Contribute
Register

Gigabyte UEFI BIOS + StarTech Firewire PCIe card - Sleep / Wake / Shutdown / Restart Issues thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wanted to confirm that the Startech Firewire PCIe card caused the Shutdown problem for me on a GA-Z77N-WIFI board with F2 UEFI BIOS. I had a Syba card from an existing build based on a GA-Z68X board that I popped into the GA-Z77N and it works fine--no shutdown issues.

I put the Startech into the GA-Z68X board and it works fine there...no shutdown issues.

Hope this helps. Wish I had known about this issue before and I would have purchased the cheaper Syba card to begin with!

Ah shoot, only stumbled on this thread because I searched for "restarts instead of shutdown". Just put build together using the Z77 UD5H with the Startech card with same symptoms. F14 bios.

If the card is functional and I set the OS to never sleep is there any harm in sticking with this card?

Ah shoot, only stumbled on this thread because I searched for "restarts instead of shutdown". Just put build together using the Z77 UD5H with the Startech card with same symptoms. F14 bios.

If the card is functional and I set the OS to never sleep is there any harm in sticking with this card?

If you can RMA it, I'd send it back and get the Syba card. It's $30 cheaper and you won't have the shutdown issue.

But to answer your question: yes, you can use the card if you're prepared for the shutdown problems.

The Startech card appears in my system profile without any need to install drivers. I'm going to be using a 828mk3. Are you using the Syba with an audio interface? Success? I am thinking if the MOTU performs well with the Startech, I may just keep it and disable sleep.

Any harm in filling out a support ticket at Gigabyte? Perhaps if they have a few tickets its something they will address.

The Syba is recognized as native too...just install it and go. I'm not using firewire for audio so can't help on that--I just use Firewire for backups these days--used to use it for editing video in iMovie but all my video files are now on an internal 3TB drive.

Just plugged the MOTU into the UD5H's rear FW port on the mobo. Driver recognizes the interface and I have audio streaming. I may not need any PCIe fw card at all.

For those with the Startech card and the z77x-UDH5, the on-board FireWire chipset appears to be the VIA VT6308. Focusrite and a few others (even those that reccomend TI or Agere) list this particular 1394 solution from VIA as an option. I'm gong to put it through some tests at low buffer settings and high track counts with Logic and see how it goes. Still would be nice to have the Startech card working properly for us, as I've read such positive things about it here on tonymac, really the reason I bought the card in the first place.

I have shut down and sleep issues without this card.

I use the FW on the rear with a motu ultralitle mk3 and the motu works fine with ableton, perfectly. But I can't wake up the machine after it goes sleep, and I can't shut it down completely. I have Z77X-UD5H with F14 BIOS.

Any solution?

I am not a huge fan of sleep in general, even on native mac hardware. In my experience it has never played nice with FW audio. So I usually just disable sleep and if I'm not working, I shut it down. And if I am, I leave it on. At least then I know nothing strange goes on with communication between software, drivers, hardware, etc. But that's a topic for a different thread.

Regarding the StarTech card... what I'm seeing with the card in is a loop. I can't shut down or sleep my machine, it keeps turning back on again. If I remove the card, I am able to shut down the machine. I am also able to sleep it, but you have to go into BIOS (I'm using F14 as well) and disable "Wake from LAN".

However, when it wakes from sleep (even without the Startech card in) USB is dead. I have to unplug and replug any USB devices (including the mouse and keyboard). That's a different issue. And it has been discussed at length on the forum:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/general-help/20008-no-usb-after-sleep-need-replug-10.html

I think there is a fix, but I have been unable to locate it.

So in a nutshell... Remove the Startech card because it buggers both sleep and shutdown on our GA motherboard. Disable Wake from LAN in the BIOS. That will definitely take care of the shut down and sleep issues, I think. But the dead USB issue on wake, if you figure it out please message me.

If it's of any use, my GA-Z68XP-UD5 does this too, with the built-in (TI) Firewire. Confirmed with F6 BIOS and the beta U1h UEFI BIOS. With this beta UEFI BIOS it seems I can't even disable the Firewire to confirm, but in any case, I need my FW audio interface.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back