Contribute
Register

Gigabyte X299X - Catalina Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
As promised, here is my fork of OpenCore 0.6.4 with the patch for our board's boot failure issues: https://github.com/jacobbaratta/OpenCorePkg/tree/x299x-designare-10g_0.6.4

I've attached pre-built binaries for debug/release builds as of commit 5263e7e06999eeddbffcc7f9752f271a402796ba. I've successfully tested the debug build, but I haven't bothered with testing the release build yet.

Please test this and provide feedback!

Superb work, @JTR ! Working well for me on BIOS F3C. Thanks so much for all the time you spent diagnosing and fixing, and for sharing the fix with us in a public repo.

Came at a great time for me, because just the other day I realised that with my Intel X520 fibre 10GBe NIC installed, I was getting the issue on every boot. The NIC adds a multi-second delay to BIOS initialisation - related to its UEFI driver I suppose - and this was enough to cause every boot to trigger the safe mode reboot, including from SSD/NVMe which had always worked for me before.

Fingers' crossed that Acidanthera will accept it, once you're ready to submit. Looking at the code it looks straightforward enough that hopefully they'll be willing to.

Re GB, sadly this does not surprise me. I swear this must be the buggiest motherboard I have ever seen. I just can't understand how they can have the audacity to not patch any of these issues after 12+ months.

I finally have RAM overclocking working thanks to that video you linked. The workaround is easy, but until you know how it's easy to assume that your RAM just won't OC, or that all RAM OC is broken on this board. And it's a bug they've definitely known about for at least 13 months and apparently don't give a damn about fixing.

On top of that there's an issue with VCCSA resetting back to AUTO (or at least to 0.9V). Again only affects overclocking, but this is a £600+ motherboard that's marketed for "pursuing the highest overclock performance". I saw this issue a month or two ago and at the time thought it was macOS specific, but it's not. Whenever I set VCCSA ("CPU System Agent Voltage" as it's called in the BIOS) to a specific value, I will find later, after shutting down in Windows or macOS, that it's back to 0.9V. Then to make matters worse, it can't just be re-applied by hitting F10 in the BIOS. In order for it to recognise you made a change, you have to alter the value. Eg if it was set to 1.250V, you need to set it to 1.245 or 1.255, so that F10 recognises a change has been made and sets it. Meaning if you wanted it at a specific value, you'd have to do TWO reboots and F10s. Then next time you shut down it'll revert again and you have to do it all again. This bug could actually be dangerous, because I've read that when doing RAM OC, VCCSA should never be left at auto as it can apply too-high voltage levels.

Then there's a less serious but still stupid and annoying bug: if you set DRAM speed to any non-default value, the BIOS shows that setting as changed every time you enter the BIOS in future. So if you go into the BIOS and change nothing, it will still always prompt you to save your changes because it thinks DRAM speed has changed. This effectively breaks Boot Override completely, because it won't let you boot override if you've made BIOS changes - it prompts you to save them and reboot instead. Not nearly as big a deal as the other bugs, but still dumb and yet another thing that can waste the user's time.

All that's on top of occasional BIOS resets when trying to apply profiles, and the French language issue which I now seem to get regularly for some reason. I hadn't had it go into French for ages, and thought it only happened after boot failures or BIOS resets. But now it seems to be happening every time I shutdown in Windows, making me think it's related to using the F12 boot menu, as that's how I'm currently booting Windows, rather than doing it from OpenCore. What a mess.

Once I'm on a stable config I'm going to double check these issues in F3B so I can decide between the versions. I know the RAM training voltage issue is in both, but not sure about the other issues such as VCCSA.

Last edited:
Hi @TheBloke, I recently want to upgrade my mobo to same as your Gigabyte X299X Designare 10G, I also found that @JTR share the fixed OC 0.64 config here for us thank you all so much! May I ask is it fully compatible with Big Sur OS? Is there any area still need to fix I need to concern? Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
I was getting the BIOS boot error and so changed these settings in config.plist
  • DisableRtcChecksum: YES
    • "Prevents AppleRTC from writing to primary checksum (0x58-0x59), required for users who either receive BIOS reset or are sent into Safe mode after reboot/shutdown"
  • DisableIOMapper: NO
    • I've disabled VT-d in the BIOS
  • PowerTimeoutKernelPanic: NO
    • This is just something that might not be related but OC suggests it is set to YES but NO works for me.
This may or may not be useful, but just thought I'd share what is currently working for me.

@oreoapple I'm coming up against the same issue. Recently flashed the TB Firmware. All works well but the Speed says Up to 20Gb/s x2 instead of 40.

I have 2x Radeon VIIs in the case and another Radeon VII in one eGPU and a 5700XT in the other. The Radeon VII in the eGPU will show up as "Display" (with no kexts loaded) if I have both eGPUs turned on from cold boot.

This was my process in Catalina prior to flashing and both would show up.

In Big Sur (with the flashed FW) I can only use 1 eGPU as the PCI Lane width for the Radeon VII is reading as 16x instead of 4x and I think that causes a kernel panic if I hot plug both eGPUs.

I'm happy hot plug works btw, so it has been a useful exercise doing this...

I feel so close to the solution but it'll take a bit more time and research to get right – and it could even be something in Big Sur / OpenCore. I wasn't able to get both eGPUs working in Catalina until 10.15.6/7 as I recall.

Hoping we can both solve this!

I mainly use blackmagic recorder and a TB3 NAS: the recorder only works if I plug in before I boot. NAS works great.
I also tried thunderbolt bridge with my MBP, works great too.
I feel like we are 99.99% there.

@oreoapple I'm coming up against the same issue. Recently flashed the TB Firmware. All works well but the Speed says Up to 20Gb/s x2 instead of 40.

I have 2x Radeon VIIs in the case and another Radeon VII in one eGPU and a 5700XT in the other. The Radeon VII in the eGPU will show up as "Display" (with no kexts loaded) if I have both eGPUs turned on from cold boot.

This was my process in Catalina prior to flashing and both would show up.

In Big Sur (with the flashed FW) I can only use 1 eGPU as the PCI Lane width for the Radeon VII is reading as 16x instead of 4x and I think that causes a kernel panic if I hot plug both eGPUs.

I'm happy hot plug works btw, so it has been a useful exercise doing this...

I feel so close to the solution but it'll take a bit more time and research to get right – and it could even be something in Big Sur / OpenCore. I wasn't able to get both eGPUs working in Catalina until 10.15.6/7 as I recall.

Hoping we can both solve this!

@oreoapple and I have now solved our TB3 Speed related issues thanks to the help of @CaseySJ and this post by @Elias64Fr. I believe there must have been a typo in the X299X Designare 10G TB3 SSDT that HackinDROM generates. This now appears to be fixed.

So as suggested, it is solved "by changing "LinkDetails" to "linkDetails" on _DSM NHI0 device"—Elias64Fr
Notice the lowercase 'l'... that was it!

So instead of Speed 20Gb/s x2 it now reads 40GB/s x1. It was probably only a cosmetic fix, but hey, I'm very happy to be able to put this one to bed now.

@imcalledandy
So glad the issue was resolved. One thing I want to mention is that this is more than a cosmetic fix: my blackmagic mini recorder now has full hot-plug working with 40x1; before I need to plug it in it before booting the system. So technically speaking, something is still going on than simply 20x2 to 40x1, but hey we are good now :D
My guess is that there might be some kinda protocol negotiation going on related to the speed, so for certain device if it's not 40x1, it may not be happy if the device is hot-plug.

@oreoapple and I have now solved our TB3 Speed related issues thanks to the help of @CaseySJ and this post by @Elias64Fr. I believe there must have been a typo in the X299X Designare 10G TB3 SSDT that HackinDROM generates. This now appears to be fixed.

So as suggested, it is solved "by changing "LinkDetails" to "linkDetails" on _DSM NHI0 device"—Elias64Fr

So instead of Speed 20Gb/s x2 it now reads 40GB/s x1. It was probably only a cosmetic fix, but hey, I'm very happy to be able to put this one to bed now.

We actually found this issue several months ago and discussed it in the Z390 Designare thread. In the intervening time it completely skipped my mind. Glad that Elias caught it!

Hi, are there any solutions to get the integrated Wifi and BT card on the X299X Designare 10G to work on the latest versions of Catalina?
I've tried everything but nothing for now, I guess I'm not the only one.
I also tried to install the BCM943602CS pci card, which on my previous build worked natively, but only Wifi works.
Some idea?

This card works for me without any problems. Fully compatible replacement.
No need to install any drivers, supporting kexts or SSDTs.
It's a bit dated compared to Intel, but unlike Intel card the motherboard comes with, it just works.
Both BT and WiFi work.

WiFi might not be super fast as reported by Network Utility App, but I don't really care about WiFi, I have 10GbE switch :)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B083YXS7VF/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

Hi, are there any solutions to get the integrated Wifi and BT card on the X299X Designare 10G to work on the latest versions of Catalina?
I've tried everything but nothing for now, I guess I'm not the only one.
I also tried to install the BCM943602CS pci card, which on my previous build worked natively, but only Wifi works.
Some idea?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back