Contribute
Register

Gigabyte X299 Designare Ex

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks so much @zabalex I’ve been seriously considering switching over to AMD, but GPU prices are insane right now....
If you have the time, please share your EFI, I’m sure it’ll help the community!
Did you manage to get sleep working?
What version BIOS are you using?

You welcome :)
Did you manage to get sleep working?
Yes, this works really well.
What version BIOS are you using?
F6, I think. I believe the one below the latest.

I'm attaching my entire EFI folder, please don't be surprised as some file naming are not standard, I basically customized some of my ssdt files and shorted the name.

I have everything working at this point except:
  • Tb3 or even USB3.1 is still inconsistent.
  • I'd like to get a Temp reads of my motherboard (CPU, GPU, etc)

I was chatting with CaseySJ on another thread over my Tb issues, and he started looking into my issues, hopefully will have some updated EFI for the rest of the community which is 100% complete :)

Good luck on your build,

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    2.1 MB · Views: 137
Good luck on your build,
Amazing, thank you — again!
I ended up going down an AMD rabbit hole last night, and I think I’m going to bite the bullet and get a 5700XT to start off the transition with. Just gotta figure out how the OS update process works...

Sound alike BIOS F6 is the one to stick with, then. I’ve been trying to update that one as well, but had some issues, and even went so fas as getting a custom BIOS from Gigabyte, (F7d) but that never worked either.

I had a bunch of back and forth with CaseySJ too (probably in the same thread), so look up my name in there, hope that helps. I simply couldn’t get TB hot-swap to work, but otherwise it’s been pretty consistent since his last SSDT, which I made some minor customizations to — if you’d like I can share.

For temp reads you can use the FakeSMC suite of kexts, try this link.

This GPU is a lot more expensive than the one I have, I bought my Vega 64 about a year and a half ago for like US$300, used but in a perfect condition. If I were to spend more money on it, I'd certainly go with water cooled AMD-GPU package and paired it up with 2 of those super quiet german made fans for noise considerations. ;) but that's my specific need. Today my whole rig is quieter than my macbook pro, and only occasionally Vega brakes the silence.
back and forth with CaseySJ too (probably in the same thread)
Interestingly, I tried twice in the same thread as you are, but my post was deleted for being off-topic:
1617127804526.png

and mind me adding that I was very careful at how I phrase my question and which specific Casey's words I've quoted to make it on-topic :) Well, here I'm just pouring my heart out, no reason to complain. I know it wasn't Casey who rejected me since he was surprised as much as I was when I sent him a message on X299 thread instead.
temp reads you can use the FakeSMC suite of kexts
Thank you. This is truly helpful and I'm looking forward to working on it later today. I only hope my Tb3 is resolved in whichever limited capacity it'd work, I'll accept none-100% solution. I constantly work with 30Gb+ files in and out of my Rig, and having a faster connectivity results in hours of my life saved.

Regards,

FakeSMC suite of kexts
I was comparing with the documentation on OpenCore and they recommend using VirtualSMC with the two additional kexts:
1617133017947.png

I did that and restarted, but the simple application I've found online that suppose to report the temp reading shows no data:
1617133077474.png

Do you happen to know if there's a way to read the temp without relying on some 3rd party apps? Maybe that's this app that is not working, and I'm hitting my :banghead: at the wrong problem?

I was comparing with the documentation on OpenCore and they recommend using VirtualSMC with the two additional kexts:
View attachment 513727

I did that and restarted, but the simple application I've found online that suppose to report the temp reading shows no data:
View attachment 513728

Do you happen to know if there's a way to read the temp without relying on some 3rd party apps? Maybe that's this app that is not working, and I'm hitting my :banghead: at the wrong problem?

Hi there.

Without 3rd-party apps there's only your BIOS and the Windows utility that came with your GPU.

Have you tried:

I haven't tried this myself, but it's from the author of the latest Clover boot-loaders.

:)

@zabalex Not sure about the differences and advantages of VirtualSMC vs FakeSMC (and vise-versa), but I think one is a Lilu plugin, while the other one isn't? Also one uses the macOS standard naming scheme, and the other one doesn't.
You might want to give FakeSMC3 a try.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back