I am building my first mackintosh with the following specs:

• Mobo: Gigabyte x299 Designare Ex
• CPU : intel i9 9980xe
• GPU: Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 5700 XT
• RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 5 Series 3600MHz CL16
• Disks: 2 nvme Sabrent Rocket, 2 SSD Crucial MX500 and 1 old HDD Samsung
m
• Wifi/Bluetooth: Fenvi T919

I « succeed » to install Catalina with Opencore 0.6.1.
I fixed the audio layout and I’m working on platform stabilization as I have issues.
Known issues:
- iservices not activated yet
- bluetooth not working

I am wondering if I should better go on Big Sur or continue on Catalina.
I have no particular reason to stay under Catalina but no reason to go under Big Sur... :)

Last edited:
You'll need to physically replace the wireless (WiFi + BT) card for a Broadcom card as the Intel one that comes pre-installed on the board is not compatible.

I got the BCM94360NG, and it works without a hitch.

Yep, I have the fenvi T919 for wifi/BT (BCM94360CD) but I have some interferences, I have to buy some wired antenna :)

Did you write some DSDT or SSDT for that mobo?

Oh duh, guess i skipped over that detail. yeah, an antenna will make a difference. I tried mine without one, and I could barely connect to a device, even just a couple of feet away.

I did use SSDT's. Here's my EFI folder, but YMMV since I'm on 10.13.6 & using NVIDIA GPUs

Attachments

• EFI_Designare-EX.zip
    19.8 MB · Views: 185
Here's what i've gathered, to the best of my abilities:

DTPG – honestly, no idea. I think that's just a standard file that everyone needs to have in order of ACPI patches to work

USBX – for power errors during boot. More info
EC-USBX – for power delivery to high-powered devices.
TbtOnPch-Designare-X299-EX – for enabling thunderbolt ports. More info
ANS – cosmetic fix for NVMe controller (I think for properly displaying information in system report, or IOReg)
HDEF I Audio. Apple ALC Implementation?
Nvidia_GVF – I think this is also just a custom cosmetic fix I made
PMCR – On-board PMC controller PCI implementation
SAT1 – AHCI Sata.... but I think the controller needs device paths to be updated
TB3HP – KGP's x299 Thunderbolt 3 HotPlug Patch..... Which I just realized should probably be removed!

You can find more info on most of these on @kgp GitHub, or this post by @CaseySJ , or OpenCore's ACPI samples page

Hope this helps, and if you manage to sort it out on your end, I'd love to try it out myself. This is my first Hack, and my machine still needs tons of work

@gabevf ahhhh man really thx.

"TbtOnPch-Designare-X299-EX – for enabling thunderbolt ports." I was looking at your link. It seems to be for alpine ridge controllers not for onboard TB3
"TB3HP – KGP's x299 Thunderbolt 3 HotPlug Patch..... Which I just realized should probably be removed!" Why should you remove it?

I got my external antenna and the fenvi is really bad... I have bluetooth cover but wifi is a pain :(

@gabevf ahhhh man really thx.

"TbtOnPch-Designare-X299-EX – for enabling thunderbolt ports." I was looking at your link. It seems to be for alpine ridge controllers not for onboard TB3
"TB3HP – KGP's x299 Thunderbolt 3 HotPlug Patch..... Which I just realized should probably be removed!" Why should you remove it?

I got my external antenna and the fenvi is really bad... I have bluetooth cover but wifi is a pain :(

TbtOnPch-Designare-X299-EX is meant to work for the onboard (Alpine Ridge) TB3 controller. Hot Plug doesn't work for me, otherwise its enough for my needs. TB3HP never did anything for me - I think it was meant for Asus boards?

My antenna works well enough, though might be good to get a replacement, honestly.

wer eyou able to get up and running with Open Core?

The onboard x299 Designare Ex TB3 is alpine ridge?
I thought it was an external PCIE card.
I’m using my Opencore hack since one month. I have set only the basics but everything I need is working :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back