Contribute
Register

Gigabyte X299X - Catalina Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
not able to boot it with x299x aorus master
You'll need to provide a lot more information than that if you want someone to help you.

Install OpenCore DEBUG version, enable debug logging, then upload your opencore-*.txt log file, and any panic-*.txt log files, along with a screenshot/video showing when/where it fails during boot. Also upload your full EFI folder, of course.

Note that most of us in this thread have the Designare 10G, not Aorus Master, so we can't test directly on your motherboard.

We can't help without a lot more information.

First thing to try: Upload your config.plist to the OpenCore Configuration Checker and see if it spots any problems. Choose OC version: 0.6.3 and Platform: "HEDT: (7th, 8th, 9th, 10th Gen) Skylake-X".

You should always check your config on the above link every time you upgrade to a new OpenCore version, as it will tell you about new settings you might be missing or might have set up wrong.

It won't spot every issue and it's not necessarily perfect for our motherboards. But it will spot major/obvious problems, liking missing configuration options.

Good day @TheBloke :). Yes I edited the smbios and put in my machine's personal info. i went in and edited each that was labeled "changeme" with my own.

The other things I changed was SecureBootModel with value Disabled and another change I can't currently recall, as it wouldn't allow the SSDT's to run without them. I was running into the following error (which I eventually got past):
"CSB: No suitable signature - Security Violation OCB: Apple Secure Boot prohibits this boot entry, enforcing! OCB: LoadImage failed - Security Violation"
Ah yes, the EFIs in this thread have all had SecureBootModel at Default. Strange it's causing you problems, it worked fine for me and others. Maybe related to your WiFi card, given that's causing problems elsewhere apparently.

EDIT: I've since seen this problem described elsewhere, and apparently it's an Apple bug. Something to do with the signature on the recovery volume being out of date or wrong. The upshot is that certain users have to boot with SecureBootModel = Disabled until they've updated their OS.

Hmmm This i don't believe I did (I saw your next instructional post response to me. I'll be sure to do that next time around). Can you clarity how this is done for me? Are you reffering to "AllowNvramReset"?
Yes, setting AllowNvramReset to true will enable the Reset NVRam option in the BIOS boot picker menu, allowing you to reset NVRAM at any time from the OpenCore menu. I added a comment in the latest EFI to point it out.

Just boot from OpenCore as normal, then select the last option in the boot menu - called "Reset NVRAM" or something like that. The system will then reboot automatically.
So this one is an interesting one. I have my MacOS on a gygabyte ssd and my windows on a sabrent ssd. I've always found interesting that when I installed windows, my bios would still display/recognize my windows drive (installed on my sabrent ssd) as a gigabyte partition (where macOS is installed). Perhaps it was an error on my part during installation. I am planning on reinstalling windows shortly, so i'll be able to find out if it was user error soon enough.
When installing Windows I recommend doing so with no other SSDs installed, otherwise it may put its bootloader on the wrong drive. It did that for me - I installed Windows with my macOS NVMe also installed, and it put the Windows bootloader on the macOS drive instead, probably because it was the first drive on the system.

It's easy enough to transfer EFI boot loaders - they're just files you can copy around - but you can avoid the problem to begin with by installing Windows with no other drives installed.

Not sure if that's what happened, but it's possible.
Yes I was referring the Airportbrcmfixup kext...it would instruct the computer to reboot, and unfortunately never stop rebooting. i'll disable it just to be safe next time till get the system booting up. Then enable it and see what behavior it does after.
Do you have a Broadcom wireless device then? If not, just disable that kext. If you do, then that's odd it's causing problems. I don't have a Broadcom wireless device so I have no experience of how they work and can't test personally.

But yes, disable it for now until everything else is confirmed working.
I was booting an existing installation of Mojave. And yes, I had my thunderbolt devices connected and USB drives, but only PCIE devices were my Wifi card and GPU. As the EFI I created crashed for the upgrade crashed, I didn't save it. However, moving forward I will create a folder and keep track of each specific EFI I use regardless if it works or not.
Yes, I recommend keeping a record of the EFI partitions you try. I take a backup before any major change.
Screenshot 2020-11-21 at 12.21.38.png

--------------------------------------------------

Now onto your next post (the instructions). Great load of information. I haven't read through all of it, but I'll print it out just to make sure i'm not missing anything. Guess I'll report back in a couple days. Again, many many thanks @TheBloke . Grateful for all your help!

Hope it works a bit better this time!

Last edited:
I'm still having some trouble with this X299X build. I SPI programmed the TB chip with the Z390 firmware successfully and added the custom generated Z390 aml file to OC/ACPI.

It works well, only I consistently get a kernel panic -> reboot when cold booting, during loading. After this kernel panic, the system restarts and and boots successfully into macOS.

If I turn on the Apollo X4 when in macOS after a cold boot, it also freezes and restarts due to kernel panic.

So, in essence, I would argue it's working well, but it's annoying to have a to reboot every time the system is started the first time.

I've added the log files, hopefully someone has an idea.

PS: Happens on both ports. Flashing process was fine, as far as I can tell, due to checking back then, and TB information loading in System Profiler.

Attachments

• panic-2020-11-24-131149.txt
    8 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
Hi, a few days ago I updated Clover to version 5126 and only now I realized that on Ioreg x86platformplugin has disappeared and also the GPU no longer has AGPM. Why?
From Intel Power Gadget, however, it seems that power management works.

The usual reason for X86PlatformPlugin not working is that plugin_type=1 hasn't been set against the first CPU, which in OpenCore is done with an SSDT.

As to how that's achieved in Clover, or why it would suddenly stop working, I'm afraid I have no idea. I've been 100% OpenCore since I started with my X299 system, and I think most other users are as well.

I'd highly recommend you consider moving to OpenCore 0.6.3. It's far simpler to debug issues, and it's the future of Hackintoshing. Clover only works on Big Sur because it now incorporates parts of OpenCore.

In addition to this thread, there's also a (much more active) X299 thread here: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/x299-big-sur-support.302143/page-99

Between this thread and that one you should be able to get all the OpenCore help you need.

I'd start by following the Dortania guide for X299: https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Install-Guide/config-HEDT/skylake-x.html

If you want an EFI to reference, I uploaded one in this thread a few days back (for the Designare X299X 10G) and there's multiple EFIs for various X299 motherboards uploaded in the thread I linked above.

Last edited:
0.6.3 is working fine for me and many other people.

What problem are you having?
Do you have a Working OC EFI for Catalina and big sure you could share with me? I've been using the one in the (with updated kext) op (that works fine with a little tweaking/updating) but I'm trying to update to the latest 0.6.3 and I can boot all but my clover EFI works flawlessly (minus the downsides clover bring). I have the same MB X299X GB 10G with the 5700XT. I tried your TheBloke.OpenCore.0.6.3-DEBUG.EFI.17112020, but I can't get to the Big Sur install screen. It loads everything up (verbose degug) then black screen then shut down. I'm just trying to migrate clover to OC on Catalina first, then move to getting a fully functional Big Sur... I also have your been using your bios version FC3macOSAuto. Im not a newbie at this at all its' just OC the new to me and I've stayed up the last 3 days until 5am just to get OC to work with the least 0.6.3.
Thanks in advanced bro for any help, I appreciate it fr.

Last edited:
Do you have a Working OC EFI for Catalina and big sure you could share with me? I've been using the one in the (with updated kext) op (that works fine with a little tweaking/updating) but I'm trying to update to the latest 0.6.3 and I can boot all but my clover EFI works flawlessly (minus the downsides clover bring). I have the same MB X299X GB 10G with the 5700XT. I tried your TheBloke.OpenCore.0.6.3-DEBUG.EFI.17112020, but I can't get to the Big Sur install screen. It loads everything up (verbose degug) then black screen then shut down. I'm just trying to migrate clover to OC on Catalina first, then move to getting a fully functional Big Sur... I also have your been using your bios version FC3macOSAuto. Im not a newbie at this at all its' just OC the new to me and I've stayed up the last 3 days until 5am just to get OC to work with the least 0.6.3.
Thanks in advanced bro for any help, I appreciate it fr.
As per reply in other thread: try agdpmod=pikera boot-arg.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back