NVIDIA GeForce 9400M
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hello!
I'm preparing a buyer's list for my first Hackintosh. My configuration is: GA-Z87X-UD3H + Intel i7 4770K + Corsair Vengeance 1600 DDR3 2x8Gb + Gigabyte GTX 760. I just have a question before ordering, is that any Problem if I install the GTX 760 4Gb? In the buyer's Guide there is only the 2Gb... Any advice before I order?
Thank you in advance, and congratulations for this wonderfull website! :D:D:D

Hello!
I'm preparing a buyer's list for my first Hackintosh. My configuration is: GA-Z87X-UD3H + Intel i7 4770K + Corsair Vengeance 1600 DDR3 2x8Gb + Gigabyte GTX 760. I just have a question before ordering, is that any Problem if I install the GTX 760 4Gb? In the buyer's Guide there is only the 2Gb... Any advice before I order?
Thank you in advance, and congratulations for this wonderfull website! :D:D:D

You can use either one no problem. With a single 1080p monitor you may never need more
than 2GB, depends on how you are using it.

I actually have 2 760's here; one is the 2Gb the other is 4Gb. Both MSI models.

Both work OOB and configure perfectly in OSX; I use the latest nvidia driver package and cuda package for them both.

The 4Gb model does feel slightly smoother and more fluid overall, though I use an Apple 27" ACD here. From what I read on the web, 3-4Gb is a good size for 2560x1440 resolution, particularly when gaming.

If your screen resolution is any smaller or you dont do heavy gaming, I doubt you would see any major differences between the two.

Did you have any problems getting it to recognise as a 4GB card? Mine shows up as 2GB when it is actually a 4GB card.

I actually have 2 760's here; one is the 2Gb the other is 4Gb. Both MSI models.

Both work OOB and configure perfectly in OSX; I use the latest nvidia driver package and cuda package for them both.

The 4Gb model does feel slightly smoother and more fluid overall, though I use an Apple 27" ACD here. From what I read on the web, 3-4Gb is a good size for 2560x1440 resolution, particularly when gaming.

If your screen resolution is any smaller or you dont do heavy gaming, I doubt you would see any major differences between the two.

How big of a difference have you noticed using the 2gb over the 4gb? Would you say smooth enough to justify the price difference? Seems to be about $56 difference on amazon.

The 4GB and the GTX 760 are not the best match IMO.

To have an advantage, the memory must be put in use. That won't happen unless you game the latest titles with maximum texture resolution. Those games, however, might be too much for the 760, depending on screen resolution and all those graphics and physics settings in the game.

Another scenario is 3D renderings with CUDA engines like Blender's Cycles. If the scene is too big, it won't render. Most users haven't had this problem yet, despite 2GB, so this is highly individual.

Using 4K resolution, or multiple displays, 4GB makes more general sense.

bradonf333:
If you put the same 56$ more to make it a 2GB GTX 770, it might be the better choice, as it's roundabout 15% faster in all regards.

The 4GB and the GTX 760 are not the best match IMO.

To have an advantage, the memory must be put in use. That won't happen unless you game the latest titles with maximum texture resolution. Those games, however, might be too much for the 760, depending on screen resolution and all those graphics and physics settings in the game.

Another scenario is 3D renderings with CUDA engines like Blender's Cycles. If the scene is too big, it won't render. Most users haven't had this problem yet, despite 2GB, so this is highly individual.

Using 4K resolution, or multiple displays, 4GB makes more general sense.

bradonf333:
If you put the same 56$ more to make it a 2GB GTX 770, it might be the better choice, as it's roundabout 15% faster in all regards.

Awesome, thanks. I am new to the hackintosh world and I don't see the GTX 770 on the buyers guide for Graphics Cards. Are they still pretty easy to set up or would it be harder for a beginner to get working?

a 770 is very easy to get working. I can see about 9 or more models listed
in the Nov. guide right now. I believe they will be replaced by newer Maxwell
cards from Nvidia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back