I7-6700K
Graphics
GTX 980
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Well hello

I'm kinda new here, but after intensively searching, I cannot find a solution to my problem.

I have built my own PC (Check my signature for specs), and everything works perfectly except two things:

- Onboard sound (not a big deal)
- the Nvidia Card

I installed the Nvidia Webdrivers (346.03.06f01) and CUDA (7.5.26). My problem is, I can not use two screens, because MacOS crashes almost instantly (and does not reboot).
If I use only one screen, it works perfectly. It's an HDMI 1600x9000 Acer screen, and I am trying to make it work with a VGA screen (using a VGA to DVI adapter).

Last thing, even if I get accelerated GFX, Nvidia tells me I'm using the OSX drivers (See attachement below)

I'm using the MacPro3,1 sysdef, and I have the nvda_drv=1 and dart=0 boot flags. I'm running on Skylake, and that is pretty it... If you need more information, I'll be happy to send it. Thanks a lot for your help! :D

Broller

Attachments

• Capture d’e?cran 2016-04-21 a? 23.49.27.png
    Capture d’e?cran 2016-04-21 a? 23.49.27.png
    28 KB · Views: 197
Well hello

I'm kinda new here, but after intensively searching, I cannot find a solution to my problem.

I have built my own PC (Check my signature for specs), and everything works perfectly except two things:

- Onboard sound (not a big deal)
- the Nvidia Card

I installed the Nvidia Webdrivers (346.03.06f01) and CUDA (7.5.26). My problem is, I can not use two screens, because MacOS crashes almost instantly (and does not reboot).
If I use only one screen, it works perfectly. It's an HDMI 1600x9000 Acer screen, and I am trying to make it work with a VGA screen (using a VGA to DVI adapter).

Last thing, even if I get accelerated GFX, Nvidia tells me I'm using the OSX drivers (See attachement below)

I'm using the MacPro3,1 sysdef, and I have the nvda_drv=1 and dart=0 boot flags. I'm running on Skylake, and that is pretty it... If you need more information, I'll be happy to send it. Thanks a lot for your help! :D

Broller

The problem is your VGA to DVI adapter and VGA monitor. OS X does not support analog VGA, and you can get some pretty baffling results trying to use it, such as the behavior you are seeing. Switch to a display with a DVI, HDMI, or DisplayPort input and you'll be able to use the second display.

The problem is your VGA to DVI adapter and VGA monitor. OS X does not support analog VGA, and you can get some pretty baffling results trying to use it, such as the behavior you are seeing. Switch to a display with a DVI, HDMI, or DisplayPort input and you'll be able to use the second display.

Okay! Thanks a lot. I will try that. Also, what about the setting then? Why does it reset to OSX setting? Thanks!

P.S. Then how does it work with my MacBook Pro?

Okay! Thanks a lot. I will try that. Also, what about the setting then? Why does it reset to OSX setting? Thanks!

P.S. Then how does it work with my MacBook Pro?

Perhaps I misunderstood what you were doing - what I meant is that OS X doesn't support analog VGA output (i.e. the VGA port on your graphics card). As far as I know, you can use an active DVI to VGA adapter to connect the DVI output to a VGA monitor (someone correct me if I'm mistaken).

Not sure about the other question - maybe you should try removing the Nvidia drivers and reinstalling.

VGA adaptors do kinda work in OS X. VGA to DVI etc are problematic id recommend not using VGA in any way don't get why Graphics cards, Motherboards have VGA in this day and age anyway. OS X doesn't have no support for analog output. Use either DVI, HDMI, DisplayPort, mDP. Ive known these crappy adaptors to cause kernel panics even reboot loops on official macs so id fully recommend stay away from them.

VGA adaptors do kinda work in OS X. VGA to DVI etc are problematic id recommend not using VGA in any way don't get why Graphics cards, Motherboards have VGA in this day and age anyway. OS X doesn't have no support for analog output. Use either DVI, HDMI, DisplayPort, mDP. Ive known these crappy adaptors to cause kernel panics even reboot loops on official macs so id fully recommend stay away from them.

Okay. Gotta try this now. Thanks!

Perhaps I misunderstood what you were doing - what I meant is that OS X doesn't support analog VGA output (i.e. the VGA port on your graphics card). As far as I know, you can use an active DVI to VGA adapter to connect the DVI output to a VGA monitor (someone correct me if I'm mistaken).

Not sure about the other question - maybe you should try removing the Nvidia drivers and reinstalling.

It's a DVI-D (I guess) to VGA. The screen works perfectly if I plug it after my CustoMac has boot, but not if it is already plugged, while another screen is plugged. on HDMI. DVI-D to VGA works perfectly all alone.

Just use DVI to DVI or HDMI to HDMI to avoid any problems and avoid any sort of adaptors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back