nvram, 2x Eternet 10G, Thunderbolt, USB 3.2, Wifi, Bluetooth, Big on 11.4 everything works (except the bug of the Bios corrected in the recent version. as the function "CPU EIST funstion" and other

I will contact Gigabyte support. But I am afraid that the problems of a Hackintosh are not their problem

Last edited:
Hi all,

Thanks a lot.

On a Gigabyte x299x Designare 10g rev 1 motherboard everything works fine with an old bios version (F3c)
(except the bug of the Bios corrected in the recent version. as the function "CPU EIST funstion" and other

BIOS F3c:

Attachments

• mb_bios_x299x-designare-10g_f3c.zip
    7.5 MB · Views: 74
Tosh71, your EFI F3c bios run with Radeon RX 6900 ?

I've Gigabyte X299 EX, Intel 9940X, 128Go Corsaire 3600Mhz and a Gigabyte Radeon RX 6800 XT

I don't find what thread exactly I need to fallow

Tosh71, your EFI F3c bios run with Radeon RX 6900 ?

I've Gigabyte X299 EX, Intel 9940X, 128Go Corsaire 3600Mhz and a Gigabyte Radeon RX 6800 XT

I don't find what thread exactly I need to fallow

This is not an EFI but the BIOS of my motherboard (it is no longer downloadable on the Gigabyte site) but it is the only one that works with Big on 11.4 (on my motherboard)

You shouldn't have too many problems with your configuration, you just need Big on 11.4

I've seen people talking about the 6900XT here https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/x299-big-sur-support.302143/page-226#post-2262449

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back