Register

Gigabyte X299X - Catalina Support

Motherboard
Gigabyte X299X Designare-10G
CPU
i9-10940X
Graphics
Radeon VII
I'm still having some trouble with this X299X build. I SPI programmed the TB chip with the Z390 firmware successfully and added the custom generated Z390 aml file to OC/ACPI.

It works well, only I consistently get a kernel panic -> reboot when cold booting, during loading. After this kernel panic, the system restarts and and boots successfully into macOS.

If I turn on the Apollo X4 when in macOS after a cold boot, it also freezes and restarts due to kernel panic.

So, in essence, I would argue it's working well, but it's annoying to have a to reboot every time the system is started the first time.

I've added the log files, hopefully someone has an idea.

PS: Happens on both ports. Flashing process was fine, as far as I can tell, due to checking back then, and TB information loading in System Profiler.

Attachments

• panic-2020-11-24-131149.txt
    8 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Motherboard
Gigabyte X299 UD4 PRO
CPU
I9-7920X
Graphics
RX 5700XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi, a few days ago I updated Clover to version 5126 and only now I realized that on Ioreg x86platformplugin has disappeared and also the GPU no longer has AGPM. Why?
From Intel Power Gadget, however, it seems that power management works.

Motherboard
Gigabyte X299X Designare 10G
CPU
i9-10980XE
Graphics
Vega 64
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
The usual reason for X86PlatformPlugin not working is that plugin_type=1 hasn't been set against the first CPU, which in OpenCore is done with an SSDT.

As to how that's achieved in Clover, or why it would suddenly stop working, I'm afraid I have no idea. I've been 100% OpenCore since I started with my X299 system, and I think most other users are as well.

I'd highly recommend you consider moving to OpenCore 0.6.3. It's far simpler to debug issues, and it's the future of Hackintoshing. Clover only works on Big Sur because it now incorporates parts of OpenCore.

In addition to this thread, there's also a (much more active) X299 thread here: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/x299-big-sur-support.302143/page-99

Between this thread and that one you should be able to get all the OpenCore help you need.

I'd start by following the Dortania guide for X299: https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Install-Guide/config-HEDT/skylake-x.html

If you want an EFI to reference, I uploaded one in this thread a few days back (for the Designare X299X 10G) and there's multiple EFIs for various X299 motherboards uploaded in the thread I linked above.

Last edited:
Motherboard
gigabyte x299x designare 10g
CPU
i9-7940X
Graphics
AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 8 GB
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Air
  3. MacBook Pro
  4. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
0.6.3 is working fine for me and many other people.

What problem are you having?
Do you have a Working OC EFI for Catalina and big sure you could share with me? I've been using the one in the (with updated kext) op (that works fine with a little tweaking/updating) but I'm trying to update to the latest 0.6.3 and I can boot all but my clover EFI works flawlessly (minus the downsides clover bring). I have the same MB X299X GB 10G with the 5700XT. I tried your TheBloke.OpenCore.0.6.3-DEBUG.EFI.17112020, but I can't get to the Big Sur install screen. It loads everything up (verbose degug) then black screen then shut down. I'm just trying to migrate clover to OC on Catalina first, then move to getting a fully functional Big Sur... I also have your been using your bios version FC3macOSAuto. Im not a newbie at this at all its' just OC the new to me and I've stayed up the last 3 days until 5am just to get OC to work with the least 0.6.3.
Thanks in advanced bro for any help, I appreciate it fr.

Last edited:
Motherboard
CPU
i9-10980XE
Graphics
Vega 64
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Do you have a Working OC EFI for Catalina and big sure you could share with me? I've been using the one in the (with updated kext) op (that works fine with a little tweaking/updating) but I'm trying to update to the latest 0.6.3 and I can boot all but my clover EFI works flawlessly (minus the downsides clover bring). I have the same MB X299X GB 10G with the 5700XT. I tried your TheBloke.OpenCore.0.6.3-DEBUG.EFI.17112020, but I can't get to the Big Sur install screen. It loads everything up (verbose degug) then black screen then shut down. I'm just trying to migrate clover to OC on Catalina first, then move to getting a fully functional Big Sur... I also have your been using your bios version FC3macOSAuto. Im not a newbie at this at all its' just OC the new to me and I've stayed up the last 3 days until 5am just to get OC to work with the least 0.6.3.
Thanks in advanced bro for any help, I appreciate it fr.
As per reply in other thread: try agdpmod=pikera boot-arg.

Motherboard
CPU
i9-7940X
Graphics
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Air
  3. MacBook Pro
  4. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    73.6 MB · Views: 11
Motherboard
CPU
i9-10980XE
Graphics
Vega 64
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
No, you add it to boot-args. Remove the new agdpmod key you added which does nothing, and edit boot-args like this:

Code:
<key>boot-args</key>
<string>-v keepsyms=1 darkwake=0 swd_panic=1 alcid=7 agdpmod=pikera</string>

Motherboard
CPU
i9-7940X
Graphics
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Air
  3. MacBook Pro
  4. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
No, you add it to boot-args. Remove the new agdpmod key you added which does nothing, and edit boot-args like this:

Code:
<key>boot-args</key>
lol sorry super late! I was like, smh can't believe I uploaded that lol.

Motherboard
CPU
i9-7940X
Graphics
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Air
  3. MacBook Pro
  4. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS

Code:
<key>boot-args</key>
I'm on big sur, big sir! Thank you fr

Last edited:
Motherboard
Gigabyte X299 UD4 PRO
CPU
I9-7920X
Graphics
RX 5700XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
The usual reason for X86PlatformPlugin not working is that plugin_type=1 hasn't been set against the first CPU, which in OpenCore is done with an SSDT.

As to how that's achieved in Clover, or why it would suddenly stop working, I'm afraid I have no idea. I've been 100% OpenCore since I started with my X299 system, and I think most other users are as well.
Based on this information, I solved it by adding SSDT-PLUG and removing PluginType=Yes from Clover.

I'm not interested in moving to Big Sur, and I believe I'll keep Catalina at least until the new AMD Big Navi cards are available (at a reasonable price) and fully compatible.

I have already considered upgrading to Open Core, but have postponed for now because as I understand there are no real advantages over Clover.