Contribute
Register

Gigabyte X299X - Catalina Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would not try others M.2 drives then Samsung as they are in every Mac and will work with OSX.
i always used samsung in the past
960 pro
970 pro

but this time i went with pci-e 4.0 and since i was building an aorus system

i also wanted the drives to be aorus

i know my board is only pci-e 3.0
but i get a bit faster writing speed by using pci-e 4.0 instead of pci-e 3.0

i think the 970 pro was only 2.2 writing speed

which in most cases might drop down to just 2 gbps

but by using a 4.0 drive on a 3.0 board, i get 3.5 in writing speed, it seems like 3.5 is the max, the pci-e 3.0 4x can handle

the good thing is that now my reading speed and my writing speed

both are at 3.5

instead of 3.5 and 2.2

the down side might be that my drive might not be supported on mac os

i had that idea on the back of my head when i ordered those drives

i will find out soon enough
if the drivers are compatible with mac or not

this was the last time i was running mac os until mr cook decided to ruin everything

Last edited:
Thank you! I'll try to 10900X and report back.

IOCPUNumber should be 19 since I'm using 9820X is correctly. RTCMemoryFixup you don't need but I have stripped all the unnecessary stuf and enabled portlimitpatch so you can create your own USB-SSDT.aml
With the BIOS settings of my previous post and this EFI you should be able to boot.
Good luck!

I'm on OC 0.6.0 and did not create my own SSDTs and using the OP ones, for now.

My sound works fine over BT. It's the analog output and HDMI I'm having problems with.

I temporarily solved the HDMI problem by installing RX 580 along with RX 5700 XT and plugging the HDMI TV in RX 580.
I'm curious if there are people for whom RX 5700 XT HDMI sound works as expected. It might be a problem with Apple drivers, or something I didn't do right.

I did get Thunderbolt working. I programmed the firmware per OP instructions using RPi 3B-based programmer.

I don't have many TB devices. I've found that the classic TB2 Apple Gigabit Ethernet adapter works, connected via Apple's TB2 <-> TB3 adapter.

I've just copied files from a 13" MBP booted in Target Disk Mode, to my Hack while writing this. That worked for a 6.7GB directory, uneventfully.

On the other hand, connecting a TB3 Belkin dock shows the device in System Information but nothing from the dock itself shows up.

I wish I could check a TB3 drive and somehow enable external display over TB3 but I have neither TB3 drive nor TB display.

As for USB, I only have a couple of ports on my case, haven't noticed any problems yet. Will keep an eye on it.
I use Intel BT driver, and I definitely need an external antenna to have a reliable connectivity for my BT devices. The antenna that comes with the motherboard works just fine for me.

I use Apple keyboards and mice and trackpads via Bluetooth and only connect my Logitech keyboard/touchpad combo to deal with BIOS, because the BT ones don't work in BIOS. I'm sure someone somewhere is working on UEFI driver for them. I'd love to know.

For USB keyboard/mouse receivers, sometimes I have a bad interference for my Logitech receiver and I then connect it using Apple USB2 extender cable, which fixes the problem. Naturally it does not have to be Apple USB2 extender.

@Dogman no, i am still using 0.5.9. i will post my bios settings a little later today for you guys. Standard settings though. I didn't do anything special. Could the different monitors we use have anything to do with it? I'm using a crg9.I did notice it is slow to show on the display upon wake but it seems to work fine.

@teosoft not sure if this helps, but check the efi i posted previously and test with the boot arguments I shared. Sound works for me, but only tested via bluetooth headphones as I don't have my thunderbolt audio interface working yet.

This leads me to my next question:

@teosoft @Dogman how did you guys get thunderbolt working? I tried connecting with my audio interface and external hard drives and it wouldn't ever be detected, though i was using a thunderbolt 2 to thunderbolt 3 adapter. Is modifying the motherboard as the OP did necessary to get thunderbolt working or do i just need certain files/kexts in my efi? Please note i'm using pre-built ssdt's.

Lastly, are either of you experiencing an issue where if all usb ports are full, certain things stop responding? For example, with my mouse and keyboard usb receivers in the computer ports, along with USB flash drives, my mouse or keyboard stops responding. They seem to work better if i relocate the placement of the USB drives/receivers. This concerns/puzzles me.

10900X works great! Thank you very much!

IOCPUNumber should be 19 since I'm using 9820X is correctly. RTCMemoryFixup you don't need but I have stripped all the unnecessary stuf and enabled portlimitpatch so you can create your own USB-SSDT.aml
With the BIOS settings of my previous post and this EFI you should be able to boot.
Good luck!

i always used samsung in the past
960 pro
970 pro

but this time i went with pci-e 4.0 and since i was building an aorus system

i also wanted the drives to be aorus

i know my board is only pci-e 3.0
but i get a bit faster writing speed by using pci-e 4.0 instead of pci-e 3.0

i think the 970 pro was only 2.2 writing speed

which in most cases might drop down to just 2 gbps

but by using a 4.0 drive on a 3.0 board, i get 3.5 in writing speed, it seems like 3.5 is the max, the pci-e 3.0 4x can handle

the good thing is that now my reading speed and my writing speed

both are at 3.5

instead of 3.5 and 2.2

the down side might be that my drive might not be supported on mac os

i had that idea on the back of my head when i ordered those drives

i will find out soon enough
if the drivers are compatible with mac or not

this was the last time i was running mac os until mr cook decided to ruin everything
Interesting
What is the brand and model of your PCIe 4 M.2 drives ?
EDIT
is it this one ? :

Interesting
What is the brand and model of your PCIe 4 M.2 drives ?
EDIT
is it this one ? :
yes but the 1tb version
i have 4 of of them installed on an aorus card
i also have another aorus card and i was planing on buying 4 more m2 drives

the video i uploaded, i was using 8 samsung 970 pro in raid0 with 2 rocketraid 7102 cards

that was the last time i had my hackintosh running, then mojave came out and no support for nvidia, the rest is history, then after almost 2 years i decided to buy an amd card just to run mac os, even if i had to switch cards to game on windows

but now after i updated to the x299x aorus master there is a new problem with the board, i honestly haven’t tried to install mac os because i been super extra busy

but i think all i need is an extra week to finish my home project, then i will try installing mac os again

a few users had reported success with the x299x aorus master

my only doubt was the drives because those drives use a new m2 controller,
i don’t remember the name but i’m not sure if the controller is support it or not in mac os

i just ask because i didn’t want to waste time, but i think once i try to install mac os, i can easily find out if the drive is support it or not

thank you

Last edited:
yes but the 1tb version
i have 4 of of them installed on an aorus card
i also have another aorus card and i was planing on buying 4 more m2 drives

the video i uploaded, i was using 8 samsung 970 pro in raid0 with 2 rocketraid 7102 cards

that was the last time i had my hackintosh running, then mojave came out and no support for nvidia, the rest is history, then after almost 2 years i decided to buy an amd card just to run mac os, even if i had to switch cards to game on windows

but now after i updated to the x299x aorus master there is a new problem with the board, i honestly haven’t tried to install mac os because i been super extra busy

but i think all i need is an extra week to finish my home project, then i will try installing mac os again

a few users had reported success with the x299x aorus master

my only doubt was the drives because those drives use a new m2 controller,
i don’t remember the name but i’m not sure if the controller is support it or not in mac os

i just ask because i didn’t want to waste time, but i think once i try to install mac os, i can easily find out if the drive is support it or not

thank yoy
thanks for the answer

EDIT
I finally buy one
I placed it in M2 PCIe gen3 4x
Number are impressive with HFS+ format :thumbup::
capture 2020-10-01 à 14.52.57.png
capture 2020-10-01 à 14.52.03.png
As impressive as the weight of the heater :lol:

The numbers goes down to 500 MB/s with exFAT format.
Any explanation ?

Last edited:
I followed @dolgarrenan instructions on his original post, Section 6.
Disassembling the motherboard is not complicated, but you need to keep track of all screws and where they came from.
I used this magnetic pad to keep them, marking it's areas with included marker:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Q2NUXD8/?tag=tonymacx86com-20
I printed motherboard pictures from the OP to number and track screws.
Naturally you don't want to use any force as the whole pipe assembly detaches nicely after all screws are removed,
I did it without removing my huge CPU heat sink. I don't recommend this because you can't turn the board upside down and expect it to be stable.
Assembling back, you need to make sure everything is seated exactly like it was before. Otherwise it will overheat and die. I won't be responsible for any damages.

For the programmer part, first, I bought this programmer:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07SHSL9X9/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

Instructions:

I tried it on a non-essential motherboard and it worked, but, while it can provide 3.3v UCC to the BIOS chip, signals are still 5. I didn't feel like unsoldering a pin on programmer's chip and decided to take a RPi instead. I had RPi 3B already, so it was an easy decision. Mind that you still need a clip to connect to the TB firmware chip.

Here's a mini-guide on how to turn a RPi into a programmer, which I used:

Overall it was easier than I expected, but I came prepared, reading instructions and allowing enough time.
You really want to program the firmware only once... no, let me rephrase: you really want to disassemble and assemble back your board only once. Especially if it's already mounted in a case.

Good luck!

@teosoft Thank you for all that good info. Looks like I don't have a choice but to get dirty on the motherboard to get thunderbolt working. Was this a complicated process? Could you please point me to the programmer and all accessories you used so I could follow suit? I see the following: https://www.microcenter.com/product/460968/3_Model_B?src=raspberrypi

Do I need to purchase seperate cables/accessories to go with it?

Lastly, I was never able to get the OP's SSDT's to boot past the apple logo screen, yet boot works with with opencore's prebuilt SSDT's. The OP's ssdt's would load extremely slow and never complete. You think this issue is bios settings related?

I'm always happy to help. I believe the clip is available separately but the programmer comes with a number of other goodies you might find useful later.

One more advise? Try to be at your middle level of confidence :)

@teosoft Understood. I am feeling brave. Thank you for the wealth of information. I will be ordering the rpi programmer and the the programmer you iniatially purchased so I have the clip ready. Seems all should be fine long as I am organized. Will update with results once completed. Appreciated.

Did you manage to make it sleep? Mine doesn't even try :(

I have my RAM running at 3200 and I see as much on "About this Mac" and in "System Information, Memory" as well.
I'm running OpenCore 0.6.1 and I just upgraded to 10.15.7

Allright, it looks like i have everything working the way I want it. Only one odd issue:

My bios has the xmp profile enabled and shows 3600 mhz (my max ram speed), but once macOS loads, it only displays the RAM speed as 2133mhz. This is not an issue I had a couple weeks ago. Anyone know if there is something else that needs to be changed in the BIOS for it to load at max ram speed properly? No idea why it's doing this all of a sudden.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back