Mac
  1. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. 512K
  2. iBook
  3. Plus
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Like a number of people here, I've been having problems getting my system with a Gigabyte H370M-D3H motherboard being able to go to sleep or to shut down - it will suddenly boot up again after a few seconds of sleep, or when I shut the system, down, it will turn off then restart after a few seconds until I hold the power button in.

I've been applying various fixes in Clover, and of course I've been also setting up the BIOS - VT-d off, ErP on, XCHI habdoff on. And I have successfully gotten the machine to power off afterwards. Except......

When I try to power it back on, it quickly shuts back off. After a number of attempts, it finally will boot back on - but the BIOS has reset itself.

Is there something I should be setting up in Clover or the BIOS that I'm missing? Has anyone had success with this combo actually gotten sleep/shutdown working?

I'm also using a Gigabyte GTX 750Ti graphics card with the NVIDIA web drivers if that makes any difference. My system is set up as an 18.2 iMac - should I be trying another system to make it more compatible?

I have the same motherboard and the same issues you are having. I have an i7 8700K in my set up. And I don't have the 18.2 iMac, I think I have one of the older iMac settings. But the reason I came on today to look and found your post was because I know there's a post about our motherboard and the USB issues that come up if you don't customize everything right. I think there's a post about getting DSDT and only including the USB ports the motherboard has.
I can verify that my dual booting Windows 10 and Mac only has the power on issues when I shut down from the Mac OS.

If I find the post Ill come back and link it here. I usually hit the physical power supply switch after shutting down from mac. This is still my secondary to my 4 year old main computer for now. It mainly runs my VR setup using windows.

one thing I have noticed as well, with the BIOS reset, I discovered if I put the computer to sleep, it'll boot back up - but when I then shut down afterwards, the shutdown takes, with no rebooting. Strange.

Okay, I have managed to find the culprit in why my machine was behaving badly.

Turns out it's my WD MyBook 2TB USB 3.0 outboard drive, which I use for backup purposes via SuperDuper!- something about its setup interferes with shutdown/sleep and causes the rebooting. When it's properly ejected and unplugged from its USB port, both sleep and shutdown work.

My other backup drive - which is housed in an Orico USB 3.0 case and used with Time Machine - doesn't display any of this sort of problem when plugged in.

I still want to play with this a bit to get Energy Saver properly working with System Shutdown and Startup with predetermined times before I consider this completely solved, but this was a pretty good discovery. I hope this proves useful to others.

I'll have to check that out dreidel, I'm running a GA-Z97N-WiFi & NVDIA GT 1070 SC2 and having the same problems since this last update with Sierra. I'm running the same WD MyBook 2TB USB 3.0 USB drive for backups with CCC. I'll turn off the machine and then pop back in here later that night and it's back running again, and I've suffered a few BIOS resets. I'll setup a script to eject the drive and see if that helps. Thanks for the idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back