Contribute
Register

Gigabyte GTX 760 2Gb or 4Gb

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only 770's i can find are on amazon. Newegg says out of stock. I can get a used 770 off amazon for about $350.The only new one I can find says its $500 and that's out of my price range right now. Would it be better to just get a GTX 970 for $370? I'm not sure how easy those are to get going. I've seen a couple builds with them but I saw that thread about the 970's and 980's and seemed like there were some problems with them?

Edit:
I did find a new 770 on amazon for $400 which is a little better than $500, but its just a 2gb. The other was a 4gb card.

Last edited:
You're right, these prices are way to high.
I'm sorry this got so complicated.

I'm not expert on US prices, but over here 2GB GTX 770 cards start at 245 €, including 19% sales tax, currently and normally you can take tech prices 1:1. So they should start at ~250 $.
It is true that there still are very expensive cards like the Asus ROG. Also, as said, some stores don't officially carry them anymore, but it's still available at others.

And yes, the GTX 970 is faster and more power efficient and always comes with 4GB. My buddy has a Asus Strix in his PC and the fans stop unless you start a game or Photoshop, Blender, etc. Even then it's hard to hear.

Sadly, there is an issue with the 970/980, as you said: On OS X, CUDA doesn't yet work. This affects those pro apps that offload tasks to the graphics chip (instead of using the CPU), which is much faster for calculations like rendering. One well-known example is Octane Render.

Mac games use Open GL and aren't affected.

Installing the GTX 970 or 980 requires a bit more work. You need Nvidia drivers, as these cards are not yet built into Macs.

That's ok thanks for all your help. I don't do any photo/video editing. The only thing i'd really be using it for is powering a 2560x1440 monitor and playing some games. I don't think cuda is really used in either of those things is it? I know it is big for video editing but I haven't heard about it in gaming really?

Yes, as said, games are not affected. They use Open GL.

OS X itself uses a lot Open CL (not GL), as do many applications. Open CL is the direct competitor of Nvidias proprietary CUDA and works on gfx chips from all three companies (AMD, Nvidia, Intel).
Alas, CUDA is often faster than Open CL because Nvidia supports it well, and some apps are CUDA-exclusive, like Octane or the Cycles engine in Blender.
There's a (incomplete) list (click on the link to PDF)
http://www.nvidia.com/object/gpu-applications.html

The GTX 970 is very well suited to game on 2560*1440 and you can even try your luck with 4K - of course not with high settings. Overclocked 970s beat the 780Ti, at ~40W less peak usage and they're cheaper. Non-OC 970 even have 80W less peak, but are a bit slower.
(Edit: Oh, I see the 780Ti is also discontinued and hard to get, anyway)

Certainly a great gaming card, but still expensive and not yet with Apple approved drivers. That said, you can always boot Windows for a game or two, should there be any issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back