Contribute
Register

Gigabyte X299X - Catalina Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
@TheBloke I post it here, maybe you didn't saw my question:

I see you have the CalDigit Dock, can you test if you inject Video from you GPU to Thunderbolt you can get it out of the DP Port on the Dock ?
Because this would be very helpful for my Studio setup because the PC will be in an Other room.
So I going to buy a Thunderbolt 3 Optical Cable of 15m if it works like this.

@TheBloke I post it here, maybe you didn't saw my question:

I see you have the CalDigit Dock, can you test if you inject Video from you GPU to Thunderbolt you can get it out of the DP Port on the Dock ?
Because this would be very helpful for my Studio setup because the PC will be in an Other room.
So I going to buy a Thunderbolt 3 Optical Cable of 15m if it works like this.
Yes, that works. I can get one GPU output from either the DisplayPort or the Thunderbolt-Out (via USB-C to DP cable), when I have a single DP cable from GPU to the DP-In port that matches the TB3 port that the dock is connected to.

Unfortunately what doesn't work is getting two monitor outputs from the dock. This would work on a real Mac - connecting one monitor to the dock's DP out, and another to the Thunderbolt out with USB-C-DP adapter - but not on this MB, I guess because the single DP cable going to single DP port doesn't have any way to split to multiple monitors (and macOS doesn't support DP MST). I didn't really expect that to work, but I was still hoping it might, as getting two monitors for one GPU output would be really useful if/when I can use my new 6900XT GPU which only has four monitor outputs.

Note that I have not (yet) flashed my TB3 firmware. Earlier in the thread there was a report by a user who found that after flashing their TB3 firmware to get full Thunderbolt Bus support, they could no longer get a monitor signal out of the TB3 port:

working away to get this build working also, seems to be running quite well though after flashing the modified thunderbolt firmware I've also lost DisplayPort encapsulation.

I've the Gigabyte X299X motherboard with a Radeon VII. prior to flashing I had the monitor plugged into the motherboard TB3.

Post flashing. I no longer have an image, though macOS does detect the USB devices connected to the monitors USB C output. (Speakers, iSight camera, mouse, keyboard etc are all functioning)

any hints in order to reactivate this lost feature?

Doesn't sound like they tested a dock, just a direct USBC->DP cable connected to one TB3 port. But be aware that there might be some issue there if you do flash your TB3 firmware. But you could always flash it back if you find the same issue.

Also I don't think they spoke to CaseySJ about it, so maybe some fix is possible with further investigation.

I'll likely try TB3 flashing at some point, but probably won't be for a few weeks. If/when I do I'll report back as to whether I see the same issue.

Hi, thanks for your testing, really nice to hear that it works for you.
This would be a game changer for my setup.

I attached my basement with Studio Room 3D pasted into it.

So only thing I will need then is a Bluetooth Stick that is native with OSX so I can plug it into the Dock, I hope that will work.

Attachments

• Basement + Studio.png
    Basement + Studio.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 43
Last edited:
So only thing I will need then is a Bluetooth Stick that is native with OSX so I can plug it into the Dock, I hope that will work.
Yeah there are various USB bluetooth sticks that work OK. You won't get Continuity features like Handoff / Airdrop / etc, but for basic wireless connectivity they work OK. I used to use a basic CSR 4.0 Bluetooth USB on my old X58 system, it worked OK.

Or maybe you could get a super long aerial cable and run an aerial from the 2 x aerial ports on the back of the motherboard, and put a WiFi/BT aerial in your main room :) Or just closer to the main room. That way you could use the onboard Intel BT with IntelBluetoothFirmware.

Using the little aerial that was bundled with the GB motherboard, which is sitting on top of my case, I get a very good BT signal - I can connect to my TV which is in the room below me, and it picks up mobile phones that are in various other downstairs rooms.

Yeah, maybe I can do that, I was thinking about extending the RF to the other room.
So the internal included WiFi / Bluetooth module is fully working with all Apples extra's working ?

So the internal included WiFi / Bluetooth module is fully working with all Apples extra's working ?
They're usable, but not yet fully working like a native Mac. At this time, support is as follows:

Bluetooth (with IntelBluetoothFirmware): Fully working as long as you're not using the built-in WiFi at 2.4Ghz in which case there are BT glitches. Connect WiFi at 5Ghz (or don't connect at all) and it's fine.

WiFi (with AirportItlwm): Works, but currently only at 20Mhz. Meaning max speed is 40-50Mb/s. This is being actively worked on and it's hoped that WiFi AC support will be coming fairly soon.

Apple Continuity features: No AirDrop or Personal Hotspot. Handoff and Universal Clipboard are listed as working, but I haven't personally been able to get them working with my iPad Air running 12.5.1.

This will change over time, as AirportItlwm is being worked on all the time. In fact there was a new alpha release just a couple of days ago, version 1.3.0, which apparently improves speed a bit. And 1.4.0 is planned to bring more bandwidth and WiFi AC support. I believe the author also has plans to bring more Apple features as well.

But if you want it all to 'just work' and be 100% Mac-like and full speed right now, you're better off replacing the M2 with one of the supported Broadcom cards.

ok, yeah I have a working AirPort card via OSX86WIFI [BCM943602CDP – 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac with Bluetooth 4.2]

So I could just use this one in a PCIe slot.

ok, yeah I have a working AirPort card via OSX86WIFI [BCM943602CDP – 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac with Bluetooth 4.2]
You have to disable the motherboard's built-in bluetooth if you are using an external card otherwise it won't work.
It's simple, just exclude the HS14 USB port from USB mapping or via boot arg.

Or just not injecting the kexts ?

If your card is natively supported there is no need for kext.
However, the Intel bluetooth seems to conflict with that of the BCM94360 card, and then you have to exclude it, or none of them will work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back