Graphics
AMD HD5850 1GB
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I know back in 2009 Gigabyte motherboards were the definite choice for building a hackintosh. I'm wondering if that's still the case today in terms of building a system with ease.

I have owned and built systems on many of both. I have had each fail. Both companies gave me replacement board in a timely fashion.

The main questions are:

Can you get a DSDT for the board you want?

Is it well supported in the community?

Can you get what you need from there web site in a timely way?

Can you return it and have it replaced easily if there is an issue? (This is the first question I ask any parts supplier when buying all of my components).

Both companies are based in Taiwan though the boards are produced in China. They both stand by their products. They are both good. But one might suit you better based on your needs or where you are, and how easily you can get service.

I used to buy only ASUS and would still but now I buy Gigabyte all the time for one reason. Their website. The ASUS website has been updated recently but it was a nightmare to use until this change. We often need to get info and support from the website so make sure you like the way it is set up.

Both boards are used widely in the community but not all so do some reading, find a board you like and then make sure it is well supported in the community. The best thing would be to look at one of the builds here and see which one most closely suits your needs

viewforum.php?f=264

I run an ASUS P8Z68 Deluxe and everything works. I have no DSDT but everythign is working including sleep. Also, the Asus board come with a Realtek and an Intel LAN chip. I normally use my Intel LAN chip but many people complain of some issues when using the Realtek.

cliffg said:
I run an ASUS P8Z68 Deluxe and everything works. I have no DSDT but everythign is working including sleep. Also, the Asus board come with a Realtek and an Intel LAN chip. I normally use my Intel LAN chip but many people complain of some issues when using the Realtek.

Change "many" to "a few". There is nothing wrong with the realtek network chips. less than 1% of users on this forum have issues with them.

the ops question is a good one.
in 2009, gigabyte was the definite choice, nowadays that isnt the case.

gigabyte, asus, msi, asrock.
they all have boards using realtek or intel lan, and realtek audio.
that wasnt the case in 09, which is why gigabyte was king.

there are easy solutions to the power management issue on uefi boards, so now its just a case of do you want to do those fixes, or not.

if you dont, go gigabyte. forget the rest.
if you dont mind an extra 1 minute of work, you have a wider choice

samisnake said:
the ops question is a good one.
in 2009, gigabyte was the definite choice, nowadays that isnt the case.

gigabyte, asus, msi, asrock.
they all have boards using realtek or intel lan, and realtek audio.
that wasnt the case in 09, which is why gigabyte was king.

there are easy solutions to the power management issue on uefi boards, so now its just a case of do you want to do those fixes, or not.

if you dont, go gigabyte. forget the rest.
if you dont mind an extra 1 minute of work, you have a wider choice

Good advice from samisnake here...I've now done builds with gigabyte, Asus, and MSI. The most vanilla install was with the MSI build (link in my signature) as it requires no DSDT at all and most of the install can be done with Chameleon Wizard and Kext Wizard (with a modified BIOS, Mutibeast is only needed for the audio).

This site has made gigabyte the easiest to use because it's basically like a hackintosh for dummies book (which is a compliment to tonymacx86, BTW). You'll learn more about how your system actually works by going with an alternate choice. You can't go wrong either way...just depends on your preference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back