Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Motherboard Revisions (1.0, 1.1, 2.0 etc...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tonymacx86

Administrator
Staff member
Motherboard
Z370N WIFI
CPU
i7 8700K
Graphics
HD 630
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Classic Mac
  1. Apple
  2. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey all- just a quickie topic to alert people that Gigabyte makes different revisions of the motherboards with minor differences in hardware at times. Wish they would just rename the product, but I guess it's par for the course.

Here's a pic of where to look on your board to see what revision it is:

GA-Motherboard-Rev.png

New versions of the Gigabyte P55A series have been updated to:

AUDIO: From Realtek ALC 888/889 to Realtek ALC 892
ETHERNET: From Realtek 8111D to Realtek 8111E

If you can avoid these chips for now, do so.

There are temporary solutions to enable audio, but not as optimally. VoodooHDA must be used for ALC 892 instead of DSDT + LegacyHDA + Vanilla AppleHDA).

Sources tell me that Gigabyte is moving toward these chips and other newer ones on a permanent basis. This is a natural evolution of the chips- and Apple will follow suit with their choices as well.

Make sure you know what motherboard you're getting before you purchase- it's possibly the most important single piece of the puzzle. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi tony,

Yeah this post is a good idea, the website of gigabyte is not up to date: in the specs of the rev 2.0 of the p55a boards they're always listed ALC888 and RTL8111D chipset, only the manuals are ok.

I just got tricked by this, too. After reading this post, I looked at the manual for the P55A--UD3 I just bought and it has both of these new chips instead of the ones that were listed on the documentation when I ordered it. It won't be as vanilla with the VoodooHDA, but at least it will still work, right?

pedigoa said:
I just got tricked by this, too. After reading this post, I looked at the manual for the P55A--UD3 I just bought and it has both of these new chips instead of the ones that were listed on the documentation when I ordered it. It won't be as vanilla with the VoodooHDA, but at least it will still work, right?

Yeah- all components are working fine- just different means of getting to the same place- actually I've been testing VoodooHDA on the H55N-USB3- version 0.2.56 works great and all ins and outs are enabled :D

but no luck for SPDIF passthrough......
do you have any recommendation for buying a USB/PCI/PCI-X sound card to passthrough the AC3/DTS?

Thanks!!

tonymacx86 said:
pedigoa said:

Yeah- all components are working fine- just different means of getting to the same place- actually I've been testing VoodooHDA on the H55N-USB3- version 0.2.56 works great and all ins and outs are enabled :D

But you can't choose the individual outputs separately, or at least that was my experience with the 889.

tonymacx86 said:
If you can avoid these chips for now, do so.
Sorry - just to confirm - try to buy Rev 1 boards?

I'm thinking of getting X58A-UD3R and I've seen that they have a Rev 1 and a Rev 2.

Rev 1 has RTL8111D
Rev 2 has RTL8111E

Both have Realtek ALC889 though.

Will the Rev 1 or Rev 2 matter for the X58A-UD3R ?

Damn Gigabyte I just check the manual too. My GA-H57M-USB3 Rev 2.0 also RTL8111E, I reinstall osx about 10 times try to get LAN and VGA and all fail. I still wonder why I am so stupic that many ppl got 8111D to work easily but I can't.

"This computer does not appear to have any PCI Ethernet cards installed." Man!! You Gigabyte, Kill me!

RTL8111"E" i should launch nuke at the website!!

tonymacx86 said:

Hey Tony,
When you get a chance can you add your i3 / H55N-USB3 set up to the Confirmed Desktops table in the wiki?

:)

boomzilla said:
tonymacx86 said:

Hey Tony,
When you get a chance can you add your i3 / H55N-USB3 set up to the Confirmed Desktops table in the wiki?

:)

Done :mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back