X5650
Graphics
R9 290
Mac
  1. MacBook
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
The title says it all, has anyone enabled Gigabyte ON-OFF charge on their hackintosh? I'm using my sig build, wondering if I could find a way to turn on this feature.

The gigabyte driver installer says it only supports windows-- but I wonder about this since the whole point is for this feature to work while Windows (the computer) is off.

So if I have a dual-boot system, can I boot into windows to install the driver, and then will on-off charge work with my machine off... without screwing up my hackintosh install?

I have the ud3r and that's exactly what I did to get the charge feature working. I use it charge my Droid x and wireless headphones and haven't had any problems in osx.

I don't have a dual boot setup yet, abut I would love to use this feature. Does anyone think it is possible to install this feature via a virtual machine?

I had the same motherboard as you (GA-X58A-UD3R). Not sure if this is considered the Gigabyte's On-off charge, but I'm still able to charge my iPod Touch when my Mac is asleep. I haven't tried it when I fully shut down my computer. I didn't install anything special besides the needed graphics and DSDT provided by tonymac.

On/Off charge doesn't simply allow you to charge your devices when the system is in standby or powered off, it actually detects what Apple device you plug in and can as such deliver up to 10W which is needed for the iPad. The Gigabyte boards will still charge devices connected to any of the USB ports as long as you don't enable EuP in the BIOS, as that will drop the standby power too low.

[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svmWiYSDXCw[/VIDEO]

thelostswede said:
On/Off charge doesn't simply allow you to charge your devices when the system is in standby or powered off, it actually detects what Apple device you plug in and can as such deliver up to 10W which is needed for the iPad. The Gigabyte boards will still charge devices connected to any of the USB ports as long as you don't enable EuP in the BIOS, as that will drop the standby power too low.

[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svmWiYSDXCw[/VIDEO]

Interesting video, thanks for the info.

I'm afraid that I can not charge the iPad even when the machine is ON. Any ideas??

VideoCruncher said:
I'm afraid that I can not charge the iPad even when the machine is ON. Any ideas??

I dont think it's going to work. My ipad will not charge with the computer on and in OS X.

So, I installed the on/off drivers via win7 and my ipad charges perfectly when the computer is on, as well as when shut down. When I boot OS X my ipad will not charge.

It seems that the software which recognizes and adjust the power flow per iDevice is attached to windows. It has been a while, but oddly when I install the drivers in win7 and shut down everything works perfectly (computer off, ipad + iphone charge). When I shut down from OS X the computer fails to charge any iDevice.

Does anyone know if there has been any progress in this area? I'm looking for whatever "driver" is necessary to allow the X58A-UD3R to charge an iPad when running OS X. I have no interest in putting Windows on my machine -- I'd rather charge the iPad from the wall and sync via WiFi with iOS 5 (which seems to be working reasonably well with beta 2).

Is this suppose to work with the latest Gigabyte Z87 boards?

I've replaced an Asus P6T-SE with a GA-Z87MX-D3H based system and seem to have lost the capability to charge my iPad via any of the USB-ports.

Is there any workaround for getting an iPad to charge while being connected to the mainboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back