Contribute
Register

Gigabyte UEFI BIOS + StarTech Firewire PCIe card - Sleep / Wake / Shutdown / Restart Issues thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Restart_Blocker.jpg
In the next two weeks I am planning to test the above solution to the Unwanted Restart issue. If someone knows it won't work, please let me know...
Even in its Off condition, a typical ATX Power Supply has voltage present on pin 9 and pin 16. R is a 12VDC small relay with a 10A Normally Open contact, D is an 1N4007 diode. R coil closes its R contact with the PC On; when you shut off the PC, R contact opens and cuts Pin 9 (+5V Stand-By), preventing any unwanted spontaneous restart. Only drawback is the CMOS Battery life will be shortened, leading maybe to one more replacement during the Motherboard lifespan.
Try at your own risk

Hello Hello,

I am having the Same Issue with the StarTech FireWire PEX1394B3 Card and a Gigbyte GA-Z77N Wifi with the F2 BIOS Installed.. Any solution as of yet?? has anyone herd back form GigByte ..??

Thanks Again,

Colle

I'm having the same issue with an ASUS P8Z77 motherboard and the Startech Firewire

What about downgrading to old bios? What would the loss be?
Because the card would work normally right?

One solution (which is not optimal) is to set Windows as priority in chimera and have a .bat script that shuts down windows on start up.
If you use windows for other tasks, you could set a timer for 20 sec and have another batch script to cancel the log out.

There doesn't seem to be any solution to this problem, at least with my Z77X-UD5H, rev 1.1. I have tried three different Firewire 800 cards, the Startech, the Syba and an i.connect 800 card that I happened to have lying around. All three cause the same issue - no sleep(screen shuts down but fans, etc. keep running and it won't wake up), no shutdown(fans, etc. keep running after screen goes dark), though restart does seem to work. Tried just about everything I can think of, but no change. The only Firewire cards that do work and don't cause problems are some Firewire 400 cards that fit into the one PCI slot on this motherboard. Curiously enough, when I try the PCIe card(namely the Syba SD-PEX30009) in a Z77X-UP5TH, rev 1.0, the card and the computer appear to work perfectly - goes to sleep, wakes up properly, shuts down OK - not an exhaustive test by any means... but why the difference? These two Z77X boards are practically identical(same i7-3770K processor is being used in both), except for the Thunderbolt ports on the UP5TH. The bios on both boards is set up the same, and the bios on each is up to date(no beta versions, however). One has a 660ti video card, the other a 560ti, but switching the video cards back and forth did not change or fix the problem. Used the same SSD drive to boot both boards(OS X 10.8.4), so it couldn't be a software problem. This all points to the UEFI bios as being the source of the problem. But it doesn't sound like Gigabyte is about to tackle this one, even though it's pretty clear, at least to me, that something in the UEFI bios is to blame.

PS: I ordered and tried a PCI Firewire card, the Syba one that has both 400 and 800 ports, much like their PCIe card. The 400 port worked fine, so did sleep and shutdown, but the 800 ports did not. Anything connected to the 800 port wouldn't mount, and the computer would hang as well, forcing a hard restart...

This is the downside with hackintosh, the manufactures won´t fix a problem as long it's not interfering with the supported operating system

In post #82 I described a potential solution to the restart issue; after some trial and error I finally assembled a working circuit employing two miniature relays. In the last two weeks my Lian Li PC-V354B has been shut down al least 70 times and never restarted spontaneously.
Try at your own risk

Attachments

• DaBo.jpg
    DaBo.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 544
  • Restart_Issue.jpg
    Restart_Issue.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 389
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back