Contribute
Register

Gigabyte X299X - Catalina Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry to hear you're having issues overclocking.

Is anyone else overclocking their system? I'm just bought the Designare 10G + 10980XE and definitely hope to overclock if I can.
I will be doing so soon. I also have the Designare and the 10980XE, planning to put it under water to see how far I can get, OC wise. I'll probably post updates here if I get the build up and running and when the OC is finished.

I will be doing so soon. I also have the Designare and the 10980XE, planning to put it under water to see how far I can get, OC wise. I'll probably post updates here if I get the build up and running and when the OC is finished.
OK cool. I'll do the same. I got the Cooler Master ML360R MasterLiquid 360mm AIO radiator so hopefully I have some thermal headroom to get a decent all-core clock, assuming this works OK for macOS.

My system comes tomorrow and I'll update once I've got macOS booted and somewhat stable and am ready to start an OC.

Mine is the X299X Designare and I guess from your signature you have the Z390 Designare? I don't know how those differ exactly but hopefully we can get similar results.
That's my current system. I'm moving from that one to a Designare X299X, same as you. I have most of the components ready but am currently waiting for a better power supply, given that an OC'd 10980XE can pull up 500 Watts by itself.

Yeah sorry I realised a few minutes later the Z390 doesn't even support the 10980XE :)

Yeah I heard about it reaching up to 500W. I'm going to start with a 1KW PSU, re-using the eVGA G1 80+ Gold I'm currently using in my old X58 legacy system (which I'll downgrade to 750W). I'm hoping 1KW will be enough for an OC, as I'll only have one GPU.

Fingers crossed we can get some decent OC action on this setup! I was pretty pleased with the 4.3Ghz I managed on my Xeon X5670 on X58, but that's 10 years old now and I don't have any experience OCing anything newer.

Hi, Yes sorry my sig changes too often so a bit lazy to adjust it every time. But yes the BIOS profile can be used on X299X Aurus Master with BIOS F3d. And the EFI folder too. Also this: "rtcfx_exclude=00-FF" can be removed as I have RTCfix enabled in OpenCore same config file. The rtcfx_exclude=00-FF was just for testing to see where the part was to reset BIOS. And as without it and the BIOS profile used I did not have one time a BIOS error nor failure.

I have used this with 3 machines same board same CPU and they all work fine. It is important that when you have OSX running and all work is done to reset NVRAM from OpenCore once and then select in OSX system-prefs the OSX boot disk for booting. It will be stored in NVRAM and stay's there next time and so on. Only once and then just use your machine.

Good luck.

<deleted>

Last edited:
I've been working on overclocking my Designare 10G + 10980XE, using OpenCore 0.6.2 to boot macOS 10.15.7.

Short summary is that I do seem to have a working all-core overclock at 4.6Ghz, booted into macOS and running OK, including some mild load testing with Cinebench.

It's only preliminary, as I've not yet tried to push the overclock any further, and haven't done much stress testing. Also I'm currently only able to run with dual-channel RAM because two of my 32GB DDR4 DIMMs turned out to have a shedload of errors. I've got some new DIMMs arriving tomorrow so hopefully I'll then be able to test quad-channel, at which point I'll post my first overclock findings and settings.

I'm posting now because I've found a weird issue that I'm wondering if anyone else has seen, and which I think I should warn any new users about:

When overclocking, booting OpenCore after going into the BIOS menus is causing boot failure 100% of the time, and causes my overclock / CPU voltage settings to be reset.

This caused me a lot of confusion for a while, and really slowed my testing until I figured out what was happening:
  1. If I boot without first hitting Delete to go into the BIOS, OpenCore is able to launch macOS fine. I've tested this 10 times in a row to be certain, testing both reboots and shutdown.
  2. But if I first go into the BIOS and then later boot OpenCore without rebooting in between, my system will power down early in the OpenCore process. OpenCore will display its initial boot messages up to and including "EXITBS:START", then the system will immediately power down and then boot up again.
    1. This happens if I go into the BIOS and then select OpenCore's EFI from the Boot Override menu,
    2. and it happens if I go into the BIOS then "Exit without saving", letting the EFI entry boot after the BIOS exits.
  3. When the system comes back up, I will find that my current CPU/RAM status has reset to default:
    1. RAM will be running at 1.2V and 2666Mhz (ignoring XMP)
    2. CPU will be running at 1.0V and 3.8ghz (ignoring any CPU overclock settings)
  4. My actual BIOS settings will still be correct, creating a weird situation where my BIOS settings say one thing, but the current CPU/RAM status (as shown on the right of the BIOS screens) has totally different values.
  5. When the system comes back up I need to go into the BIOS again and hit F10 to re-save my existing settings (which I haven't changed, I'm just re-applying them). After it reboots I'll be back to the correct CPU and RAM voltage and speeds.
  6. Note that I only have one EFI partition accessible (OpenCore on a USB drive), so this is not related to the BIOS issue where having multiple EFI boot partitions causes boot failure.

I've had this happen in both BIOS F3B and F3C. I'm currently on F3B because in F3C I was getting those weird issues where the BIOS would sometimes reset and go into French (it happened to me twice when I was trying to Load Profile.)

But even in F3B, this issue described above still exists.

I have no idea if this is a BIOS issue or an OpenCore issue, or some mis-configuration. If I had to guess I'd say it's a BIOS issue, because this BIOS has so many issues! I don't understand what the difference is between booting directly into OpenCore versus doing so after the BIOS has loaded. But clearly there is some difference, at least when overclock settings are applied.

Anyway, once you know about the issue it isn't a huge deal. You just need to remember that any time you go into the BIOS, never start the boot process into OpenCore. If you changed nothing in the BIOS, either hit F10 to force a save and reboot, or else just power down and up again so the boot can happen without the BIOS being loaded.

Besides that weird issue that cost me a lot of time, otherwise the overclocking seems to be going OK. I'll report in that on more detail tomorrow or Sunday, once I'm back on a quad-channel setup.

Last edited:
I think this option is only available in OC 0.6.2 ... I cannot confirm. I guess our option should be to put it YES lol
  • DisableRtcChecksum: NO
    • Prevents AppleRTC from writing to primary checksum (0x58-0x59), required for users who either receive BIOS reset or are sent into Safe mode after reboot/shutdown

I am so sorry for not answering and not following neither investigating and trying to fix issues with you mates.
No need to apologise! I had it fixed within a few hours and it was thanks to your BIOS config that I got it sorted so quickly.

About Bios Failure I have had those since day 1. Never tried to overclock so If you did not have those issues before using my bios settings or config.plist you could make happy some people if you be able to fix that bloody issue.
I'm pretty sure I've had the issue always. It only happens when I boot OpenCore from inside the BIOS menus. If I let OpenCore boot normally, it's fine. But if I go into the BIOS then "Exit without saving", or hit enter on the EFI entry in the Bios Override menu, then I get the failures. But I think only when I have overclock settings applied.

It's not a huge deal because we just need to remember not to load OpenCore directly from the BIOS. If you go into the BIOS for any reason, either press F10 to force a save and reboot, or else just hit the reset or power button. Then let OpenCore boot directly, without going back into the BIOS, and it should be fine.

If I recall correctly Gogeta commented some option in OpenCore 0.6.2 to fix those issue that I have not been able to fix or check because I am far from home and still will be.
I think this option is only available in OC 0.6.2 ... I cannot confirm. I guess our option should be to put it YES lol
  • DisableRtcChecksum: NO
    • Prevents AppleRTC from writing to primary checksum (0x58-0x59), required for users who either receive BIOS reset or are sent into Safe mode after reboot/shutdown
OK, thanks, that's interesting, I will try it out. I'm currently only using Windows as I'm working on my overclocking. Once I have a stable OC at the highest possible speed I will be confirming it works also in macOS and then I'll see if I can sort out the BIOS reset issue.

Thanks for the info!

Hi, since two weeks ago I upgraded from Mojave directly to Catalina 10.15.7 I have a really frustrating problem.

With every reboot my background disappears and stays black. Changing wallpaper in System Preferences has no effect.

Hardware:
- GB X299 UD4 Pro
- RX 5700 XT with 2 monitors: a 1440p monitor connected to the Displayport and a 1080p monitor connected to the HDMI.
SMBIOS: ImacPro1,1 up to yesterday, now MacPro7,1.

I tried to:
- Using "Killall Dock" on the Terminal solves the problem only until the next reboot;
- Select and deselect "Displays have separate spaces" by logging out each time, solves the problem only until the next reboot;
- delete the "desktoppicture.db" file in User/Library/Application Support/Dock, reboot, set the wallpaper, reboot and the wallpaper disappears.
This problem appears 90% of the time and only on the primary monitor.

Another problem is that two icons of my HDs (the ones circled in red in the photo) positioned on the left side of the monitor, in a column with other icons of other HDs and SSDs, are often repositioned on the right side of the monitor, as if their position was reset.
This problem appears 60% of the time.
HD desktop.png

Anyone else with similar problems?

Last edited:
Hi, since two weeks ago I upgraded from Mojave directly to Catalina 10.15.7 I have a really frustrating problem.

With every reboot my background disappears and stays black. Changing wallpaper in System Preferences has no effect.

Hardware:
- GB X299 UD4 Pro
- RX 5700 XT with 2 monitors: a 1440p monitor connected to the Displayport and a 1080p monitor connected to the HDMI.
SMBIOS: ImacPro1,1 up to yesterday, now MacPro7,1.

I tried to:
- Using "Killall Dock" on the Terminal solves the problem only until the next reboot;
- Select and deselect "Displays have separate spaces" by logging out each time, solves the problem only until the next reboot;
- delete the "desktoppicture.db" file in User/Library/Application Support/Dock, reboot, set the wallpaper, reboot and the wallpaper disappears.
This problem appears 90% of the time and only on the primary monitor.

Another problem is that two icons of my HDs (the ones circled in red in the photo) positioned on the left side of the monitor, in a column with other icons of other HDs and SSDs, are often repositioned on the right side of the monitor, as if their position was reset.
This problem appears 60% of the time.
View attachment 493654

Anyone else with similar problems?

Nop.
Did you try to backup and erase /Users/YourUser/Library/Preferences/com.apple.dock.plist and com.apple.finder.plist?

Try to replicate the same issue with another new User so you know if it¡s the system or your user.

Also delete /Users/YourUser/Library/Saved Application State/com.apple.finder.savedState for the posible Finder Icons Issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back