Contribute
Register

Gigabyte UEFI BIOS + StarTech Firewire PCIe card - Sleep / Wake / Shutdown / Restart Issues thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ha! that's exactly what I'm doing every time I switch the damn thing off..
but on the other hand everything is working fine so let's say, for the money I would have spent on a real Mac Pro I'd rather crawl under the desk continuously.
It would be interesting to see if anyone finds a solution to this issue without having to go through too much trouble.
;)

anyone out there tried the Startech card on a non Gigabyte machine? would it work?

Hello everyone :) I am from Denmark, so please excuse my English. I installed mountain lion on a friends customac (z77 ds3h) intel core i7 and I haven´t been able to make this computer shut down with the Startech card. Recently I updated his bios (there is an new one in there with compatibility for a number of pci cards (I think) that did not help though :( as a result of some random mad thought, I decided to bring the ssd drive with mountain lion, from my OWN machine (GA-Z77X-UP5 TH intel I7) and to my surprise (after having fiddled around with some kernel flags, to even make the machine boot) I COULD SHUT IT DOWN !! so I don´t know if this is a combination of the bios update and some different extensions/settings what ever, in my system or maybe only the latter (it seems to me that it has nothing to do with the bios but maybe the way osx, communicates with this card) I don´t know but now I will try and make it work on his system drive - I´ll let you know if I find out something or anything. Btw thank god, tonymac and macman !!!!

A

Updates: faults alarm, if nothing is plugged in to the Firewire ports after a fresh install, the computer will not have the reboot problem. But the FW card was used the problem will persist. Also, I would like to point out that Hot Swap doesn't work under Mac Pro system definition. It works under iMac's, or maybe Mac mini's, I haven't try mac mini's system definition

I have just installed 10.9.1 and the reboot problem has disappear.
my Hardware:

i5 3570K
GA-Z77-HD3
12GB
HD4000

I am still working on my system, will report more details a bit later.

Same problem on GA-P75-D3 board.
Mountain Lion and Mavericks, tried DSDT and DSDT-free, same behavior.

In post #82 I described a potential solution to the restart issue; after some trial and error I finally assembled a working circuit employing two miniature relays. In the last two weeks my Lian Li PC-V354B has been shut down al least 70 times and never restarted spontaneously.
Try at your own risk

Would this also fix sleep issues? Also, a year has passed, does it still fix your problem?

No, the circuit won't fix any sleep issue. Yes, still working on my Lian Li and on at least three similar rigs...

Old thread, I know, but I have this issue with a Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD3H. The weird thing is it didn't happen on El Capitan, but it happens now with a fresh installation of High Sierra.

Old thread, I know, but I have this issue with a Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD3H. The weird thing is it didn't happen on El Capitan, but it happens now with a fresh installation of High Sierra.

I Also have the same problem with a gigabyte ga-z270x-ultra gaming and Startech PCIe running High Sierra 10.13.2....
Fixshutdown configuration does not work for me.
My motherboard settings seems OK (wake on lan disabled / ERP enabled)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back