Contribute
Register

Gigabyte X299X - Catalina Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, cool, thanks for the info, yeah, I only did a testing RAM overclock, from 3200 to 3466 and when entering BIOS and safe it, that't what pops-up when saving.

All the drives are APFS formatted. HFS will work when OS is loaded I guess ? Just not in OC if 'ConnectDrivers=false'
Yes, ConnectDrivers=false only affects OpenCore's ability to boot from HFS. Unless you have some ancient macOS install on HFS, in practice the only effect you're likely to notice is that you can't boot the macOS Installer, which is HFS. But once the OS is installed on APFS it can be booted, and once booted everything will work normally.

Therefore setting ConnectDrivers=false could be a long term solution for us: if/when we need to do a new install, we set it back to True, put up with the BIOS boot issue while installing (after it's rebooted once, the next boot will always work - until you go into the BIOS and hit F10 to re-save BIOS settings), then once installed set it to False again and everything will work normally. Making a new macOS install should be a very rare thing to do once the OS is installed (personally I never do it, even when moving to a new drive or system, as I use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone my existing install.)

However we also have the patch which allows full normal OC usage. For now at least - one day it may no longer apply cleanly, depending on how the OpenCore code changes over time. I'd love to see it permanently included in OpenCore but it's @JTR 's work and he doesn't seem to have the time to submit it to Acidanthera at the moment.

Or Apple should do AFPS for Install drives Problem solved

Me personally prefer a clean install if I go to a new MacOS version...
For Audio software Pro Tools, it's better in my Eyes

Ugh, not for me. I've got 5+ years of installed apps and preferences for those apps. I've not done a fresh install since El Capitan, and all three of my hacks are using the same installation - so I know all of them have the same apps, and are configured in the same way.

yeah, it's mine vision

But thanks for the info, will try it tomorrow.

Yes, it was the solution to my problem :)

Just one thing I notice is that the I’m not getting a readout if my CPU temps and FAN Speeds, while the GPU is showing everything.

Just one thing I notice is that the I’m not getting a readout if my CPU temps and FAN Speeds, while the GPU is showing everything.
Install Intel Power Gadget then use HWMonitorSMC2. iStat Menus provides some info as well, but not all.

This also requires VirtualSMC.kext + SMCProcessor.kext + SMCSuperIO.kext

1619596777348.png

Accordingly with this page, Gigabyte just (2021/04/27) released a new BIOS, F3f for X299X DESIGNARE 10G.
Interestingly, they don't show any previous F3 BIOSes, probably because we all know they're hella buggy.

If anyone is brave enough to upgrade, please let us know if it fixes anything.
My system is heavily used for now; can't afford a downtime.

Just in case it disappears, attaching it here, but encourage you to download it from the source.

The checksum of the file I uploaded was calculated as following:

shasum -a 256 -b mb_bios_x299x-designare-10g_f3f.zip

The checksum is
466557f1cc4fb82692500f32f0c50a3bdf71b9df550ed39d7fc73dc9b65e1691 *mb_bios_x299x-designare-10g_f3f.zip

Use at your own risk. Again, it's best to download form the link above.

Attachments

• mb_bios_x299x-designare-10g_f3f.zip
    7.5 MB · Views: 34
Thanks for the heads-up, @teosoft.

Wow so they actually did add Resizable Bar support. I'd been assuming they were going to never release a new BIOS ever.

That'll theoretically be good for my 6900XT in Windows, but it's currently unusable in macOS (and must be disabled to boot macOS on most motherboards.)

That's the only change according to the changelog (the other things listed were things already added by F3C). Now, what's the betting that that's the ONLY change, and they haven't fixed a single bug?

I'll try and give it a go tomorrow.

Wow so they actually did add Resizable Bar support. I'd been assuming they were going to never release a new BIOS ever.
And I just received two w5700 Pro, where it's not supported :(

That's the only change according to the changelog (the other things listed were things already added by F3C). Now, what's the betting that that's the ONLY change, and they haven't fixed a single bug?
They had all the fixes in F3d and F3e release notes :)

I'll try and give it a go tomorrow.

Let us know if there's any improvements. I'm particularly curious if it will reprogram Thunderbolt firmware, which was so hard to put in in the first place. I can't think about disassembling the mobo again.

Let us know if there's any improvements. I'm particularly curious if it will reprogram Thunderbolt firmware, which was so hard to put in in the first place. I can't think about disassembling the mobo again.

Normally not, Firmware update is with a software on Windows, so you should be save.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back