Contribute
Register

Gigabyte is working on UEFI-BIOS for Z68 & P67 (no 3D)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry if this is a silly question, but it's something that I have been wondering about.

What exactly is the difference between the Rev 1.0 and Rev 1.3 boards? I have the following exact mobo (link it to where I bought it from) and I believe that I've been using the correct bios, too tired to remember which one it is right now. I assume that I am, otherwise it wouldn't run. :p

GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3
http://www.microcenter.com/single_produ ... id=0364085

Either way, I was just wondering what the difference is. :)

superstargoddess said:
Sorry if this is a silly question, but it's something that I have been wondering about.

What exactly is the difference between the Rev 1.0 and Rev 1.3 boards? I have the following exact mobo (link it to where I bought it from) and I believe that I've been using the correct bios, too tired to remember which one it is right now. I assume that I am, otherwise it wouldn't run. :p

GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3

I guess only something with the expansion slots. (clickable)

assoricks said:
I would have loved to get an UEFI-BIOS for my GA-H55M-UD2H (Socket 1156).
The included Bios is just crap. It's damn slow detecting drives. When I do a reboot, it sometimes even turns of the PSU, waits ~5 seconds and then it turns the PSU on again and needs like 10 seconds to at least initialize the display, mouse and keyboard. Then it takes a while to find all my drives and then it *finally* load chimera. It's soooo fu**ing slow. I really regret that i bought this board. What about other motherboards? Are the new ones all that slow?

The UEFI boots to Chimera for me on the Z77-DS3H in like 2 seconds. I have never had a problem with it, but Gigabyte's Award BIOS does take at least 5-10 seconds to get up and going scanning all the drives.

Idea :idea:

If you ask Gigabyte directly, they may do a UEFI update for all Socket 1155 1st gen boards. :thumbup:

Mate94 said:
superstargoddess said:

GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3

I guess only something with the expansion slots. (clickable)

Wow, thanks much for the quick reply! I'll be looking over that! <3

I am really hoping that this new bios (when I get the balls to flash it later this evening) will do something about the usb 3.0- it's given me nothing but crap on both of the mobos that I have used since I have been doing OSX86!

tonymacx86 said:
assoricks said:
The included Bios is just crap. It's damn slow detecting drives. When I do a reboot, it sometimes even turns of the PSU, waits ~5 seconds and then it turns the PSU on again and needs like 10 seconds to at least initialize the display, mouse and keyboard. Then it takes a while to find all my drives and then it *finally* load chimera. It's soooo fu**ing slow. I really regret that i bought this board. What about other motherboards? Are the new ones all that slow?

The UEFI boots to Chimera for me on the Z77-DS3H in like 2 seconds. I have never had a problem with it, but Gigabyte's Award BIOS does take at least 5-10 seconds to get up and going scanning all the drives.

If you ask Gigabyte directly, they may do a UEFI update for all Socket 1155 1st gen boards. :thumbup:

That little bulb gave me an idea. :cool: (In fact it's a question. :lol: )

Tony, may you can't anser it, but how much time is it take to boot up the system?
Just want to compare it with Windows 8... Or is it pointless? Is Windows 8 booting faster than every Mac/Hackintosh? :lol:

For me with a HDD it takes 20 sec to get the "password screen".

tonymacx86 said:
Here's the official info as of today. There are 5 beta UEFIs available for these models:

GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 - U1h (available here: http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product ... =3973#bios)
GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 - U1a
GA-Z68AP-D3 (rev.2.x) - UA5
GA-Z68P-DS3 (rev.2.x) - UA5
GA-Z68M-D2H - U1f

http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte/28 ... post430392

Note- these are beta and require a special utility to flash. I don't recommend this for new users. I have not attempted, as I don't have any of these boards, but I'm assuming this will bring native power management and DSDT-Free operation akin to the Z77/H77 boards.

See Here: viewtopic.php?t=56617&p=351874

BE WARNED!!- you CANNOT flash back to the Award BIOS if you flash the AMI UEFI BIOS.

I Make the Update from Dos Bootable USB.On the first try to boot i take Kernel Panic then delete (with macdrive from Win) the SSDT and DSDT from the Extra and i boot normaly again and succecfull.. Now i trying some other choices and some benchmarks..
The UEFI bios make me reset all drivers from Windows and I don't recommend this for new users.

Attachments

• IMG_0109.JPG
    IMG_0109.JPG
    145.1 KB · Views: 881
Mate94 said:
tonymacx86 said:
assoricks said:

That little bulb gave me an idea. :cool: (In fact it's a question. :lol: )

Tony, may you can't anser it, but how much time is it take to boot up the system?
Just want to compare it with Windows 8... Or is it pointless? Windows 8 is booting faster than every Mac/Hackintosh? :lol:

For me with a HDD it takes 20 sec to get the "password screen".

Have you tried going with an SSD yet? I have a 60gb SSD, 500gb external 3.0, and just added a 500gb internal WD HDD, it's a great system. :)

pspdoggy said:
Thanks this is awesome! But do you know if the gigabyte Z68AP-D3 rev 1 will be possibly supported? thanks :D

Any news on GA-Z68-UD2H-B3?

Have you tried going with an SSD yet? I have a 60gb SSD, 500gb external 3.0, and just added a 500gb internal WD HDD, it's a great system. :)
My CustoMac Mini 2012 will contain a 120/128GB one. :cool:

I didn't mean I have problem with this boot time. Comparing with Windows 7 it's an other machine. :)

Mate94 said:
My CustoMac Mini 2012 will contain a 120/128GB one. :cool:

I didn't mean I have problem with this boot time. Comparing with Windows 7 it's an other machine. :)

Ah that's going to be a nice system! The prices have really dropped on the SSD since I got mine!

And indeed, it's a huge difference!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back