Contribute
Register

Gigabyte X299X - Catalina Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m not dual booting this system.

I’m not dual booting this system.
We have only the information that you provide to work with, you don't say very much.

G'day All, and special thanks to @dolgarrenan for this awesome and very informative writeup....

working away to get this build working also, seems to be running quite well though after flashing the modified thunderbolt firmware I've also lost DisplayPort encapsulation.

I've the Gigabyte X299X motherboard with a Radeon VII. prior to flashing I had the monitor plugged into the motherboard TB3.

Post flashing. I no longer have an image, though macOS does detect the USB devices connected to the monitors USB C output. (Speakers, iSight camera, mouse, keyboard etc are all functioning)

any hints in order to reactivate this lost feature?
@mark.ritchie @dolgarrenan After flashing the modified thunderbolt firmware, I lost DisplayPort too. So I flash back original firmware, DisplayPort and USB C to HDMI all works well.

So with original firmware, you can connect a DP cable to DP IN port from GPU and use TB3 to drive a monitor
but you can't do that with flashed firmware? Seems like a @CaseySJ question. :)
I know generally TB3 monitor support is tricky.
@mark.ritchie @dolgarrenan After flashing the modified thunderbolt firmware, I lost DisplayPort too. So I flash back original firmware, DisplayPort and USB C to HDMI all works well.

So with original firmware, you can connect a DP cable to DP IN port from GPU and use TB3 to drive a monitor
but you can't do that with flashed firmware? Seems like a @CaseySJ question. :)
I know generally TB3 monitor support is tricky.
Yes, with original firmware, I can connect a DP cable to DP IN port from GPU and use TB3 dock to drive a monitor, and I can use USB-C to HDMI drive another monitor at same time.

GPU -> DP IN -> TB3 -> TB3 dock -> DP -> Monitor
GPU -> DP IN -> TB3 -> USB-C to HDMI Adapter -> HDMI -> Monitor

After flashing the modified thunderbolt firmware, two monitors all doesn't work.

Last edited:
Do I see someone else with an WX 7100 :D @lx23

any particular reason to use tb3 to drive the monitor? Seems a bit overly-redundant
Yes, with original firmware, I can connect a DP cable to DP IN port from GPU and use TB3 dock to drive a monitor, and I can use USB-C to HDMI drive another monitor at same time.

GPU -> DP IN -> TB3 -> TB3 dock -> DP -> Monitor
GPU -> DP IN -> TB3 -> USB-C to HDMI Adapter -> HDMI -> Monitor

After flashing the modified thunderbolt firmware, two monitors all doesn't work.

any particular reason to use tb3 to drive the monitor? Seems a bit overly-redundant
Just for test now, maybe use LG 5k (27MD5KL) later.

Hello,

EDIT: Problem solved
the problem comes from the BIOS version. The last versions do not work with Big sur 11.4 and 11.3
Big sur 11.4 works with BIOS version F3c. But not with F3f and F3g
With F3f and F3g big sur only works up to 11.2.3

I know I'm not exactly in the right thread. But there are more people with the same motherboard here on than on "x299 support big sur" so I'm posting as well. Maybe someone will have an idea.

I have a problem with Big sur 11.4 ( and 11.3). It starts correctly and is functional. But after about 1 minute it freezes, all is blocked.

My config:

Gigabyte X299X-DESIGNARE-10G-rev-1 ( Bios version F3f )
I9-10980XE
AMD Readon PRO w5700
SSD Nvme WD SN750
Corsair 4x32Go

OpenCore 0.7.0
ALL Kext are the latest versions

My Hackintosh with my EFI works perfectly on Big Sur 11.2.3.

But it was impossible for me to update from big sur 11.2.3 to Big sur 11.3 or 11.4 (the update stuck shortly after the first reboot)
So I installed 11.4 on a real mac and put the ssd in the hackintosh.

The hackintosh starts correctly and is functional. But after about 1 minute. It freezes, all is blocked.

Various info:
I tested with Big sur installed on a SSD Nvme on a m2 port and with Big sur on a SATA SSD 2.5 inch.
On my motherboard and Big sur 11.2.3 the Nvram is functional.
I have tested several other EFI that should work, but I still have the same problem. ( I'm afraid the problem is not with the EFI but with the motherboard or the bios)
I built my EFI following the Dortania guide. Made the SSDT files with the "manual" method ( but also test with the other methods )

I am a 3D artist and work for my own account ( on Mac, I have no choice).
But I have been looking for a solution to this problem for a month now. I have tried everything.
And so a month that I do not work.

I am desperate. I really need your help.
If anyone has any ideas or suggestions.
Or another EFI for a Gigabyte X299X-DESIGNARE-10G that works with Big sur 11.4.
Has anyone ever run Big sur 11.4 correctly on the same motherboard as me? What version of the bios is he using?

I'm sorry if my English is bad. It is not my native language.

Help. Thanks in advance for your answers.

My EFI:

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    31 MB · Views: 91
Last edited:
Hello,

I know I'm not exactly in the right thread. But there are more people with the same motherboard here on than on "x299 support big sur" so I'm posting as well. Maybe someone will have an idea.

I have a problem with Big sur 11.4 ( and 11.3). It starts correctly and is functional. But after about 1 minute it freezes, all is blocked.

My config:

Gigabyte X299X-DESIGNARE-10G-rev-1 ( Bios version F3f )
I9-10980XE
AMD Readon PRO w5700
SSD Nvme WD SN750
Corsair 4x32Go

OpenCore 0.7.0
ALL Kext are the latest versions

My Hackintosh with my EFI works perfectly on Big Sur 11.2.3.

But it was impossible for me to update from big sur 11.2.3 to Big sur 11.3 or 11.4 (the update stuck shortly after the first reboot)
So I installed 11.4 on a real mac and put the ssd in the hackintosh.

The hackintosh starts correctly and is functional. But after about 1 minute. It freezes, all is blocked.

Various info:
I tested with Big sur installed on a SSD Nvme on a m2 port and with Big sur on a SATA SSD 2.5 inch.
On my motherboard and Big sur 11.2.3 the Nvram is functional.
I have tested several other EFI that should work, but I still have the same problem. ( I'm afraid the problem is not with the EFI but with the motherboard or the bios)
I built my EFI following the Dortania guide. Made the SSDT files with the "manual" method ( but also test with the other methods )

I am a 3D artist and work for my own account ( on Mac, I have no choice).
But I have been looking for a solution to this problem for a month now. I have tried everything.
And so a month that I do not work.

I am desperate. I really need your help.
If anyone has any ideas or suggestions.
Or another EFI for a Gigabyte X299X-DESIGNARE-10G that works with Big sur 11.4.
Has anyone ever run Big sur 11.4 correctly on the same motherboard as me? What version of the bios is he using?

I'm sorry if my English is bad. It is not my native language.

Help. Thanks in advance for your answers.

My EFI:
@tosh71 You can try use F3c BIOS, I have same problem at F3f.

Attachments

• X299D10G.F3c.zip
    7.4 MB · Views: 78
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back