Contribute
Register

Gigabyte GC-Thunderbolt 2 PCIe Expansion Cards Now Available for X99 Motherboards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi !

I would like to use my apple thunderbolt display with my hackintosh, but I don't have success with that.
Here is my config :
X99-UD4, i7 5930K, 32 GB RAM, 2 GTX 970.
Chimera bootloader, smbios Imac 14,1 (Random problems at boot with MacPro6,1)

Here is what I did :
I updated the bios to the latest (F12 version), loaded optimised settings.
I removed my 2nd gpu, boot in windows and installed the thunderbolt drivers.
then I installed the gigabyte thunderbolt card in the pcie2 of my motherboard (on the manual they say pci2 or 3). in the bios : security level Unique ID and cache-line 32.
On windows my apple thunderbolt display (ATD) is checked and recognised but it doesn't turn on. And if I connect a usb drive to the ATD, nothing happens.
With security level legacy only cache line 128, nothing happens at all.
Of course, on OSX nothing happens, "no devices are loaded" in About this Mac.

Any ideas ?

Problem solved ! It's just that my displayport output on my 970GTX was not active.

Apple thunderbolt Display works fine with x99-UD4, ONE GTX 970 and gigabyte gc-thunderbolt 2 add-in card.

But now, I have an other problem : with two 970 GTX, the bios starts-up automatically and there is this message :
PCI OUT OF RESOURCES CONDITIONS !
ERROR : Insufficient PCI resources detected !

I have a corsair 860w power; I thought it would be enough for that config

My config : X99-UD4, i7 5930K, 32GB RAM, 2 GTX970, 1 SSD, 2 HDD

Problem solved ! It's just that my displayport output on my 970GTX was not active.

Apple thunderbolt Display works fine with x99-UD4, ONE GTX 970 and gigabyte gc-thunderbolt 2 add-in card.

But now, I have an other problem : with two 970 GTX, the bios starts-up automatically and there is this message :
PCI OUT OF RESOURCES CONDITIONS !
ERROR : Insufficient PCI resources detected !

I have a corsair 860w power; I thought it would be enough for that config

My config : X99-UD4, i7 5930K, 32GB RAM, 2 GTX970, 1 SSD, 2 HDD

What CPU do you have the 5930 or 5820 like your bio says? I have the 5820 and I have the same problem. But if I add it up the first GPU is 16 TB is 4 second GPU will use 8 and wifi is 1 so thats 29 lanes cpu only gives 28. If you have a the 5930 you have 40 lanes and probably just need to play with link speeds.

Also if you are using clover it currently doesn't work with two GTX 970's there is an open bug for it.

Hi Einsteiniac

I'm doing this 2nd hackintosh with a 5930K for a friend, but I already have mine with 5820K as it's written in my bio.

It is working with chimera, I tried with clover in the begining like I did for my build but with no success because of the "2gpu problem".

Yes, there is 40 lines with the 5930k, so I don't understand why it's not working.

It works fine with 2 gpus, or 1 gpu + thunderbolt add-in card. I tried different slots but no success.
With the 3 cards, on windows, 1 gpu and the thunderbolt card are disabled, On osx the boot fail.

I contacted gigabyte support, they will answer tomorrow I guess.

try using the booster power for PCI Express is on the side of the mother board using the molex connector from your PSU so the PCI Express has more energy to run all slots

I have a Z87 ud5 th motherboard. The Thunderbolt ports work fine.

But I had to do 2 things:

1) I have 2 drives, 1 is windows, and my thunderbolt devices had to be initiated on windows, to later be thoroughly recognized on yosemite.

2) I had to trash all the Thunderbolt kexts from the library...

I guess you guys have to follow similar steps to have your thunderbolt fully working...

Gigabyte esupport gave me the solution !

In the bios , there is an option for thunderbolt of "reserved memory", I had to put from "maximum" to "medium", and now it works !

I will write a topic about my config this week.

I will have to look for something similar on my ASUS and see don't remember fully but I want to say you have to type a number in on the ASUS BIOS for that item. But yeah with my 5820k I don't even POST with only 2 GTX and TB card. It just keeps doing a reboot loop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back