CPU
i9 10940x
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I think this option is only available in OC 0.6.2 ... I cannot confirm. I guess our option should be to put it YES lol
  • DisableRtcChecksum: NO
    • Prevents AppleRTC from writing to primary checksum (0x58-0x59), required for users who either receive BIOS reset or are sent into Safe mode after reboot/shutdown

Motherboard
Gigabyte X299X Designare 10G
CPU
i9-10980XE
Graphics
Vega 64
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I am so sorry for not answering and not following neither investigating and trying to fix issues with you mates.
No need to apologise! I had it fixed within a few hours and it was thanks to your BIOS config that I got it sorted so quickly.

About Bios Failure I have had those since day 1. Never tried to overclock so If you did not have those issues before using my bios settings or config.plist you could make happy some people if you be able to fix that bloody issue.
I'm pretty sure I've had the issue always. It only happens when I boot OpenCore from inside the BIOS menus. If I let OpenCore boot normally, it's fine. But if I go into the BIOS then "Exit without saving", or hit enter on the EFI entry in the Bios Override menu, then I get the failures. But I think only when I have overclock settings applied.

It's not a huge deal because we just need to remember not to load OpenCore directly from the BIOS. If you go into the BIOS for any reason, either press F10 to force a save and reboot, or else just hit the reset or power button. Then let OpenCore boot directly, without going back into the BIOS, and it should be fine.

If I recall correctly Gogeta commented some option in OpenCore 0.6.2 to fix those issue that I have not been able to fix or check because I am far from home and still will be.
I think this option is only available in OC 0.6.2 ... I cannot confirm. I guess our option should be to put it YES lol
  • DisableRtcChecksum: NO
    • Prevents AppleRTC from writing to primary checksum (0x58-0x59), required for users who either receive BIOS reset or are sent into Safe mode after reboot/shutdown
OK, thanks, that's interesting, I will try it out. I'm currently only using Windows as I'm working on my overclocking. Once I have a stable OC at the highest possible speed I will be confirming it works also in macOS and then I'll see if I can sort out the BIOS reset issue.

Thanks for the info!

Motherboard
Gigabyte X299 UD4 PRO
CPU
I9-7920X
Graphics
RX 5700XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi, since two weeks ago I upgraded from Mojave directly to Catalina 10.15.7 I have a really frustrating problem.

With every reboot my background disappears and stays black. Changing wallpaper in System Preferences has no effect.

Hardware:
- GB X299 UD4 Pro
- RX 5700 XT with 2 monitors: a 1440p monitor connected to the Displayport and a 1080p monitor connected to the HDMI.
SMBIOS: ImacPro1,1 up to yesterday, now MacPro7,1.

I tried to:
- Using "Killall Dock" on the Terminal solves the problem only until the next reboot;
- Select and deselect "Displays have separate spaces" by logging out each time, solves the problem only until the next reboot;
- delete the "desktoppicture.db" file in User/Library/Application Support/Dock, reboot, set the wallpaper, reboot and the wallpaper disappears.
This problem appears 90% of the time and only on the primary monitor.

Another problem is that two icons of my HDs (the ones circled in red in the photo) positioned on the left side of the monitor, in a column with other icons of other HDs and SSDs, are often repositioned on the right side of the monitor, as if their position was reset.
This problem appears 60% of the time.
HD desktop.png

Anyone else with similar problems?

Last edited:
Motherboard
Gigabyte x299x Designare 10G
CPU
i9 10940x
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi, since two weeks ago I upgraded from Mojave directly to Catalina 10.15.7 I have a really frustrating problem.

With every reboot my background disappears and stays black. Changing wallpaper in System Preferences has no effect.

Hardware:
- GB X299 UD4 Pro
- RX 5700 XT with 2 monitors: a 1440p monitor connected to the Displayport and a 1080p monitor connected to the HDMI.
SMBIOS: ImacPro1,1 up to yesterday, now MacPro7,1.

I tried to:
- Using "Killall Dock" on the Terminal solves the problem only until the next reboot;
- Select and deselect "Displays have separate spaces" by logging out each time, solves the problem only until the next reboot;
- delete the "desktoppicture.db" file in User/Library/Application Support/Dock, reboot, set the wallpaper, reboot and the wallpaper disappears.
This problem appears 90% of the time and only on the primary monitor.

Another problem is that two icons of my HDs (the ones circled in red in the photo) positioned on the left side of the monitor, in a column with other icons of other HDs and SSDs, are often repositioned on the right side of the monitor, as if their position was reset.
This problem appears 60% of the time.
View attachment 493654

Anyone else with similar problems?

Nop.
Did you try to backup and erase /Users/YourUser/Library/Preferences/com.apple.dock.plist and com.apple.finder.plist?

Try to replicate the same issue with another new User so you know if it¡s the system or your user.

Also delete /Users/YourUser/Library/Saved Application State/com.apple.finder.savedState for the posible Finder Icons Issue.

Motherboard
Gigabyte X299 UD4 PRO
CPU
I9-7920X
Graphics
RX 5700XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi @beltzak! Thanks for the advice, I tried but unfortunately the problems showed up after a couple of reboots.

I tried to download and install the Catalina 10.15.7 combo update, but after 3 reboots the problems returned.

At this point I tried to use OnyX and run the maintenance scripts. For now the problem of the icons of the two HDs that reposition themselves seems solved.
Unfortunately after 3/4 reboot the wallpaper went back to black. I logged out and logged in and the background reappeared for the moment. I can't understand what the cause could be, because it only happens to the primary monitor (connected to the displayport).

I hope that with the next security update 2020-001, which will surely come out soon with Big Sur, the problem will be solved.

I have another question, is it normal that the PCI Cards section in About This Mac is empty?
I currently have installed on:
Slot 1: GPU
Slot 2: empty
Slot 3: empty
Slot 4: Thunderbolt card
Slot 5: Wifi/Bt Card

Also the Memory section shows only 2 modules installed, but it correctly detects 4 and at the correct frequency.
The suggestions say to install the modules in triple channel, which may depend on the CPU detected by the OS?
Memory.png

Last edited:
Motherboard
Gigabyte x299x Designare 10G
CPU
i9 10940x
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi @beltzak! Thanks for the advice, I tried but unfortunately the problems showed up after a couple of reboots.

I tried to download and install the Catalina 10.15.7 combo update, but after 3 reboots the problems returned.

At this point I tried to use OnyX and run the maintenance scripts. For now the problem of the icons of the two HDs that reposition themselves seems solved.
Unfortunately after 3/4 reboot the wallpaper went back to black. I logged out and logged in and the background reappeared for the moment. I can't understand what the cause could be, because it only happens to the primary monitor (connected to the displayport).

I hope that with the next security update 2020-001, which will surely come out soon with Big Sur, the problem will be solved.

I have another question, is it normal that the PCI Cards section in About This Mac is empty?
I currently have installed on:
Slot 1: GPU
Slot 2: empty
Slot 3: empty
Slot 4: Thunderbolt card
Slot 5: Wifi/Bt Card

Also the Memory section shows only 2 modules installed, but it correctly detects 4 and at the correct frequency.
The suggestions say to install the modules in triple channel, which may depend on the CPU detected by the OS?
View attachment 493777
Check this post: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/gigabyte-x299x-catalina-support.288625/post-2155500

It may help you. I guess is the same issue, I am not sure but could be just cosmetic. I would not follow the memory slots installed the way Apple recommends in a hackintosh but the motherboard's manual ;)

About the black display it may be a bug of Apple and not your setup issue. You could create a LaunchDaemon, or maybe easier a script with killall Dock on startup. I know is not a nice or clean solution but if gets fixed you may not become crazy ;)

Found this:
Method 1: https://www.maketecheasier.com/use-launchd-run-scripts-on-schedule-macos/
Method 2: http://15.223.126.172/running-script-on-macos-startup/

Motherboard
Gigabyte X299 UD4 PRO
CPU
I9-7920X
Graphics
RX 5700XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
It may help you. I guess is the same issue, I am not sure but could be just cosmetic. I would not follow the memory slots installed the way Apple recommends in a hackintosh but the motherboard's manual ;)
Yes, sure! ;) It was just to see if there could be a better implementation in MacOS.
The Mac Pro 2019 uses CPUs that work in 6-channel, maybe there is a way to "tell" him that our CPU works in quad channel.
But I suspect it would only be cosmetic, and it wouldn't lead to any performance improvements.

Same thing I suppose goes for the PCI Cards section. But it is strange that it appears completely empty.
PCI card.png
I have tried the SMBIOS MacPro7,1 on the second configuration that I have, with the Z390 motherboard, and the GPU was displayed correctly on the first slot.

Out of curiosity, is there a way to see the GPU temperature and the CPU Watt consumption on Istat Menu?
I have lost a lot of information since I use VirtualSMC and now with the new MacPro7,1 SMBIOS I no longer see the consumption of the cpu.
istat.png

Motherboard
Gigabyte X299X Designare 10G
CPU
i9-10980XE
Graphics
Vega 64
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Out of curiosity, is there a way to see the GPU temperature and the CPU Watt consumption on Istat Menu?
I have lost a lot of information since I use VirtualSMC and now with the new MacPro7,1 SMBIOS I no longer see the consumption of the cpu.
I am using HWMonitorSMC2 along with Intel Power Gadget.

The latter can show useful information on its own in the form of graphs:
7sqyLEj.png

But its main use is that having it installed enables more CPU info in HWMonitorSMC2. I'm getting pretty good data on my X299X Designare 10G:
WDSgyTx.png
atGOukW.png
XRTz017.png

Motherboard
Gigabyte X299 UD4 PRO
CPU
I9-7920X
Graphics
RX 5700XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Graphically, I prefer Istat Menù rather than HWMonitor. I already use Intel Power Gadget for CPU info.
Honestly the information that I have now are more than enough for what I'm concerned.
I only miss the temperature of the RX 5700, before with the RX 590 I saw it.