Contribute
Register

Gigabyte P35w v2 - Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I have no idea what the issue is as it occurs in linux as well. In the mean time, 2 questions:

1) I have Realtek RTS5227 PCIE Card Reader. Can I get this to work in osx or is it just incompatible?

Probably not. There is VoodooSDHC.kext, but I think it needs a lot of work.

2) The device pci8086,8c24 is in my ioreg but is not loaded. It is the Intel Corporation 8 Series Chipset Family Thermal Management Controller. That sounds kind of important so should I add that to the dsdt? All I know is that it's here:
IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/pci8086,8c24@1F,6
but I'm not sure where to put it in the dsdt.

AFAIK, OS X doesn't have direct support for such thermal management.

Also, device TPMX doesn't appear to be loaded either. Is this device the thermal control mentioned above?

No idea. Could be something to do with "theft prevention"...

Probably not. There is VoodooSDHC.kext, but I think it needs a lot of work.

I've tried it already with my ven/dev ids in it and it didn't work. Also added my id's to AppleSDXC and that didn't work either. It looks like they quit development on VoodooSDHC

AFAIK, OS X doesn't have direct support for such thermal management.

No idea. Could be something to do with "theft prevention"...

I won't worry about them then. Hopefully I can figure out what's up with the sound. Thanks!

I've tried it already with my ven/dev ids in it and it didn't work. Also added my id's to AppleSDXC and that didn't work either. It looks like they quit development on VoodooSDHC

That's what I mean by "needs a lot of work"...

In the mean time, I've always just disabled the nvidia card in the bios but this is cumbersome. So I kept it enabled and was able to boot with nv_disable=1. I'm aware that nvidia optimus is not supported and that I should follow your guide to disable the nvidia card via _ini off method but my question is how does Apple Graphics Switching work? Is it only a software implementation or does it involve hardware as well. If it's only software, could it be used in place of optimus? Personally, I think it's better than optimus

In the mean time, I've always just disabled the nvidia card in the bios but this is cumbersome. So I kept it enabled and was able to boot with nv_disable=1. I'm aware that nvidia optimus is not supported and that I should follow your guide to disable the nvidia card via _ini off method but my question is how does Apple Graphics Switching work? Is it only a software implementation or does it involve hardware as well. If it's only software, could it be used in place of optimus? Personally, I think it's better than optimus

Apple graphics switching works great on Apple hardware.

It is not supported on hacks... PCs use different tech.

That's what I mean by "needs a lot of work"...

I found this VoodooSDHC here: http://forum.osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/5859-sd-card-reader-on-latitude-e6x106x20/

Don't know what's different about it from the ones from the voodoolabs website, but it sort of works.

It detects my realtek pci card reader properly and the kext loads, but the device doesn't appear to work. I added this to the device in the dsdt:

Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
{
If (LEqual (Arg2, Zero)) { Return (Buffer() { 0x03 } ) }
Return (Package()
{
"AAPL,slot-name", "SDXC",
"built-in", Buffer () {0x00},
"device_type", "SDXC",
"model", "Realtek RTS5227 PCIE Card Reader",
"name", "Express Card Reader",
"compatible","pci10ec,5227"
})
}

But it's just for cosmetics sake as it didn't effect the functionality of the card reader at all. This kext doesn't claim realtek device compatibility but is there any source code for this version anywhere that I could take a look at? In the last post of the official thread (http://forum.voodooprojects.org/ind...ml?PHPSESSID=3ej7oo76ugt5vbvnv5br2ep88hg33o4u) has source code but it's for an alternate version that doesn't work at all with my device.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-06-01 at 9.45.57 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-06-01 at 9.45.57 PM.png
    136 KB · Views: 98
  • Zackptg5’s MacBook Pro.ioreg
    4.7 MB · Views: 85
Also, I finally got sound working!!!!! For the most part. After seeing that the same issue was present in ubuntu, I decided to check the bug tracker on launchpad and found this: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/alsa-driver/+bug/1366241?comments=all

Part of the initial bug report included a workaround which was so simple that I'm kicking myself right now: Just alter the volume with the keyboard fn keys. Changing it with the GUI does not work on OS X or ubuntu but simply messing with the volume via keyboard does.

It's important to note though that Codec Commander is still needed for the eapd front speakers or else only the non-eapd subwoofer will work after the keyboard volume change. The default settings for Codec Commander work fine so I guess it's not D3cold problem.

Hopefully, this may help shed some light on what the issue is (I have no idea).

I found this VoodooSDHC here: http://forum.osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/5859-sd-card-reader-on-latitude-e6x106x20/

Don't know what's different about it from the ones from the voodoolabs website, but it sort of works.

It detects my realtek pci card reader properly and the kext loads, but the device doesn't appear to work. I added this to the device in the dsdt:

Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
{
If (LEqual (Arg2, Zero)) { Return (Buffer() { 0x03 } ) }
Return (Package()
{
"AAPL,slot-name", "SDXC",
"built-in", Buffer () {0x00},
"device_type", "SDXC",
"model", "Realtek RTS5227 PCIE Card Reader",
"name", "Express Card Reader",
"compatible","pci10ec,5227"
})
}

But it's just for cosmetics sake as it didn't effect the functionality of the card reader at all. This kext doesn't claim realtek device compatibility but is there any source code for this version anywhere that I could take a look at? In the last post of the official thread (http://forum.voodooprojects.org/ind...ml?PHPSESSID=3ej7oo76ugt5vbvnv5br2ep88hg33o4u) has source code but it's for an alternate version that doesn't work at all with my device.

Good luck finding source. Either way, it probably doesn't matter. You could probably start with the VoodooSDHC source that is known and work from there.

Also, I finally got sound working!!!!! For the most part. After seeing that the same issue was present in ubuntu, I decided to check the bug tracker on launchpad and found this: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/alsa-driver/+bug/1366241?comments=all

Part of the initial bug report included a workaround which was so simple that I'm kicking myself right now: Just alter the volume with the keyboard fn keys. Changing it with the GUI does not work on OS X or ubuntu but simply messing with the volume via keyboard does.

It's important to note though that Codec Commander is still needed for the eapd front speakers or else only the non-eapd subwoofer will work after the keyboard volume change. The default settings for Codec Commander work fine so I guess it's not D3cold problem.

Hopefully, this may help shed some light on what the issue is (I have no idea).

Compare node dumps before and after using your volume keys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back