Contribute
Register

Gigabyte X299X - Catalina Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Gogeta-Blue

Well, it's been a bit of time, but I thought I would ask about your Gigabyte X299X Aorus Master: Have you had any progress/improvement with the board?

I ask because I'm considering buying it, and wondered if the F3d bios has made any improvements? Or have you just given up on this board?

I've seen some EFIs listed on this board that claim to work well on this board, but I thought I'd ask just in case you have more thoughts on this board.

@Gogeta-Blue

Well, it's been a bit of time, but I thought I would ask about your Gigabyte X299X Aorus Master: Have you had any progress/improvement with the board?

I ask because I'm considering buying it, and wondered if the F3d bios has made any improvements? Or have you just given up on this board?

I've seen some EFIs listed on this board that claim to work well on this board, but I thought I'd ask just in case you have more thoughts on this board.
hi sorry for the super late reply
when i ordered my x299x i also ordered an aorus 5700xt to be able to run mac os
i never been a fan of AMD but i did it just to be able to run mac os
because i really like mac os
but after the problem with the board i sold the card
because i honestly didn't had any use for it
since i don't have a compatible card with mac os i haven't tried installing mac os anymore on that board

why i decided to do was wait a little longer for clover or open core to update their bootloaders
maybe they will add something that will add support for that board

since there is no way to get a aorus 3090 master for now
i decided to buy an old cheap nvidia 780 which is compatible with mac os

once the card arrives, i will try again but i think big sur will be release any time soon this month

i was about to exchange my board for the aorus master x299 which it looks almost identical to the x299x
but i didn't

once the 780 arrives i will try again with the lastest version of clover or open core and post the results

the last time i tried i had some progress but i only got up to the 5700xt black screen
almost about to load the installer, i tried
debug=0x100 agdpmod=pikera

also tried this
"if you have a black screen after volume selection, make sure ProvideConsoleGOP is set to true"

with and without whatever green kext none of that worked

i think i will have better chance now with the nvidia 780
because the 780 doesn't have the black screen problem the 5700 xt has
the 780 card should arrive this week coming up

Thanks for the reply; wasn't late at all, not by my standards.....

I have a Radeon 7, which with the exception of the Vega 56 and 64, is one of the most compatible AMD cards out there, and it does work well, even with all the stuff I'm running. The 5xxx AMD cards, well, I read and hear a lot of folks having lots of issue with them, even though they are supposed to be compatible at least with Catalina.

I have a X299 Asus board that works okay. But I am very sick of Asus's idiosyncracies and bugs in their bios. For example, when I reboot, often the screen will flash very quickly as if it's going to load the bios, then it goes off into never - never land and doesn't load at all. This happens often after I reboot from the Mac side. A hard reset (pressing the reset button and holding for a count of 3 - 5) or cold boot fixes it. But that's one example - there are other oddities which I'm really tired of.

However, I run Catalina, Big Sur Beta (9), Mojave, Windows 10 and Ubuntu, and once loaded, they run fine. So, it sounds like a trade-off if I were to pursue the X299X Aorus Master. More like trading one set of problems for another set of problems....oh well.

Thanks again for the reply.

Last edited:
hi sorry for the super late reply
when i ordered my x299x i also ordered an aorus 5700xt to be able to run mac os
i never been a fan of AMD but i did it just to be able to run mac os
because i really like mac os
but after the problem with the board i sold the card
because i honestly didn't had any use for it
since i don't have a compatible card with mac os i haven't tried installing mac os anymore on that board

why i decided to do was wait a little longer for clover or open core to update their bootloaders
maybe they will add something that will add support for that board

since there is no way to get a aorus 3090 master for now
i decided to buy an old cheap nvidia 780 which is compatible with mac os

once the card arrives, i will try again but i think big sur will be release any time soon this month

i was about to exchange my board for the aorus master x299 which it looks almost identical to the x299x
but i didn't

once the 780 arrives i will try again with the lastest version of clover or open core and post the results

the last time i tried i had some progress but i only got up to the 5700xt black screen
almost about to load the installer, i tried
debug=0x100 agdpmod=pikera

also tried this
"if you have a black screen after volume selection, make sure ProvideConsoleGOP is set to true"

with and without whatever green kext none of that worked

i think i will have better chance now with the nvidia 780
because the 780 doesn't have the black screen problem the 5700 xt has
the 780 card should arrive this week coming up
The files in this post https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/gigabyte-x299x-catalina-support.288625/post-2167926 are working just fine on 3 of my machines. Need a little clean up but it runs. When using it reset NVRAM after every reboot while installing. When all set up and running you don't need to do that again. OpenCore runs just fine. These files are for 18 core. So adjust TC file according you CPU.

The files in this post https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/gigabyte-x299x-catalina-support.288625/post-2167926 are working just fine on 3 of my machines. Need a little clean up but it runs. When using it reset NVRAM after every reboot while installing. When all set up and running you don't need to do that again. OpenCore runs just fine. These files are for 18 core. So adjust TC file according you CPU.

First of all, thanks for the reply. I saw your previous post and studied it, and I have a question. Actually, two questions.

The first is do you actually use this EFI on an X299X Aorus Master? You don't list an X299X Aorus Master in your list of systems, so I'm just wondering if you've ever used it on the specific motherboard I'm asking about.

The second is that the line: rtcfx_exclude=00-FF seems a bit broad. I guess it might work, but I'm curious if you've ever narrowed that range down?

First of all, thanks for the reply. I saw your previous post and studied it, and I have a question. Actually, two questions.

The first is do you actually use this EFI on an X299X Aorus Master? You don't list an X299X Aorus Master in your list of systems, so I'm just wondering if you've ever used it on the specific motherboard I'm asking about.

The second is that the line: rtcfx_exclude=00-FF seems a bit broad. I guess it might work, but I'm curious if you've ever narrowed that range down?
Hi, Yes sorry my sig changes too often so a bit lazy to adjust it every time. But yes the BIOS profile can be used on X299X Aurus Master with BIOS F3d. And the EFI folder too. Also this: "rtcfx_exclude=00-FF" can be removed as I have RTCfix enabled in OpenCore same config file. The rtcfx_exclude=00-FF was just for testing to see where the part was to reset BIOS. And as without it and the BIOS profile used I did not have one time a BIOS error nor failure.

I have used this with 3 machines same board same CPU and they all work fine. It is important that when you have OSX running and all work is done to reset NVRAM from OpenCore once and then select in OSX system-prefs the OSX boot disk for booting. It will be stored in NVRAM and stay's there next time and so on. Only once and then just use your machine.

Good luck.

i have an 18 core
9980xe
i wasn't going to sale my 9980xe to buy the 10980xe
after i paid 2,000 for it
i know the 10980xe has some new improvements

4 more pci-lanes
doble the ram capacity
faster ram support
higher turbo boost clock
etc

but honestly i didn't want my computer to lose 1,000 in value
just for switching the CPU
so i decided to stay with my cpu

thank you for the files, at least the other member who made the question can use your files
because honestly i'm not going to install mac os for now
maybe later some other time

regards

Do your 3 machines properly sleep and wake up, @Edkroket ?

Do your 3 machines properly sleep and wake up, @Edkroket ?
These Machines are used for hard working, so sleep is never tested. I don't know as I disable computer sleep always on multi-cores. Sorry!

I guess I can't overclock making the system unstable to log in or it might be one configuration mess everything
running 0.61 open core
Sorry to hear you're having issues overclocking.

Is anyone else overclocking their system? I'm just bought the Designare 10G + 10980XE and definitely hope to overclock if I can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back