Graphics
GTX 560Ti
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
First, I apologize for asking what I believe is a simple question to answer. I know that there has to be information out there as well, but I did search for awhile, but with no clear answer. I apologize if I missed the answer.

My question is about running 1600MHz RAM on a UD2 board. I realize that part of the specs of the UD2 indicate that the supported RAM speeds are: DDR3 2200/1333/1066/800. However, those spec sheets aren't always complete.

So, my RAM is running at 1333MHz, and my multiplier goes to 10, not 12. I play to up my BCLK to 160 anyways, so it will work out in the end, but I want to know if there is a way to run my RAM at stock speed on this board with overclocking.

Thanks all!

No, 133 BCLK x 10 = 1333, so with an i5 750/760 you need a BCLK of 160. Only an i7 can achieve 1600Mhz with a 133 BCLK, because of the X12 memory divider option.

Jocelyn84 said:
No, 133 BCLK x 10 = 1333, so with an i5 750/760 you need a BCLK of 160. Only an i7 can achieve 1600Mhz with a 133 BCLK, because of the X12 memory divider option.

Ah. I assumed the memory multiplier was dependent on your memory, similar to the CPU multiplier.

Assuming you don't have an aftermarket cooler, the only other thing I can think of would be changing your BCLK to 160 and your CPU multiplier to 17-18 (2.72Ghz-2.88Ghz). If you do this, I'd do some light testing for stability. Feel free to ask anything else that may be on your mind.

Jocelyn84 said:
Assuming you don't have an aftermarket cooler, the only other thing I can think of would be changing your BCLK to 160 and your CPU multiplier to 17-18 (2.72Ghz-2.88Ghz). If you do this, I'd do some light testing for stability. Feel free to ask anything else that may be on your mind.

I appreciate your help/input.

I actually do have an aftermarket cooler. I've been working over the past few days on a build that I am pretty happy with. I took a dremel to my case, painted it, sleeved it, routed cables, etc. and I think the airflow is pretty good. I play to put up a thread with pictures and such to get some feedback and see what people think.

I picked up some AC5 along with the cooler, and I think that will give me the temperature drop I'm looking for. My assumption at this point is that the added cooling will offset the overclock I plan to do. I don't want to go nuts with an OC, but I've read a lot of positive things about OC'ing the 750 to 3.2GHz with no sweat at all, often times without increasing any voltages. My hope is that I can do the same with my 760. I'd like to get the max OC without having to increase any voltages or put much more stress on the CPU. I'm hoping I can achieve this by simply increasing the BCLK to 160 and calling it a day. Obviously, some stress testing will be in store, but it seems reasonable to me.

Thoughts?

Assuming you plan to do stability testing, it sounds like a good plan and I can almost guarantee you hit 3.2Ghz with lower than stock voltage.

Jocelyn84 said:
Assuming you plan to do stability testing, it sounds like a good plan and I can almost guarantee you hit 3.2Ghz with lower than stock voltage.

Since I have the 760, and my multiplier defaults at 21, do you think I should drop it to 20 in order to hit 3.2 exactly? Also, would you recommend leaving turbo on, or turning it off?

One thing I have experienced is that if I change the multiplier to anything other than the default value of 21, turbo no longer works, even if it says "enabled" in the settings.

Vendetta said:
Since I have the 760, and my multiplier defaults at 21, do you think I should drop it to 20 in order to hit 3.2 exactly? Also, would you recommend leaving turbo on, or turning it off?

One thing I have experienced is that if I change the multiplier to anything other than the default value of 21, turbo no longer works, even if it says "enabled" in the settings.

Until you plan on doing stability testing, I'd keep it at 20x160. Do you have EIST enabled or disabled? If its 21x with turbo and EIST/Speedstep off, you'll be at a fixed 22x BCLK. However, if its 21x with turbo and EIST/Speedstep enabled, your CPU will do what's known as a dynamic overclock. This means on single/dual threaded apps, 1-3 cores kinda shut off and your multi shoots up to 24x for apps only requiring two cores and 25x for apps only requiring a single core. I know it was 23x/24x for the i5 750, as I've owned one, so I'm pretty sure it would be 24x/25x for the 760. Again, you can mess around with this kinda thing, but until you're ready to run LinX, Prime95, IBT, etc., I wouldn't leave both EIST/Speedstep and turbo enabled above stock speeds. Even with a stock 133 BCLK, you'll hit 3.33Ghz on single
Testing for stability on a Dynamic overclock is really a pain too, especially with a BCLK of 160, which would put your single core speed at 4.0Ghz. When you do it, its best to check for each core individually with the programs I listed above, and its very time consuming.

Edit: Actually, its three cores = 23x two cores = 24 and one core = 25 and I think everything I posted above with EIST/Speedstep above should actually be C-states.

Jocelyn84 said:
Vendetta said:

Until you plan on doing stability testing, I'd keep it at 20x160. Do you have EIST enabled or disabled? If its 21x with turbo and EIST/Speedstep off, you'll be at a fixed 22x BCLK. However, if its 21x with turbo and EIST/Speedstep enabled, your CPU will do what's known as a dynamic overclock. This means on single/dual threaded apps, 1-3 cores kinda shut off and your multi shoots up to 24x for apps only requiring two cores and 25x for apps only requiring a single core. I know it was 23x/24x for the i5 750, as I've owned one, so I'm pretty sure it would be 24x/25x for the 760. Again, you can mess around with this kinda thing, but until you're ready to run LinX, Prime95, IBT, etc., I wouldn't leave both EIST/Speedstep and turbo enabled above stock speeds. Even with a stock 133 BCLK, you'll hit 3.33Ghz on single
Testing for stability on a Dynamic overclock is really a pain too, especially with a BCLK of 160, which would put your single core speed at 4.0Ghz. When you do it, its best to check for each core individually with the programs I listed above, and its very time consuming.

Edit: Actually, its three cores = 23x two cores = 24 and one core = 25 and I think everything I posted above with EIST/Speedstep above should actually be C-states.

You lost me on some of that, but I think I get the gist.

It sounds like the variable clock is quite a pain. Is it worth it to have turbo/speedstep enabled?

Vendetta said:
You lost me on some of that, but I think I get the gist.

It sounds like the variable clock is quite a pain. Is it worth it to have turbo/speedstep enabled?

I meant C-state and Turbo and I'd only use both if running at stock speeds. That way you're generally running at 2.93 (22x133) or 3.2 (24x133) with apps that use two cores, or 3.33 (25x133) with apps that only use a single core. If you ever want to use what I just explained with a BCLK of 160, that would mean during single threaded apps your processor would jump up (due to turbo) and run at 4.0 (25x160) automatically. If you want this, you need to do extensive stability testing for each core being able to handle this. Considering you're just looking for your memory to hit 1600Mhz, I'd disable turbo and either run 160 BCLK at 17-18, which would put your processor near stock speeds or run 160x20-21 (3.2-3.33). If you go with the later option I'd still run LinX/Prime 95 to test for stability.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back