Contribute
Register

Gigabyte X299X - Catalina Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
I, like yourself, just enabled XMP.

Can you post your EFI folder so that I compare it with mine? Mine never went to sleep; the display goes dark but I see lights on the GPU and on the motherboard, and the fans spin. None of which happens in the proper sleep state.
It also might be a BIOS setting.

The restore you did likely brought back the kexts that you did not have before restoring. If you were to do it again, i.e. from a fresh install, you could've restored it *without* System folder but then some of your plugins and apps would not work.

@teosoft what did you do to make it run at 3200? Just enable XMP profile? If so, that literally does nothing on my end. Show 2133mhz regardless.

So on my end, I restored an actual Mac backup from my 2013 mac pro. That's what is running on my opencore disk.

Regarding sleep, I just went to make it sleep via the apple logo>sleep and it slept fine. However, I didn't hear the computer hardware actually sleep, so i'm not sure if it's actually sleeping or not. Otherwise, my hardware seems to stay on like yours as well.

With all this said, sleep did work properly, along with my ram speeds weeks before I did the restore. Perhaps if wasn't using this restore, both would work fine again. It is not something i'm willing to do though as I have way too much data and software plugins (6 years worth) i'm not willing to reinstall.

Last edited:
Hey, @teosoft!
I did not have the time to write for the last couple of weeks. Sorry for that. My system is really sleeping. It takes a while till everything shuts down, but it does. Wakeup by pressing the power button or a key on the keyboard works: the fans start to spin and LEDs light up. But the screen stays black and it seems that I get a kernel panic at that moment. Unfortunately, I can't find a real log with information on what's causing the crash.

I read in Big Sur threads lot of people saying that it fixed sleep issues without doing nothing. Let's hope Big Sur fixes this random behaviors. I cannot test it as still I am very far away from my hackintosh and since we got the bloody Bios Failure I cannot reboot it.

Hi all

I'm shortly going to be buying my first new PC in 10 years. I've saved up some cash to get a pretty decent system, hopefully to last the next 10 years.

I first thought about AMD Threadripper, but then I learned that there are compatibility issues with various apps, requiring special patches. I really don't want the hassle of maybe finding a key app won't work, or having to wait before I can update an app until someone has worked out the right patch. So I'm going to stick with Intel.

I'm looking at Intel 10980XE, 128GB RAM (3200 or 3600, 4x32GB) on the Gigabyte X299X Designare 10G. I particularly want Thunderbolt 3, and the dual 10GBe will be useful too once I switch over my network to copper 10Gbe (currently I'm using Intel X520 10GBe NICs on fibre). Iniitally I'll run it with my existing AMD Vega 64 8GB GPU, but later hope to get one of the new Big Navi cards when they're out and supported by macOS.

Before I spend a boat load of cash I just wanted to check that you owners would generally recommend this motherboard? I've read the first post and most of the last 10 pages. Seems that people generally have things working pretty well? I know that I'll probably need to flash the Thunderbolt firmware to get fully working TB3, and I'm willing to do that. I already have a Raspberry Pi, so I'd just need to order the ROM flasher stuff.

It'd be good to hear from someone who has this motherboard in their Hack to confirm whether you'd buy this motherboard again if you were in my position?

Thanks in advance

Wise choice going intel. Sounds like a beast system man. I'm running the 10980xe also. I cannot speak for 10gbe, but my ethernet ports work fine and I get close to full 1 Gigabit Internet speed. Couple months ago, I couldn't put together a computer. Now it's hackintoshed on top. My point is, if I can do it, you definitely can lol. Personally, I'd definitely would buy this motherboard again. I, like yourself, needed thunderbolt 3 as well. Believe it or not, I have not flashed firmware yet. I enabled thunderbolt boot support, and so far it seems to doing what I needed so i'm holding off on that for the time being. But a x299x 10G hackintosh is a 2019 mac pro equivalent, only at half the price :clap:. It's VERY satisfying going to apple's website and seeing them ask for $10K and knowing I did it for $5K. Lots of helpful guys here as you can see. Collectively, we'll try to help you get it running.

Great, thanks very much for the feedback! Glad to hear it's going well for you.

That's very interesting about using non-flashed TB3. I wasn't 100% sure if I needed to flash or not. I've read that it's definitely required if you want to use the TB3 'networking'? For example, connecting to a Mac with TB3 for file copying and so on? But I won't have any other machines with TB3 so I definitely won't be doing that. To be honest I don't even have any Thunderbolt peripherals yet. But I want the option to get them in future, for example there's a 4K HDMI capture device that uses TB3, and maybe in the future I'll upgrade my audio interface to one that uses TB3. That's the sort of thing I'd use it for.

I'll need to decide whether to just flash anyway or to try it without. On the one hand, the best time to flash will be when I first get the motherboard, before it's all assembled. Otherwise I'd have a major disassembly job to do later. On the other hand, if I maybe don't need to flash at all..

I'll have to see how I feel when I've got it in my hands - and how impatient I am to get going! Thanks again for the feedback.

Has anyone here tried to use TB3 for graphic card output? I know the Designare motherboard has two DisplayPort In ports, which I understand can take input from a graphics card, and then allow connecting monitors via Thunderbolt 3.

I assume that works fine in Windows, but I'm wondering if anyone has tried it in macOS?

EDIT : talked too soon, multiboot isn't working properly with windows... working to edit the ACPI so opencore passes them straight to windows.

Hello guys,

I’m new to this thread, but after reading almost all the posts, here is my contribution based on all your work with opencore 6.1, with Centos 7 and windows 10 on separate hard drives and opencanopy up and running. I have not seen any bios reset for a while, but I wouldn’t say it’s gone though…

About the boot problem, In the new config.plist of opencore 6.1 there is a new quirk under Kernel/Quirks called “DisableRtcChecksum” which is probably helping, but again let's wait to see if it solves it...

Documentation says about this quirk: “Prevents AppleRTC from writing to primary checksum (0x58-0x59), required for users who either receive BIOS reset or are sent into Safe mode after reboot/shutdown".

Hardware :
  • Gigabyte Designare 10G (obviously )
  • Internal intel wifi/Bluetooth controller changed to internal fenvi broadcom
  • Intel i9 10940X
  • 64GB of ram 3200mhz
  • Radeon 5700XT Sapphire
  • Blackmagic mini monitor 4k (internal)
  • Blackmagic Ultrastudio express (thunderbolt for testing)
  • ATTO FC 16GB
  • Samsung 970 pro 1To M.2 for MacOs
  • 2 SATA SSD Sandisk 512Go for windows and centos
Software :
  • Opencore 6.1
  • Bios version : F3b
  • MacOS Catalina 10.15.6
  • Windows 10
  • Centos 7.7
BIOS settings : very basic, very close to the one @dolgarrenan originally posted, I will post my settings if anyone wants it.

Just try to reset CMOS and NVRAM when you have troubles (USB for example disappeared when I was doing some tests and came back after CMOS reset)

I did a mix of the EFI from @teosoft and @dolgarrenan with some adjustment based on the opencore documentation but i'm sure it could be better/lighter.

What works (tested) :

- Multiboot : Just remove the drives in bios to prevent booting and let opencore manage them by following this guide.

- OpenCanopy : my canopy is reduced to the minimum... I have nothing else than MacOS, Windows, CentOS so watch out if using my EFI as i posted it. you maybe need to tweak upon multiboot guide above. I disabled Windows and CentOS in EFI but left it there so you can just change the "Path" if you want to your own and activate it. If you want to have "reset nvram" and all other options just turn Misc/Boot/HideAuxiliary to "false".

- Thunderbolt : (not patched… yet) HotPlug works for hard drives, but Blackmagic external card is recognized only on cold boot and then I can unplug and replug it and it's recognized.

- Ethernet 10G : apply the modified kext with hackintool, but disable CSR in revovery mode when you do so or it won’t be installed. (not signed obviously) see screenshot at the end of post, writing seems bad but i thinks it's just because of the server side, reading is quite good though.

- Bluetooth/wifi.

- Hardware acceleration.

- ATTO Fiber chanel 16GB (for those interested…)

What needs to be tested :

- Sound (IN/OUT)…I just use Blackmagic but I can try if some wants to, I don’t see why that wouldn’t work as the card is recognized thanks to your previous work guys.

- external GPU, I have a vega 64 that i can plug next week for thoses interested but i still doubt about why would someone plug an external GPU on that creature.

here are some screenshots and EFI at the end. thanks to everyone for helping in this thread. it seems to be a very good MB for hackintosh.

What doesn't work :

- Sleep just switch off screen and puts macos to sleep but not the hardware.

Capture d’écran 2020-10-01 à 13.08.22.png

Capture d’écran 2020-10-01 à 13.09.18.png

Capture d’écran 2020-10-01 à 13.06.48.png

Capture d’écran 2020-10-01 à 13.07.58.png

Attachments

• EFI-201002.zip
    60.3 MB · Views: 158
Last edited:
Have you tried to remove fenvi card and see if sleep works? Sometimes Fenvi card could be at fault for sleep issues.

Hello guys,

I’m new to this thread, but after reading almost all the posts, here is my contribution based on all your work with opencore 6.1, with Centos 7 and windows 10 on separate hard drives and opencanopy up and running. I have not seen any bios reset for a while, but I wouldn’t say it’s gone though…

About the boot problem, In the new config.plist of opencore 6.1 there is a new quirk under Kernel/Quirks called “DisableRtcChecksum” which is probably helping, but again let's wait to see if it solves it...

Documentation says about this quirk: “Prevents AppleRTC from writing to primary checksum (0x58-0x59), required for users who either receive BIOS reset or are sent into Safe mode after reboot/shutdown".

@oreoapple no, i didn’t but i don’t really need sleep. This computer is just for grading films.

Hmm..

what hardware and which EFI did you use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back